City Of Houston Annexing Part Of Fairfield

dank

. . . . .

Cypress--where is Cypress? Where does it start? Where does it end? If Cypress incorporates, how will it know where it starts and where Spring and Copperfield stops? You can't tell out there. Jersey Village is even incorporated and you can't tell where it stops and everywhere else starts.

A start for defining boundries would be to use existing Cy-Fair ISD boundries.

I would probably start by using the areas that use "Cypress, TX" as their postal address.

These are all issues that have to be studied.

I have a Richmond address yet live only two miles from the Houston city limits, and a full ten miles from the Richmond city limits. My point? I'm sure the same unbalanced addressing exists in "Cypress".

I used to have a Missouri City address but I lived in Houston city limits.....

since I used to work that way I'll take a stab....

Ranch Country is considered Hockley so Cypress' West Boundaries will probably end right outside of Fairfield or near Bauer when the new subdivision is completed...

Katy picks up around 529 or Clay Rd. so Cypress' south border would end around there

Jersey Village runs from East of the Beltway to a small area near Jones Road...

Businesses that are near 1960 and 290 aren't in Jersey Village claim Houston so I'll say Cypress' Eastern Boundaries will start near the high school (Cy-Fair) in the older, farming communities and go towards telge.

Cypress' Northern Borders are tricky....if you drive along Spring Cypress alot of those areas consider themselves Cypress still along with Barker Cypress....I'll say it ends somewhere along there because Tomball addresses begin to pick up closer to 249.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear people who say Cypress should get together and establish itself. I hear those who think the idea is crazy. What would be the pro's and con's?

PRO - Local government in touch with community

CON - No voice in COH government (none right now)

PRO - ? any ideas?

CON - ? any ideas?

• 8 months later...
I hear people who say Cypress should get together and establish itself. I hear those who think the idea is crazy. What would be the pro's and con's?

PRO - Local government in touch with community

CON - No voice in COH government (none right now)

PRO - ? any ideas?

CON - ? any ideas?

That is what I think should happen. Cypress should incorporate. I doubt Houston would give up some of the commercial businesses it has to give Cypress more tax base though. The last time that I remember Houston giving up some of its land was when it let the City of Katy have the area around Katy Mills.

That is what I think should happen. Cypress should incorporate. I doubt Houston would give up some of the commercial businesses it has to give Cypress more tax base though. The last time that I remember Houston giving up some of its land was when it let the City of Katy have the area around Katy Mills.

Aren't you aware of the Extra Territorial Jurisdiction law that gives Houston control over all areas within five miles of any point on its city limit line. That means no area inside the ETJ can incorporate without permission of Houston City Council, and that's not going to happen. Houston wants to save these areas for itself.

Houston learned from the long and bitter court battle with Kingwood, and the certainty of a long and protracted legal battle with the Woodlands, that it's better to strip-annex commercial areas instead of residential areas. That way Houston gets the commercial tax revenue, and no angry new voters. That's how they got Willowbrook Mall. They just annexed both sides of Hwy 249 out to FM 1960. Lots of businesses, no voters.

I have a Richmond address yet live only two miles from the Houston city limits, and a full ten miles from the Richmond city limits. My point? I'm sure the same unbalanced addressing exists in "Cypress".

Yea I live near the westpark tollway and I dont understand why we have a Richmond address

Yea I live near the westpark tollway and I dont understand why we have a Richmond address

Zipcodes are not assigned by city limit boundary lines because they would be constantly changing. You have Houston bulging out into the ETJ and parts of it are taking zipcodes "belonging" to small towns. That's why it's possible to live in Houston City Limits with a Richmond, TX zip code, or parts of Katy in a Houston zip code.

Zipcodes are not assigned by city limit boundary lines because they would be constantly changing. You have Houston bulging out into the ETJ and parts of it are taking zipcodes "belonging" to small towns. That's why it's possible to live in Houston City Limits with a Richmond, TX zip code, or parts of Katy in a Houston zip code.

Furthermore, school district lines aren't drawn with regard to city limit lines. It's why there are at least seven suburban ISD's with schools inside the Houston city limits IN ADDITION TO the HISD.

You'll find all or parts of Spring Branch, Cy-Fair, Katy, North Forest. Aldine, Pasadena, and Clear Creek. There may be more but I'm short on time.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to City Of Houston Annexing Part Of Fairfield

Archived