Thoughts On League City

grram1

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on this city.....We really like it and it seems to be growing really fast.... What is the buzz about this city if there is any. I've been reading about many developments going up from the Bay Area Houston website. What is League City's reputation like? How are the surrounding areas? Any info is greatly appreciated.....

Edited by grram1

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on this city.....We really like it and it seems to be growing really fast.... What is the buzz about this city if there is any. I've been reading about many developments going up from the Bay Area Houston website. What is League City's reputation like? How are the surrounding areas? Any info is greatly appreciated.....

I've lived in League City since 2001. My dad lived here from the early 60's until his death in 1989. Its a great place to live. You are not too far from Hobby airport, the beach, the mall, Kemah boardwalk just to name a few. There are plenty if places for grocery shopping. There are nice parks and nice people. The traffic is ok except on 518 at rush hour. We don't flood, and thats always a plus. Its really a very friendly place to live. The crime rate is very low and the police do patrol the neighborhoods and give a friendly wave. Clear creek school district is one of the best and we have a new highschool opening for its first semester next fall. There are plenty of activities for the kids and teens. Old Town League City has some very nice antique shops and a beautiful park with a gazebo. Our neighboring communities of Pearland, Friendswood, Webster, kemah, Alvin and Santa Fe have a lot to offer too. I won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I love it here.

TRAFFIC IS HORRIBLE!

Edited by musicman

If you can afford it and also work near there, League City can be a good choice. The city government charges relatively high fees to developers and has requirements that developers set aside green space. Because it costs more to develop a subdivision there, the really low-end production homes aren't as common, and the community is more demographically-protected than most.

Just be sure to check what elevation you're at; League City may not flood easily, but storm surge is a different beast that could be devastating to some parts of League City.

If you can afford it and also work near there, League City can be a good choice. The city government charges relatively high fees to developers and has requirements that developers set aside green space. Because it costs more to develop a subdivision there, the really low-end production homes aren't as common, and the community is more demographically-protected than most.

Just be sure to check what elevation you're at; League City may not flood easily, but storm surge is a different beast that could be devastating to some parts of League City.

If a cat 5 hits the bay LC is gone. One reason I chose Pearland, and only considered areas west of Highway 45.

If a cat 5 hits the bay LC is gone. One reason I chose Pearland, and only considered areas west of Highway 45.

League City is a big place, so I'd be hesitant to say that it would be "gone". Parts of it would look pretty bad, but I doubt that much anything west of SH 146 would be "gone". Severely flooded, oh hell yes...but not gone.

I guess a Category 5 can one day hit and cause tremendous damage to the area........So why is it that people still build and live there? Why do people still live in Florida where hurricanes are plenty, and Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska better known as Tornado Alley. I live in California and we're supposedly due for the big earthquake, but people are still coming here. I'm not saying it can't happen but anything can happen anywhere. For myself I just want to find a nice place where my young family can grow and the people are polite, friendly, enjoys the simple things and come together when needed. (Ok I might be a little naive here!)

Anyways back to League City,

From reading the Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership website, it seams as though League City is growing rapidly with many new home and retail developments. Does anyone know if the Alore IV was ever built on FM1266 and SH96. And also since we've been talking about natural disasters, what is the average people are paying for Flood/Hazard Insurance? :wacko: And aren't the building codes a lot stricter? :huh:

Thanks everyone for your views and opinions.....I really appreciate it. :)

And also since we've been talking about natural disasters, what is the average people are paying for Flood/Hazard Insurance? :wacko: And aren't the building codes a lot stricter? :huh:

Thanks everyone for your views and opinions.....I really appreciate it. :)

League City codes are better than Houston, but aren't even close to what is required in much of Florida. Insurance is a pretty hefty expense, but tends to decline the further you go inland...and like I said, League City is a big place, so even if I knew what the average was, it probably wouldn't be a particularly useful number.

One of the good things about League City is that most people are homeowners with a mortgage, so they've got insurance and most would be able to rebuild/restore their homes in the event of a disaster. This is important because all it would take is a few unrepaired ratholes to bring down a neighborhood's desirability and demographics in the years following the storm.

Another bad thing about coastal areas, generally, is that some mortgage companies may require an insurance policy, but not necessarily one with windstorm & hail coverage. A lot of people don't realize that a basic policy may not always cover hurricane damage. Another problem: most people insure the replacement value of their home before a disaster strikes, but fail to account for the possibility that replacement will cost more when thousands of homes just like yours need the very same set of repairs. Labor prices would go through the roof!

• 2 weeks later...

I love this area. However...

The traffic will drive one away. Too much developement is spoiling the small town atmosphere.

I do truly enjoy the "professional customer service" I get when I visit HEB and Walmart, doesn't pare with my part of town. Employee's actually smile and greet you as you enter these establishments. Like it should be :P

Oh! and as the others indicate, storms will make you wish you never moved there, just too close to water's edge my friend!

Edited by Vertigo58

• 2 weeks later...

My parents moved to League City when I was still in High School (1971). I could sit in my home room class at Clear Creek HS and look out across the board flat landscape and see the water tower and drawbridge over in Kemah. It was a real convenient place to live, 25 minutes each way to Houston or Galveston. Fat chance of that today though.

Flooding occured only in the areas like Cleer Creek Village and neighbohoods closest too the creek. Stay away from Bay Colony and Victory Lakes as these are built on former rice fields and I've seen these areas stand with knee deep water for days just prior to development. Areas closest to FM 518 are 20-25 ft. above sea level. Areas south of there, like FM 646 drop off pretty quickly to 10-12 ft. Areas over by Clear Creek High School flooded during Claudette in 1979, but were okay during Alicia (1983) and Allison (2001).

I live in Santa Fe now and winstorm insurance through CATPOOL is $880 annaully for $150,000.00 coverage. Flood is $300 annually. You are right that most carriers exclude windstorm coverage in their standard homowners policies. A lot of people will be unpleasantly suprised when they try to file a claim.

Note: I lost only two shingles during Alicia, while downtown Houston suffered greatly, and I'm only 15 miles from the Gulf. So there!

• The title was changed to Thoughts On League City