City Of Houston Annexing Part Of Fairfield

dank

I read in the Chronicle today that the City of Houston is talking about annexing the commercial parts of Fairfield. I can't imagine why that would be a good idea for any of us in the area, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had information on what is going on and why they're doing it.

I read in the Chronicle today that the City of Houston is talking about annexing the commercial parts of Fairfield. I can't imagine why that would be a good idea for any of us in the area, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had information on what is going on and why they're doing it.

They're doing it because commercial properties tend to use fewer city services but have a high market value, which results in large streams of tax revenue. Also, since commercial property owners don't have a vote unless they're residents of the City of Houston, it doesn't disrupt the political balance.

They've done this all up and down FM 1960 and it should come as no surprise that they're doing it in Fairfield too.

What section of the paper?

Please.

Without Houston, there would be no Fairfield. (or is it Farfield?).

Both need each other. Without the suburbs, the city wouldn't have nearly the amount of jobs nor amenities that it has. The city benefits from suburban residents without the burden of having to provide them services.

This is great for Houston, but a crummy idea for area residents, ESPECIALLY if they would like to someday form a viable local government ruled by and for the residents of Cypress.

Tell your neighbors to contact the various water boards in question to VOTE NO for annexation.

PS - Houston, facing the possibility that a new bill will pass in Congress that will forbid this type of annexation, is trying to do this all over the county.

Both need each other. Without the suburbs, the city wouldn't have nearly the amount of jobs nor amenities that it has. The city benefits from suburban residents without the burden of having to provide them services.

I remember this discussion going on at great length when The Woodlands annexation news came up. :wacko:

I do not see the problem with the COH annexing the business districts of Fairfield. The business owners may have to pay some more taxes, but this means that the city will not annex the residents.

This perfectly fits into my idea of Houston getting a school district serving only Houston - that way, if all of Houston was to be in one school district, the district gets money but has no extra students.

The City of Houston should focus on better management of the land already in its corporate boundaries. The City is already bigger than the ENTIRE state of New Jersey. . .My God!!!

No, the metro area is bigger.

New Jersey's area: 8,729 square miles

New Jersey's area minus water: about 6555.479 square miles

Houston's area: 601.7

Houston's area minus water: 579.4

Houston area's area: (Total / Minus Water)

*Harris County - 1,778 / 1,729

*Montgomery County - 1,077 / 1,044

*Fort Bend County - 886 / 875

*Brazoria County - 1,597 / 1,386

*Galveston County - 873 / 398

*Liberty County - 1,176 / 1,160

*Waller County - 518 / 514

*Chambers County - 872 / 599

*Austin County - 656 / 653

*San Jacinto County - 628 / 571

Total: 10,061 / 8,929

By Houston area, I mean the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan statistical area, which includes Harris, Montgomery, Fort Bend, Brazoria, Galveston, Liberty, Waller, Chambers, Austin, and San Jacinto Counties.

Yeah, our counties are real large. I bet the people that actual live within the Houston developments would not make the area that large.

If the residents wanted to make their own cities, where would they get tax revenue from (besides residential tax)? Their commerical businesses would be in Houston. It means more money for the city, though.

Yeah, our counties are real large. I bet the people that actual live within the Houston developments would not make the area that large.

If the residents wanted to make their own cities, where would they get tax revenue from (besides residential tax)? Their commerical businesses would be in Houston. It means more money for the city, though.

People in Houston ETJs, in order to form their cities, must get permission from the city of Houston.

This perfectly fits into my idea of Houston getting a school district serving only Houston - that way, if all of Houston was to be in one school district, the district gets money but has no extra students.

No, the metro area is bigger.

That's a terrible idea, one that fortunately would not be politically feasible in Texas. It would only mean that HISD is able to rob the tax base of other school districts.

Btw, the metro area is bigger than the State of New Jersey, but it is also irrelevant as there is no political entity serving that entire area.

"I do not see the problem with the COH annexing the business districts of Fairfield. The business owners may have to pay some more taxes, but this means that the city will not annex the residents."

As I understand it, the annexation means the businesses will charge an extra one percent sales tax. 1/2 will go to the MUD and 1/2 will go to the city. I don't see the businesses paying extra money - just the customers who frequent those businesses. Most of which will be Fairfield residents. And if the businesses did have to pay extra they'd just pass it along. If I'm going to have to pay extra, I'd rather the money stay local, say, to the school district or to the MUD. If I wanted to pay city taxes I'd move into the city.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the city of Houston should annex most surrounding burbs, housing developments as well as businesses. It would make for an interesting time in local city gov. when the people in the burbs get a full voice in the happenings of the city as a whole. Whining and complaining about Houston taking over is a losers attitude. Welcome the fight! Those that would be taken over would come in with a loud and ever present voice to decide on the future of the city. Annexation would also give us a stronger voice in Washington to get back more of our federal dollars for our area!

Hate to sound like a dumb, but where is Fairfield?

I agree that it's good. Even if it is gonna help bring on yet another mall.

As far as those wanting to incorporate Cypress...like others said here, Not gonna happen. The difference bet. the Woodlands and Cypress is that the Woodlands has a pronounced sense of place and community that is individual and independent of its surrounding area. Dare I say, it's a "community" with almost definite boundaries.

Cypress--where is Cypress? Where does it start? Where does it end? If Cypress incorporates, how will it know where it starts and where Spring and Copperfield stops? You can't tell out there. Jersey Village is even incorporated and you can't tell where it stops and everywhere else starts.

Archived