Fairfield Marketplace

IronTiger

The first in a series of new posts I hope to do after visiting the downtown archives, I didn't get a chance to do as much as I wanted but I did find this interesting. This article describes a 15,000 square foot grocery store located at Mason and 290, with the space being mentioned as Fairfield Village. So, after doing some searching, I found it was at Fairfield Village drive off of Mason Road and not visible from the freeway (I remembered almost NOTHING being there), and sure enough a building from 1991 adjacent to Gambino's Pizza. While most searches for the building show the west view (with other tenants, including Prosperity Bank and Re/Max), I can't find anything on the front save for some information on Pet Supermarket moving in (the facade is largely altered). Despite not being able to get any information on Fairfield Market otherwise (H-E-B's "Fairfield Market" has really polluted Google searching to an impossible degree), the newspaper archives did provide help...the Chron mentions "the parking lot of former Fairfield Market" in December 2005, suggesting it has been out of business for a number of years now, probably explaining why I can't get any information (prior to 2005, any information on past businesses on the Internet gets really spotty really quick).

However, the building facade as of September 2016 is entirely intact! suggests "Fairfield Market" though I can't Google it without getting H-E-B stuff. Beyond this article, does anyone have more information on this, such as when it closed and if you have memories to share?

I found mention of it, on a website about a church of all places!

According to the church, the store closed due to a deli fire. They even include some pics! It looks like the church pushed the registers out of the way, built in some rooms and held services there. However you can still see most of the store was left untouched. Really interesting. According to the website they used it from 2010-2014. You can tell the store had definitely been vacant for a while. Check out the Pepsi logo next to the remains of the deli, definitely from the late 90s.

You can check out more here:

http://www.myfathershousecypress.com/about

delifire.jpeg

cartpeople.jpeg

storefront.jpeg

3 hours ago, SpaceGhost said:

I found mention of it, on a website about a church of all places!

According to the church, the store closed due to a deli fire. They even include some pics! It looks like the church pushed the registers out of the way, built in some rooms and held services there. However you can still see most of the store was left untouched. Really interesting. According to the website they used it from 2010-2014. You can tell the store had definitely been vacant for a while. Check out the Pepsi logo next to the remains of the deli, definitely from the late 90s.

You can check out more here:

http://www.myfathershousecypress.com/about

delifire.jpeg

cartpeople.jpeg

storefront.jpeg

Nice! They didn't even alter the facade either. I do wonder when it closed...the last verifiable date was November 1996, but I think it could've closed as late as 2003 or 2004.

Archived