KB Home And Martha Stewart

sevfiv

indeed...

Martha Stewart will help design new homes in an agreement with builder KB Home that extends the lifestyle expert's brand well beyond the merchandising of towels and kitchen utensils.
gee, i'll say...
KB Chief Executive Bruce Karatz said in an interview that additional projects were also in the works for Houston and Atlanta.

look out houston! :lol:

• 10 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&hbx=e_du

KB Home and Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc. will break ground Tuesday on the two companies' first joint community in the Houston area.

Located in Katy at Interstate 10 and FM 1463, KB Home WoodCreek Reserve: Homes Created with Martha Stewart will feature 244 homes inspired by Stewart's personal residences in Maine, Connecticut and New York.

The American Red Cross

The homes will range in size from 2,600 square feet to 5,100 square feet and will be priced from the high $200,000s to the mid $500,000s.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I didn't know KB Homes made houses in that price range? Would you buy a KB home in that price range?

If I had that much money to spend on a home, I would design it and build it on my own. KB? No way - I wouldn't even let them build a dog house for my dog (and she is deaf and blind).

• 6 months later...

there's an older article linked in this post, but the link died

here's a recent chronicle story about it, though - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4575191.html

The new line of single-family homes will cater to the domestically devout with gourmet kitchens, mud rooms and master bedrooms with fireplaces and roomy sitting areas.

Builder KB Home will open its Martha Stewart models to the public Saturday in a section of the far-west enclave of WoodCreek Reserve in the Katy area.

With prices ranging from the $300,000s to the mid-$500,000s, the properties come with marble, tile, slate or hardwood floors; plenty of wainscotting and crown molding; and windows on almost every wall.

The homes have clean lines and pale interiors painted in such colors as "Blue Hubbard," "Pale Earth" and "Dune."

Just about everything is at a right angle.

the last sentence makes me like the idea even less

Guest danax
Actually not as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, I find it more desireable in my eye to the cheesey regular builder house. What do you guys think?

I suspect that there's a large "fluff premium" added to the price just because they're MS homes.

They could end up as collectors items in 100 years, if they make it that long, especially since Martha's "done time".

The exterior of Stewart's colonial home, dubbed Katonah, is all siding. But here the model is made of brick, a preferred exterior in Houston.

too bad. i guess brick will make it fit in with all the other mc mansions :( . at least they didnt go with stucco.

the MS homes should still stand out from most everything else builders are putting up in houston.

houston builders just don't seem to have any creativity or more likely they don't have to have it.

it's frustrating to see new homes that the same builders are constructing in other parts of the country but not in houston.

David Weekly comes to mind immediately.

Edited by gnu

What's wrong with right angles. I'm so sick of fake arches in all the new homes. And the rounded corners. Give me crisp walls and details any day.

Its really frustrating when non architects design houses with arches, because they don't know how to implement them correctly. Some interiors look more like Star Trek sets with the rounded openings they have.

What's wrong with right angles. I'm so sick of fake arches in all the new homes. And the rounded corners. Give me crisp walls and details any day.

Its really frustrating when non architects design houses with arches, because they don't know how to implement them correctly. Some interiors look more like Star Trek sets with the rounded openings they have.

Oh GAWD, I agree. Seems like every house I have ever visited in Shadow Creek Ranch has one or two of those doorways and they stick out (at least to my eye) like a sore thumb, especially when the rest of the house is overdone with excessive door casing and trim and these arched doors are just rounded drywall.

• 4 months later...
Actually not as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, I find it more desireable in my eye to the cheesey regular builder house. What do you guys think?

I saw an article on the Martha Stewart homes a month or so ago in one of the Houston home magazines (forget which one, but it was glossy with a several page spread). I wanted to hate them, but they LOOK very ... nice. Very stylish, almost understated, with what looks like old world craftsmanship.

I am surprised they haven't gotten more play.

too bad. i guess brick will make it fit in with all the other mc mansions :( . at least they didnt go with stucco.

the MS homes should still stand out from most everything else builders are putting up in houston.

houston builders just don't seem to have any creativity or more likely they don't have to have it.

it's frustrating to see new homes that the same builders are constructing in other parts of the country but not in houston.

David Weekly comes to mind immediately.

My house was built by David Powers...I like it.

• 1 year later...

I liked the press pictures I saw. Does anyone know how that neighborhood finally ended up and how the houses are selling (sold)?

I liked the press pictures I saw. Does anyone know how that neighborhood finally ended up and how the houses are selling (sold)?

We visited the model homes a year ago or so and were quite impressed, especially with the fixtures, finishes, attention to detail all around, attention to natural light, and with floorplans and elevations that were far better than the usual suburban drivel. The overall quality of the product was equal to or better than some of the better custom home builders here inside the loop. The only downside was that they were only being built and sold in Katy, a couple miles past Katy Mills mall. We weren't interested in living in East Austin, even though similar houses in our neighborhood would cost at least 3X as much as these.

We went back out in December and were very surprised at how few had been built. Frankly, they would have sold much better closer to town, much closer. I think that people who move out there are looking for big, bigger, and biggest - not for quality in design, or execution. These homes are competing with other new houses in the area that are much "bigger" for the same prices, even though they may be designed and built like total crap. I reach this conclusion in part from overhearing the rather loud comments from, literally, every other group of people also touring the models during both of our visits, and from visiting nearby developers that are/were selling homes that we would never consider buying. The housing stock out there is just constituted of every exurban cliche known. The KB/Martha homes were great, just out of place.

• The title was changed to KB Home And Martha Stewart