Villagio Town Center: Mixed-Use In Katy

westguy76

Do you know that many of those katy high school students as u call them...are having their first job and don't really know what to do?...I mean dude just go back into ur life and remember ur first job..did u do a good job?....probably not..Let them work and save their money to buy their own stuff. Thank you.

Yes, I see ur point - Dude. You make perfect sense. I would expect that someone would take the time to train them, both in life and in business, but I see that is too much to ask.

Yes, I meant high school students residing in Katy. Did not mean to pick on The Big Red.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The gelato chain sounds good..i wounder how good the mexican restaurant will be...

El Rancho's current location is at the Northwest corner of Fry Rd. and Saums. They are opening their second location at Villagio, although technically it's Rialta Center (which is taking the 4 acres behind Villagio and building out to match). Their food is quite good and margaritas even better. We're leasing both developments, so if you know anyone who needs space, have 'em call me!

On another note - 5:30pm at Villagio, there will be an outdoor Disney screening of Camp Rock with food and drinks being served by Azzarelli's, BerryHill, and Buffalo Wings and Rings. Fun for the kids and parents! Come on out and enjoy! Saturday, June 28th, 2008 at 5:30pm.

El Rancho's current location is at the Northwest corner of Fry Rd. and Saums. They are opening their second location at Villagio, although technically it's Rialta Center (which is taking the 4 acres behind Villagio and building out to match). Their food is quite good and margaritas even better. We're leasing both developments, so if you know anyone who needs space, have 'em call me!

On another note - 5:30pm at Villagio, there will be an outdoor Disney screening of Camp Rock with food and drinks being served by Azzarelli's, BerryHill, and Buffalo Wings and Rings. Fun for the kids and parents! Come on out and enjoy! Saturday, June 28th, 2008 at 5:30pm.

I heard that a coffee shop is going into Villagio also, any truth?

I heard that a coffee shop is going into Villagio also, any truth?

We've talked with several, but none have been able to come up with their financials to back them. Starbucks is out because they now require a drive-thru at locations not inside other stores. If you have any thoughts about who you would like to see in there, let me know and I'll follow up with them!

We've talked with several, but none have been able to come up with their financials to back them. Starbucks is out because they now require a drive-thru at locations not inside other stores. If you have any thoughts about who you would like to see in there, let me know and I'll follow up with them!

Since I'm a caffeine-aholic, I've got several suggestions. :)

Peet's Coffee - just opened their first Houston store (at Hobby Airport) a couple of months ago.

Coffee Groundz - in Midtown and Sugarland.

Caribou Coffee - I don't think that they have any locations in Texas yet.

Good luck!

bman sounds great. Can't wait to try out El Rancho -high school wait staff and all ! :D Just kidding folks. Think I remember eating at the Saums location and if I remember correctly, it was quite good. Is Rialta North of the Berryhill sight or is it East of the Azzarelli's?

Coffee place would be great. How about a bagel place ie. like the one off of Kingsland and Mason RD?

How about "Mama's Cafe" - West side - ya know, like the one off of Westhemer. Just a thought.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible for someone to start a coffee shop right now. Brian, I guess you've seen a lot of potential clients get turned down for funding? I've been working on getting funding for a coffee shop in Richmond, and I am SO close thanks to a lot of good connections. Otherwise, start-up's are pretty much out of luck. It is sad to me that everything has to be a major chain or franchise. Maybe I'll come check your retail space out, sounds like people are definitely ready for a coffee shop at your location...

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible for someone to start a coffee shop right now. Brian, I guess you've seen a lot of potential clients get turned down for funding? I've been working on getting funding for a coffee shop in Richmond, and I am SO close thanks to a lot of good connections. Otherwise, start-up's are pretty much out of luck. It is sad to me that everything has to be a major chain or franchise. Maybe I'll come check your retail space out, sounds like people are definitely ready for a coffee shop at your location...

Commercial qualification is getting even harder than residential qualification. There are just so many mom and pops that want so badly to open shop, but financially have no business doing so. To tell you honestly, I miss most of them... the walmarts of the world are just getting too difficult to compete with. But I'll be a Midway customer till the day they close their doors. (i don't see it happening anytime soon).

berryhill is very bad. here in the woodlands we have everything so i dont care.

Sounds like someone has a woody for the Woodlands.

We went to Berryhill this weekend.........what a huge disappointment!!!!!!!

We went Sunday at 1:30 PM We had 6 adults and 2 kids. We had never been before but I have read good things.........

The place was pretty empty. I did not realize that you ordered yourself.......I told the lady behind the counter that it was our first time there.....thus giving her an opportunity to tell us about the place....no such luck.....just handed us menus......

So we placed our orders.......put together a couple tables.

I saw the chips in little bags under a heat lamp.....very cold chips.....got some salsa.....not bad salsa....

First, all our food was barely warm when we got it..........

We ordered a variet of items and I tried them all:

tamales (beef, pork, chicken) dry and tasteless

fried fish tacos ok but kinda dry

Tortilla soup very spicy, not a lot in the soup and not a great taste

Chicken dish big piece of chicken but cold on the inside

beef tacos meat was dry and the tortillas were not very fresh.

For the prices they charge, we will never go back again..................

Yep, it is unfortunate that this Berry Hill is a poor representation of the others in the city. It seems once a restaurant makes it west of Barker Cypress it goes downhill. Most people in Katy don't expect or know what good food is, so they can get away with marginalizing their product once they move west. Pulcinella on Fry and Grand Parkway is an exception to this rule.

Have you talked to It's a Grind, Peet's Coffee or Diedrich's? All fine coffee institutions who know how to run a professional coffee establishment. Also, they know how to train people.

Yep, it is unfortunate that this Berry Hill is a poor representation of the others in the city. It seems once a restaurant makes it west of Barker Cypress it goes downhill. Most people in Katy don't expect or know what good food is, so they can get away with marginalizing their product once they move west. Pulcinella on Fry and Grand Parkway is an exception to this rule.

What the %$#@ is this. Only on the internet do people think they can get away with ludicris statements like this. Welcome to HAIF, by the way. Let me get this straight though, just because I live in the Katy area I don't know what good food is. Or I shouldn't expect good food!!!! This area isn't full of Appalachia hillbillies.

Have you even been to this location? I have been to several, and I think the food is great here.

That makes complete sense to me. After all, this is a rapidly growing area with high income and education levels, so naturally no one here expects or understands what good food is.

I'm still trying to decide whether I should be offended or amused by that comment.

What the %$#@ is this. Only on the internet do people think they can get away with ludicris statements like this. Welcome to HAIF, by the way. Let me get this straight though, just because I live in the Katy area I don't know what good food is. Or I shouldn't expect good food!!!! This area isn't full of Appalachia hillbillies.

Have you even been to this location? I have been to several, and I think the food is great here.

I have been to this location as well as to several other Berry Hill locations east of Barker Cypress. On average they food at the Berry Hills east of Barker Cypress is better. I like Berry Hill, and was excited that they came to Katy, but was disappointed with the Katy location.

I was not pointing to any individuals and am sorry that you took offense to my post. I bring up my generalization based on the masses that frequent all of the bad restaurants in Katy. I would be more than happy to list them (restaurants, not the people) if you would like. If people would stop eating at these places or comment on the poor food quality, it may force them to improve or close.

Houston is considered to be the culinary capital of the nation, and Katy currently is a pimple on the face of this city highlight. I hope someday this blemish is cleared.

You are correct in that many people in Katy know what good food is. Unfortunately, they have to go west of Barker Cypress to get it. I agree, since we live in the suburbs we should not automatically have to expect bad/generic food. We should expect and have access to good food, especially for the prices we are paying for the current bad/mediocre fare.

Katy has become very diverse and more sophisticated in demographic, unfortunately the food has not caught up. I hope some day that it will.

That makes complete sense to me. After all, this is a rapidly growing area with high income and education levels, so naturally no one here expects or understands what good food is.

I'm still trying to decide whether I should be offended or amused by that comment.

It was intended more for amusement than offense. I hope the folks at Berry Hill see this string of posts, and help out with both service and food quality.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the population of Katy has become more diverse and sophisticated. It is just unfortunate that the restaurants have not kept up.

A Taco Milagro or Cafe Express would fit very nicely into The Villagio or La Centerra. I am not advocating for places such as Mark's in Montrose, but more for everyday eateries that have fresh, quality food.

I have been to this location as well as to several other Berry Hill locations east of Barker Cypress. On average they food at the Berry Hills east of Barker Cypress is better. I like Berry Hill, and was excited that they came to Katy, but was disappointed with the Katy location.

I was not pointing to any individuals and am sorry that you took offense to my post. I bring up my generalization based on the masses that frequent all of the bad restaurants in Katy. I would be more than happy to list them (restaurants, not the people) if you would like. If people would stop eating at these places or comment on the poor food quality, it may force them to improve or close.

Houston is considered to be the culinary capital of the nation, and Katy currently is a pimple on the face of this city highlight. I hope someday this blemish is cleared.

You are correct in that many people in Katy know what good food is. Unfortunately, they have to go west of Barker Cypress to get it. I agree, since we live in the suburbs we should not automatically have to expect bad/generic food. We should expect and have access to good food, especially for the prices we are paying for the current bad/mediocre fare.

Katy has become very diverse and more sophisticated in demographic, unfortunately the food has not caught up. I hope some day that it will.

It was intended more for amusement than offense. I hope the folks at Berry Hill see this string of posts, and help out with both service and food quality.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the population of Katy has become more diverse and sophisticated. It is just unfortunate that the restaurants have not kept up.

A Taco Milagro or Cafe Express would fit very nicely into The Villagio or La Centerra. I am not advocating for places such as Mark's in Montrose, but more for everyday eateries that have fresh, quality food.

OK, I get your point, and no offense taken :D , although I would point out that there is a string of independant restaurants on Mason which you are not considering. (Mantra, Bistro 829, etc.)

I agree completely with you about Taco Milagro, Cafe Express, etc. and how well they would fit into Villagio or La Centerra, and I think that it is just a matter of time before they arrive. Neither of those restaurants would survive today in those locations because there is not enough employment in the area to draw a weekday lunch crowd. My personal opinion is that the development of St. Luke's and KBR on Grand Parkway will change that quickly. Those people will be looking for places to eat and the demand will get filled rapidly.

We all agree that there are too many generic restaurants in Katy, but I don't see Villagio as part of that problem. The mix of restaurants in that center is good and with an independant Greek restaurant and an independant Irish pub under construction, it will get better.

I've been to Berryhill several times and I agree that it's not great, I just don't think that it's fair to imply that the reason that it's not their best location is because it's in Katy.

OK, I get your point, and no offense taken :D , although I would point out that there is a string of independant restaurants on Mason which you are not considering. (Mantra, Bistro 829, etc.)

I agree completely with you about Taco Milagro, Cafe Express, etc. and how well they would fit into Villagio or La Centerra, and I think that it is just a matter of time before they arrive. Neither of those restaurants would survive today in those locations because there is not enough employment in the area to draw a weekday lunch crowd. My personal opinion is that the development of St. Luke's and KBR on Grand Parkway will change that quickly. Those people will be looking for places to eat and the demand will get filled rapidly.

We all agree that there are too many generic restaurants in Katy, but I don't see Villagio as part of that problem. The mix of restaurants in that center is good and with an independant Greek restaurant and an independant Irish pub under construction, it will get better.

I've been to Berryhill several times and I agree that it's not great, I just don't think that it's fair to imply that the reason that it's not their best location is because it's in Katy.

There won't be anymore restaurants in Villagio after the Irish Pub. However, the 4 acres directly behind Villagio is another development named Rialta Center and might. As it stands now, there WILL be a El Rancho Mexican Restaurant on the pad site. I've got a great contact who has direct connections with most of the major heavy hitters in the Houston restaurant scene, and I'm hoping to bring some better eateries here.

Also - in case you didn't know, Qdoba will be opening in the old Hartz location near I-10 and Mason. It's a concept mexican chain that is new to the Houston area. I look forward to trying out their goods.

There won't be anymore restaurants in Villagio after the Irish Pub. However, the 4 acres directly behind Villagio is another development named Rialta Center and might. As it stands now, there WILL be a El Rancho Mexican Restaurant on the pad site. I've got a great contact who has direct connections with most of the major heavy hitters in the Houston restaurant scene, and I'm hoping to bring some better eateries here.

Also - in case you didn't know, Qdoba will be opening in the old Hartz location near I-10 and Mason. It's a concept mexican chain that is new to the Houston area. I look forward to trying out their goods.

Thanks for the updates. What about the greek restaurant? There was a coming soon sign last time i went.

I have eaten at a Qdoba in Cambridge, MA, right across from Harvard. It is the same concept as Chipotle, with a little more variety. It is worth a try if you want a burrito, and do not want Chipotle or Mission.

I love Mexican/Tex-Mex food, but how many new such restaurants do we need in Katy? Where's the variety?

Mission, Qdoba, and Chipotle are all decent, but I can't see driving past one of them to go to another. Apparently our love of burritos is so great that they only need to draw from a small area.

Houston is considered to be the culinary capital of the nation, . . .

Houston is considered to be the fast food and chain restaurant capital of the nation,

There, fixed that for you! ;)

For actual cuisine, you would need to go to San Francisco (which the French refer to as 'America's stomach') or perhaps New York. Houston has maybe five or six 'world class' dining spots, and lots and lots of basically decent establishments that are crowded with customers all the dang time, so good for them!

That said, Katy is getting some okay restaurants and their newly opened chain units are coming up the learning curve in both food and service quality. I've learned not to go to a new Katy area eating spot until about four or five months after opening to give them time to get their feet under them and fire the waitstaff who weren't going to cut it.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know if the Buffalo Wings and Rings is still open.

Went by there this afternoon and the place was dark, no cars, no lights or anything.

Wouldn't think the storm still has them shut up.

I wouldn't be surprised though if they were out of business as that is about par for support of resturants outside of the major chains in this area.

Went by there this afternoon and the place was dark, no cars, no lights or anything.

I wouldn't be surprised though if they were out of business as that is about par for support of resturants outside of the major chains in this area.

A visit to their website says "Location closed"

They are indeed closed. Working on an awesome replacement though!

They are indeed closed. Working on an awesome replacement though!

I'm sure the darkly tinted windows saved on energy but they always made the place look like it was closed. The service and food weren't up to par either. I like to see these places succeed but Wings and Rings didn't seem ready to compete. A little outside seating might help that location, as might some activities in the courtyard like at La Centerra. The Benihana type hibachi grills at Tokyo Steak and Sushi in the Villagio make it a fun place to go for a change of pace and I hope it's traffic picks up. Right now the success seems to be down at the Berryhill, Azzerelli's end of the center.

I am interested in trying out the steak and sushi place, but I don't have any budjet this month for eating out, I hope it makes it if it is good.

There are lots of rings places , has anyone been to the one in the Villagio development? report?

Buffalo Wings and Rings is the one in Villagio.

Bman,

Would you happen to know what the replacement will be? :)

Also, this wing place has gone down hill. It started out ok...not great...and got worse and worse.

I had a feeling it wasn't going to last...especially with much better choices in the same center. (Azzerelli's, BerryHill, etc.)

Also, I wonder when the Greek restaraunt will open...

My family tried it once and thought is was pretty good. They had just opened so the service was a little shakey, but overall a good experience. We would have gone back but just kind of forgot about the place until I read this. Seems like they didn't market it very well. Some advertising with some specials, kids eat free nights, etc would get the people back in - I don't ever remember seeing anything like this in the mail.

Yea...I agree...with the dark tinted windows it made it seem it was closed when I would pass by. I must admit that living closer to I-10 keeps me from venturing into the Cinco Ranch market when I think of places to eat. I think the Villagio concept is good being in the center of a neighborhood...what those eateries need is more retail traffic...a good combo of retail + food= success for all. La Centera is limited on the food (IMO), but getting better. That lifestyle center would be even better if it had a resort style hotel anchoring it...sorry to see an eaterie vanish before I had a chance to try it....I guess I need to make a more concerted effort to venture into the heart of Cinco and see what other offerings are there....

Archived