Sam Houston Coliseum At 801 Bagby St.

Vertigo58

quote name='FilioScotia' date='Friday, February 9th, 2007 @ 6:44am' post='146217']

Over those years, when it was called "The Fat Stock Show", many movie stars and celebrities were part of the show in the Coliseum. It's where I saw Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Gene Autry, James Arness, and a bunch of others

I saw my childhood idol there, Chuck Connors as the Rifleman. It was in 63, the year the series ended. Chuck donated his horse "razor" for an auction. It's still one my best memories.

Yes, I believe that is City Hall.

When they tore down the Coliseum, they had an auction of everything inside, so I went down to check it out, and ended up bidding $50 for all the signage (seat locations, etc), and left right after I bid. I had never been to an auction like this, so I assumed I would get outbid, but when I stopped in later on in the day, I had won, and they had a list of people that missed out on Coliseum memorabilia, and wanted to buy some of the signs! There were tv sportscasters, Chronicle writers, all kinds of people that ended up buying them. Some were not original, but I did keep one that had been up since it was built, though.

I also spent many a Friday night at the Coliseum, guests of Paul Boesch, at Houston Wrestling-man, that was fun!

FM

Yes, I believe that is City Hall.

When they tore down the Coliseum, they had an auction of everything inside, so I went down to check it out, and ended up bidding $50 for all the signage (seat locations, etc), and left right after I bid. I had never been to an auction like this, so I assumed I would get outbid, but when I stopped in later on in the day, I had won, and they had a list of people that missed out on Coliseum memorabilia, and wanted to buy some of the signs! There were tv sportscasters, Chronicle writers, all kinds of people that ended up buying them. Some were not original, but I did keep one that had been up since it was built, though.

I also spent many a Friday night at the Coliseum, guests of Paul Boesch, at Houston Wrestling-man, that was fun!

FM

Friday Nights at the Coliseum. I lived in First Ward and my dad would take us there every friday to see the matches.

• 1 month later...

Saw U2 at the Music Hall on the WAR tour. Rememebr going to the Colieseum for wrestling...parking in the lot under 45, and crossing the tunnel bridge that crossed over Buffalo bayou...over to the entrance of the Coliseum. I still remember that red tile on the floors of the corridors...

• 10 months later...

I saw a bunch of concerts there. ZZ Top, Frampton (got mugged afterwards), Aerosmith, Journey, Judas Priest, and many others. Most memorable was AC/DC (part of a three band lineup with BTO and Foghat if I recall), where Angus Young got on Bon Scott's shoulders during an extended guitar solo. Bon walked off stage and onto the floor. He then came up one of the aisles and proceeded to walk through the perimeter halls, while Angus shook his head back and forth, playing his guitar. I also remember going to the circus there as well. I also saw Toto in the Music Hall and when we got tickets, we just went when the concert was announced and got front row seats......only time that ever happened!

I vaguely remember seeing the Shriner's Circus there in late 70's but it was amazing!

and of course too many rock concert's to name, but saved most ticket stubs. :D

The Summit was becoming the premiere state-of-the-art place for majority of new rock bands by 1978-79?

I saw a bunch of concerts there. ZZ Top, Frampton (got mugged afterwards)

Seems like there were always some shady characters hanging around the Coliseum area whenever there was a concert. I got mugged there once before I even got in the door. It was a Cheap Trick concert, and four of us were walking around the side of the building toward the entrance. I was behind everyone else and was (stupidly) carrying everyone's tickets clearly visible in my hand. Sure enough, someone that had spotted the tickets grabbed me from behind, punched me in the face, snatched the tickets and ran off.

Seems like there were always some shady characters hanging around the Coliseum area whenever there was a concert. I got mugged there once before I even got in the door. It was a Cheap Trick concert, and four of us were walking around the side of the building toward the entrance. I was behind everyone else and was (stupidly) carrying everyone's tickets clearly visible in my hand. Sure enough, someone that had spotted the tickets grabbed me from behind, punched me in the face, snatched the tickets and ran off.

Unfortunately this same shenanigans were occuring at the Summit towards the end. I truly think this was another good reason they had to shut it down. These jerks had the audacity to grab newly purchased T-Shirts from patrons. People don't know how to act.

I saw my childhood idol at the Coliseum also. I don't know how many times Roy Rogers and Dale Evans did the Rodeo, but it seems like they were there forever in the early to mid 50's. After the show, Roy and Trigger would ride around the entire arena and shake hands with all the little kids and likely a few adults. (Actually, it was just Roy who shook hands, all of Trigger's hands were busy.) The greatest thrill of my young life was I got to go "backstage". My friend's father was a reserve Deputy Sheriff and he took us back to Roy's trailer. There was a small pen attached to the trailer and Trigger and Dale's horse, Buttermilk were in the pen. I got to pet both horses and that would have been enough to make my year right there. Then, Roy came out of the trailer with some guy and asked if we were going to the Rodeo. Then he said he'd watch for us. What ever the 7 year old boy equivalent of swoon is, that's what I did.

I read a long time ago that there were two events that everybody who was in Houston at the time said they attended. One was the U of H vs. UCLA GAME OF THE CENTURY basketball game in the Astrodome in 1968. The other event that everybody either witnessed or their uncle/cousin/brother/sister witnessed occurred in the Sam Houston Coliseum. There are several versions of the story but it seems Gene Autrey was so drunk while performing at the rodeo that he fell off his horse Champion and knocked himself out. I don't think there has ever been a confirmed report of this. I am fortunate enough to have a friend who saw both events. He told me so after about 6 beers.

There are several versions of the story but it seems Gene Autrey was so drunk while performing at the rodeo that he fell off his horse Champion and knocked himself out. I don't think there has ever been a confirmed report of this.

I've heard this story all my life, and it's always from someone who knew someone who saw it, or was related to someone who saw it. Personally I don't believe it. I think it's one of those urban legends.

I say that because Gene Autry was never known for having a self destructive life style. He was as straight-arrow as they come, and one of the rare people in movies who had a knack for the business side of the industry and an eye for what would make money.

Here's what the Internet Movie Database says about him.

"In 1940, he was the 4th highest grossing box office attraction according to Theater Exhibitors of America. The only stars above him were, Mickey Rooney, Clark gable, and Spencer Tracy. By 1948, Dell Publishing was printing over 1,000,000 Gene Autry Comic Books per year. Gene Autry was #49 on CMT's 50 Greatest Men of Country Music, and he also had 2 songs on CMT's 100 Greatest Songs Of Country.

Everything Gene touched seemed to turn to gold. He saw the future of television early on, and he formed his own production company, Flying A Productions, which, during the 1950s, produced his TV series "The Gene Autry Show" (1950), "The Adventures of Champion" (1955), and "Annie Oakley" (1954). He wrote over 200 songs. A savvy businessman, he retired from acting in the early 1960s and became a multi-millionaire from his investments in hotels, real estate, radio and television stations and the California Angels professional baseball team."

Autry did the rodeos because he enjoyed getting out and seeing his fans -- not because he needed the money. That's why I don't believe the story about him falling off his horse dead drunk.

I think it was Plato who said "Live your life so that when people speak ill of you, no one will believe it." Or words to that effect.

Edited by FilioScotia

I tried to search past topics and thought for sure these were covered so unless I am mistaken so can someone please fill in the blanks?

1. Were the Coliseum & Music Hall built as one or rather in unison to compliment each other?

2. Built what year/years? and demolished?

3. Is there any documentation that could indicate which performers played there?

I know for sure I went to Ringling Bros/Barnum circus at the Coliseum around 1966 as a child. It seemed like Disneyland, only inside. First Rock Concert 1976 saw Boston w/Styx and too many after that to name. Glad I saved my ticket stubs.

My mom told me she saw Frank Sinatra twice when the Music Hall was quite new. Frank's bobby-soxer era so it must have been way back.

Here are a few photos I've collected while prowling about the I-Net. And 1 showing fire sta. 2's four bay house located on the north side of the music Hall. This was B4 Sam's place was built.

post-1976-1203799987_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1203800070_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1203800129_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1203800195_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1203800262_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1203800325_thumb.jpg

Who remembers the old City Auditorium (which stood where Tranquility Park is today next to city hall, I think) which was mentioned above?

Johnny Ace killed himself by losing a game of Russian Roulette there on New Year's eve 1954. Notorious Don Robey was said to be involved so, who really knows ...

Here are a few photos I've collected while prowling about the I-Net. And 1 showing fire sta. 2's four bay house located on the north side of the music Hall. This was B4 Sam's place was built.

Good clear photos!

Funny that 2 generations (our family) witnessed some of the most famous or current/popular stars at these places. Mom saw Frank Sinatra twice there, big sis saw The Beatles mid 60's,

then me, most popular 70's rock & New Wave bands. Best were B-52's - Wild Planet Tour and most bizarro! DEVO!

Good clear photos!

Funny that 2 generations (our family) witnessed some of the most famous or current/popular stars at these places. Mom saw Frank Sinatra twice there, big sis saw The Beatles mid 60's,

then me, most popular 70's rock & New Wave bands. Best were B-52's - Wild Planet Tour and most bizarro! DEV<B>O!

Are We Not Men? B)

Are We Not Men? B)

That was it! I just couldnt think of the tour name! Thanks!

I recall a girl (looked like Kristy McNichol) completed painted silver and bopping up & down to Whip It!

This was definetly one of the most animated LIVE shows I had ever seen and just before MTV popped out! Devo-lution.

Who remembers the old City Auditorium (which stood where Tranquility Park is today next to city hall, I think) which was mentioned above?

Johnny Ace killed himself by losing a game of Russian Roulette there on New Year's eve 1954. Notorious Don Robey was said to be involved so, who really knows ...

Tranquility park is bounded by Bagby {west, Hobby Cntr for the preforming arts}, Rusk {north, Bob Casey Federal Bldg.}, Smith {east, COH's Public Works Bldg.} & Walker {south, City Hall/Herman Sq.}

City Auditorium complex has the following address' on Texas: 701 coffee shop, 702-708 City Auditorium, 703 Auditorium Hotel {in the basement were the valet & barber shop}, & 705 Auditorium drug store. Source: Morrison & Fourmy's 43-44 City Directory page 1411.

Looking @ Downtowner Map of 1940 the Auditorium was located on the west 1/2 of the block {Texas, Capitol, Louisiana & Milam} and ran north to south tween Texas & Capitol, facing Louisiana {600 block}. It did not have a Louisiana or Capitol address. Today Jones Hall occupies that block w/an address of 601 Louisiana. Here is post card photo. I'll prowl about to see if I can find more & better quality photos.

post-1976-1204046800_thumb.jpg

I am bothered & bewildered that we even got rid of The Auditorium. Houston kicks itself again.

I never even knew that venue existed. Imagine the neat stuff inside? Are most people that experienced it all gone now? As Sylvester would say...Suffrin Succutash. -_-

I am bothered & bewildered that we even got rid of The Auditorium. Houston kicks itself again.

I never even knew that venue existed. Imagine the neat stuff inside? Are most people that experienced it all gone now? As Sylvester would say...Suffrin Succutash. -_-

The loss of the Auditorium at the time did not seem like that big of a deal since we had the Summit. But since it became the Godatorium, Houston has no decent venue for concerts. It's a shame.

Edited by LunaticFringe

My only memories of the Music Hall were seeing the Counting Crows there in 1997 with Fiona Apple as the opeing act...talk about a strange little girl...

The loss of the Auditorium at the time did not seem like that big of a deal since we had the Summit. But since it became the Godatorium, Houston has no decent venue for concerts. It's a shame.

What about the Aerial (verizon) Theatre at Bayou Place??? I have seen more than a few shows there that were some of the best concerts I have heard including Radiohead on the OK Computer tour and Wilco on the Ghost tour...it may be a little small, but that is all the better IMHO...

Correct you are my friend. With the exception of the Verizon of course but its so minuscule compared to a real concert hall should be. Everyone knows the Cynthia Woods is a living joke (and too far) and it cracks me up to mentally picture the leader singer of 38 Special swigging from a bottle of Jack Daniels on the Summit stage one moment and now its Osteen thumping on a bible. See the contrast. Snicker, snicker, chuckle, chuckle. I prefer see the other way around. Maybe it is huh? :blush:

Let me reassure you that there was no "neat stuff" lost when the City Auditorium was demolished. It was simply a cavernous, all-purpose hall with plain plaster walls and proscenium. The main floor was flat, and seating down there consisted of folding wooden chairs that would occasionally collapse during a performance. A few steps up from the main floor was the "dress circle" which had upholstered seats with broken springs. Above this were the first and second balconies, which were reached by spiral ramps instead of stairs. As a kid, I loved running up and down those things at intermission!

The stage was large and had only basic overhead lighting. Acoustics were terrible, and the sound system was probably pre-WWII. There was no orchestra pit. The street-level lobby always smelled after stale beer.

The City Auditorium was used for everything from Friday night wrestling to Houston Symphony concerts. Various touring fine arts groups played there, too. In fact, I saw my first professional ballet performance there in the 1950's - the final tour of the fabled Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo before it dissolved. I don't know why they weren't at the Music Hall - its stage facilities weren't much better, but it did have a small orchestra pit.

Years ago, someone connected with the performing arts in Houston told me that the Music Hall stage was separated from the Coliseum by a single wall that was not soundproof. Whatever was going on in one venue could be heard in the other.

It was not uncommon to hear the fire truck sirens from the nearby fire station during performances at the Music Hall.

And don't forget the concrete columns that frequently blocked your view. Yeah, the auditorium has great memories but I don't miss it at all.

Verizon is a fantastic place but to small for major acts.

I have never cared for Cynthia Woods. Houston is not the place for outdoor venues except maybe 2 or 3 months out of the year. Hell our sports teams even play under a roof the majority of the time.

from reading some of the posts, i think some people may not be clear on this:

the City Auditorium was a separate facility from the Coliseum/Music Hall. The City Auditorium was demolished in 1963 to make way for Jones Hall.

Edited by gnu

from reading some of the posts, i think some people may not be clear on this:

the City Auditorium was a separate facility from the Coliseum/Music Hall. The City Auditorium was demolished in 1963 to make way for Jones Hall.

Oops. Your right. I was thinking the two entities were the same.

In the 1940's and 1950's, the time of my youth, the Coliseum and Music Hall were the entire entertainment venues of the city. FilioScotia has nailed most of the activities. We went every year to the Fat Stock Show, where I shook hands with Roy and Dale (had front row seats) and to the RBBB Circus. I was petrified of the various people flying out of the cannon and it was so loud! One performance, an arielist actually fell doing a stunt sans net and was carried out, unconscious. It was huge and very impressive and no way could you keep up with everything at once. But, we did love it. The cotton candy was the best!

On another thread, we were discussing Hallie Pritchard Dance Studio and I posted a picture of me in my Daisy Mae costume. Well, that performance was in the Coliseum. Imagine being a tiny six year old (albeit with others) in the center of that enormous floor trying to perform. It was an awesome experience with all the lights, yet a cavernous darkness in the seating area.

The Music Hall was wonderful. All the visiting virtuosos and the symphony, plus we were the fortunate recipients of the New York Broadway touring companies' performances. Some fairly important stars were in the companies and it was entrancing. We had season tickets through the 1960's and I believe "Oliver" was the last big production I saw there.

The "other" place that Houston had for entertainment was the, in my day, "Old City Auditorium." It was disreputable and scary by the time I had to venture there for Houston Youth Symphony rehearsals, around 1951. I am sure that the popular wrestling of Paul Bosch fame was held there, although I never attended any.

When I was in high school in 1965, I had a part time job at the coliseum as an "usherette". At that time they were showing "wrestling" on what they called a "closed circuit screen". We, of course, would usher people to their seats. It was my very first job - I loved it.

For 25 years of my life I worked as an entertainer, singing in many bands. During the "80's" I was in a band called "The Barry Kaye Show band". We performed once in a concert at the summit in what was called "Country Shower of Stars" along with Donna Fargo, Jerry Reid and a few others. We had dressing rooms under the summit that were fabulous and were filled with liquor and food when we got there. A cool memory!

When I was 16 and 17 years old and a student at Robert E. Lee Sr. High I used to work as an usher at tons of rock concerts at the Coliseum and Music Hall. All you had to do was show up about an hour before the concert started wearing slacks, dress shirt, and a tie. You did not get paid. This was back in '74 and '75.

As the crowd came into the venue you would seat them in the area you were assigned to usher. This would be while the opening act would be performing. By the time the headliner came on stage your work was done and you could find a seat and enjoy the band or hang out with other usher friends.

Most of the ushers were boys from Lee, Westbury, and Milby. I saw many great rock bands...and a few lousy ones.

I also saw the Beatles play at the Coliseum when I was about 8. It was an afternoon show. Never forget it. Cannibal and the Headhungers ("Land of 1,000 Dances") were one of the opening acts.