Home On South MacGregor Way

BenH

This house has been undergoing an extremely slow rennovation/restoration. It's located in Riverside Terrace on MacGregor Way overlooking the Bayou. DSC_0005.jpg

From the aborted 2nd story I figured that any renovations had been abandoned. The house next to it is being sold for lot value and it's a pretty cool place too. The living room view onto the bayou there is amazing.

From what I've read in the Houston Architectural Guide, there were several Bailey A Swenson houses in that area, so I would guess he was probably the designer of this one as well. There is also a house in the guide that looks like that house by Ralph A. Anderson Jr, so you shouldn't count Wilson, Morris Crain, & Anderson out of it.

Ben, did you take lots of pictures in Riverside Terrace? I know you mentioned getting noticed taking pictures over there before and the resident wondering what you were up to... That side of town is woefully under-represented in Houston Mod, but when we did our mailing drive last year, we were able to get a new member from over there who was the (proud) daughter of the architect of her modern house. I forget the name off the top of my head, but it wouldn't be too hard to figure out and I could probably find her if you want to shoot over there sometime.

The Riverside Terrace Mods need their own home tour someday, but I've heard they are generally pretty private over there.

Jason

I've long since figured that the original plans to rehabilitate that house were pre-empted for whatever reason. I've not seen any work done on it in over a year.

From what I've read in the Houston Architectural Guide, there were several Bailey A Swenson houses in that area, so I would guess he was probably the designer of this one as well. There is also a house in the guide that looks like that house by Ralph A. Anderson Jr, so you shouldn't count Wilson, Morris Crain, & Anderson out of it.

Ben, did you take lots of pictures in Riverside Terrace? I know you mentioned getting noticed taking pictures over there before and the resident wondering what you were up to... That side of town is woefully under-represented in Houston Mod, but when we did our mailing drive last year, we were able to get a new member from over there who was the (proud) daughter of the architect of her modern house. I forget the name off the top of my head, but it wouldn't be too hard to figure out and I could probably find her if you want to shoot over there sometime.

The Riverside Terrace Mods need their own home tour someday, but I've heard they are generally pretty private over there.

Jason

I've shot some over there, but have been noticed nearly every time. Haven't gotten any of the Bailey Swenson houses yet, and I would love to get John S. Chase's house as well. He's still alive, from what I've heard.

Find out who the architects daughter was and I'll see if the house fits into my timeframe.

It was O'Neil Gregory, Jr's daughter. Page 150 of the guide. I'll see what I can do.

Jason

I've shot some over there, but have been noticed nearly every time. Haven't gotten any of the Bailey Swenson houses yet, and I would love to get John S. Chase's house as well. He's still alive, from what I've heard.

Find out who the architects daughter was and I'll see if the house fits into my timeframe.

It was O'Neil Gregory, Jr's daughter. Page 150 of the guide. I'll see what I can do.

Jason

What about on Laurel Drive? There was a house that I knew quite well, on the corner (don't ask me which street was on the other corner) that had a glass room on the inside. That had to be an architectural marvel, but by whom?

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Home On South MacGregor Way