Tip or No?

Parrothead

Every time I go to our Mister Car Wash I see people going to their cars and not tipping, then I see a few that tip, and I end up defaulting to tipping because I'd rather over pay than under pay. When I leave I am always wondering what is right? I have seen some places that actually have a tip bucket outside, but this particular one does not.

What do you do, and what do you think etiquette dictates?

Every time I go to our Mister Car Wash I see people going to their cars and not tipping, then I see a few that tip, and I end up defaulting to tipping because I'd rather over pay than under pay. When I leave I am always wondering what is right? I have seen some places that actually have a tip bucket outside, but this particular one does not.

I usually look to see who has done the most to the car while drying and putting on the Armor All, and that is who I give the dollar or more to.

I always tip. I am willing to bet that they pool tips at the end of the day among everyone. I usually put the money in the jar if there is one since it's easiest.

My rule for tipping is this: if it's a service (like a carwash) and the person/people doing the brunt of the work are not the ones profitting, I tip.

For example, I don't tip my hairstylist b/c she works for herself. When she worked at a salon, I tipped her b/c the price of my cut went to the establishment. Now she just rents a chair, so most of the $$ is hers.

I always tip. I usually just give it the person who looks like they did the most on my car, but I also have the issue of who to give it to sometimes. I am pretty sure they pool their tips at the end of the day, but I am not sure how they protect from a dude slipping a few $5 bills in his shorts. I am just glad it is not me out there in the dead of summer. I am not sure this is a worse job.

I don't know about etiquette but I tip 5 bucks. I worked at a car wash in high school and college and we always pooled our tips. In the summer it's a wretched job and in the winter-in my case because I've never done well in the cold-it's a frosty hell so any extra was welcome.

I always tip. I am willing to bet that they pool tips at the end of the day among everyone. I usually put the money in the jar if there is one since it's easiest.

My rule for tipping is this: if it's a service (like a carwash) and the person/people doing the brunt of the work are not the ones profitting, I tip.

For example, I don't tip my hairstylist b/c she works for herself. When she worked at a salon, I tipped her b/c the price of my cut went to the establishment. Now she just rents a chair, so most of the $$ is hers.

In my job i perform a service. I do the brunt of the work. I do profit by earning my wages. just like the carwashers. i do not profit from the built in profit that is usually reserved for the owners/managers.

you are supplimenting someone's salary unneccesarily.

I personally am not in the business of supplimenting someones elses salary from my own. i am not a welfare company.

this is the same as table servers, why tip someone so their employer can pay them less??

i personally wash my own car. but i would see no reason to tip if i'm already being charged?

why do you? i am also not keen on being forced or made to feel like i should do something because other people do? thats what tipping feels like to me, a lack of common sense.

In my job i perform a service. I do the brunt of the work. I do profit by earning my wages. just like the carwashers. i do not profit from the built in profit that is usually reserved for the owners/managers.

I personally am not in the business of supplimenting someones elses salary from my own. i am not a welfare company.

this is the same as table servers, why tip someone so their employer can pay them less??

i personally wash my own car. but i would see no reason to tip if i'm already being charged?

why do you? i am also not keen on being forced or made to feel like i should do something because other people do? thats what tipping feels like to me, a lack of common sense.

You are the reasons that GOD created Drive-thrus.

The downside might be the next time you return to that restaurant you may get crappy service. On the other hand there are hundreds of restaurants in Houston so you won't need to worry about repeating yourself.

Waiters talk to waiters and they ALWAYS remember the guy that didn't tip.

B)

The downside might be the next time you return to that restaurant you may get crappy service. On the other hand there are hundreds of restaurants in Houston so you won't need to worry about repeating yourself.

Waiters talk to waiters and they ALWAYS remember the guy that didn't tip.

B)

this is what i mean why should i be scared into giving my hard earned money away. none of the clients i interact with at my job offer me tips they just quietly pay the boss. he takes his money he earned and the profit and then he runs.

if i am not making enough money i will find a new job or get more education or except i have topped out. not beg for money thats for sure

this is what i mean why should i be scared into giving my hard earned money away. none of the clients i interact with at my job offer me tips they just quietly pay the boss. he takes his money he earned and the profit and then he runs.

if i am not making enough money i will find a new job or get more education or except i have topped out. not beg for money thats for sure

The State of Texas regulates how much Restaurants have to pay certain employees, they set the bar. Waiters are basically on a commission set basis, they get $2.31 an hour and rely on others generosity and knowledge that these folks bust their @$$ in order to make you happy, so that you will come to their place of employment again. There job performance should be reflected in their TIP from you as a consumer, or don't be a consumer if you know how these people expect to get paid for their job and you blatantly refuse to pay accordingly. Remember kids, 15% is the norm.

Just like the product you sell for your boss, your price may be higher than anyone around, and they know they can go get it cheaper down the street, but they will pay EXTRA for YOUR service. If you were a Jackass to any of your bosses clients, do you think they would come back ? Like I said though, Drive-thru was invented for people like you.

Don't be scared. Just hope you don't fall into the shoes of a waiter should you lose your currernt lively hood.

BTW, waiters don't beg for a tip. I'm not sure where you are dining. You seem to be way out of the mainstream when it comes to tipping.

BTW, waiters remember those that don't tip and waiters spread the word. Waiters ALWAYS remeber the guy that didn't tip.

B)

I don't know about etiquette but I tip 5 bucks. I worked at a car wash in high school and college and we always pooled our tips. In the summer it's a wretched job and in the winter-in my case because I've never done well in the cold-it's a frosty hell so any extra was welcome.

Never thought about the weather conditions before, and they can be extreme in Houston. I will tip now, and i have never tipped at the car wash before. At restaurants i usually automatically tip between 15 and 20% sometimes even if the service is not so good.

Never thought about the weather conditions before, and they can be extreme in Houston. I will tip now, and i have never tipped at the car wash before. At restaurants i usually automatically tip between 15 and 20% sometimes even if the service is not so good.

You are right Moonman, 15% is what they would like. 20% is like THANK YOU KIND SIR ! They really do appreciate 20% because they DO NOT expect it. But, 15% isn't an automatic, you should base it on performance. Waiters know there is an actual "timeframe" for drinks and food to reach a table. It should not be a "well, it will get to the table when it gets to the table" type of attitude, although you do get that mentality sometimes. :D

Geez, now I don't feel like such a lousy tipper after all.

I don't know what you do for a living so I won't judge you as harshly as others might on here.

In my previous corporate life, I also provided a service. I got a decent wage that I lived on, my boss got the praise and I recieved kudos from him.

My Clients' satisfaction was my tip and and I was thankful for it. Enough of those satisfactions I would then use for an increase in wage.

I used that in several jobs and it had done wonders, in one case, increasing my income 150% in just 4 years which also helped pay for my insurance and paid days off.

And when I went into the resturants, I tipped well, because they did a good service and didn't tip as well if they didn't. Service improved as I began to frequent the same places as word got around.

Now that *I* am in the service industry, I charge what I would consider reasonable wages. But if my clients feel that I did a better service than they expected, I do get tips. They aren't supplimenting MY income, they are giving thanks for a job well done.

Those that are generally in the service industry work hard for you to enjoy your experience on the night out in the town. I have seen peopleput up with quite a few jerks in the hopes that perhaps they would get a decent tip. Sometimes they're rewarded, sometimes they're not.

As far as tipping goes, I think I'm a damned good tipper when I go to a resturant.

When in a drive through, I don't tip.

But I DO tip when I go to a Sonic, I also noticed my food arrives before the other people that ordered before me. A nice bonus.

As far as your tipping goes, that's up to you, but believe me, they curse you under their breath and it's doubtful you'll get the same outstanding service from the same people afterwards. Believe me. They have excellent memories.

in regards to car washes...I put a fiver in the pool if I don't have anything specialized and tip a 5 if I see the person doing a detailed job on drying my car.

If I order a wax or whatever, I put in 2 or 3 bucks in the jar, but palm him a 10 or 20 if the guy did a great job.

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I waited tables for three years in school, from 1990-1993. I worked my tail off, and only got $2.11 per hour base pay. That was the norm. I am saddened to see that in over ten years, that has not gone up significantly more. Do car wash employees go by the same scale? If so I will probably tip them more than $3!

And yes, we DID remember who didn't tip. >:)

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I waited tables for three years in school, from 1990-1993. I worked my tail off, and only got $2.11 per hour base pay. That was the norm. I am saddened to see that in over ten years, that has not gone up significantly more. Do car wash employees go by the same scale? If so I will probably tip them more than $3!

And yes, we DID remember who didn't tip. >:)

They get paid minimum $5.75. Tipping is not expected at a carwash but is appreciated. I worked 2 summers at a carwash in Mississippi when I was in college. NOT a fun job during the summer, but you never stayed past 6:00pm.

You are the reasons that GOD created Drive-thrus.

Spot on, TJ.

If you don't want to tip, westguy, don't go anywhere that you'll be waited on. As others mentioned, waiters make $2.13/ hour. Tips are really commissions for them. If you don't understand what that does for your level of service, go to Europe and eat at a restaurant. The waiters there get paid an hourly wage and do not get tips. The service is unbearable b/c the servers have no reason to care. The reason we get the service we're accustomed to here is b/c waiters depend on their tips to pay their rent.

Spot on, TJ.

If you don't want to tip, westguy, don't go anywhere that you'll be waited on. As others mentioned, waiters make $2.13/ hour. Tips are really commissions for them. If you don't understand what that does for your level of service, go to Europe and eat at a restaurant. The waiters there get paid an hourly wage and do not get tips. The service is unbearable b/c the servers have no reason to care. The reason we get the service we're accustomed to here is b/c waiters depend on their tips to pay their rent.

So true. Waiters in Europe suck. Granted we are a less patient society in the States and are used to dinning quickly. I have grown so accustomed to quick service that I come to expect it everywhere I am. I have spent much time in Europe and the service always drives me crazy. Usually I am just hungry and grumpy and expect a drink to be brought within 10 minutes of sitting down. For the most part I have chilled out and come to expect it when overseas. I usually end up tipping them 10% in europe if I think it will be appreciated. It is my way of saying: "Thanks for the service, I am a stupid American and feel it neccesary to tip you even thought your service sucked."

On the flip side, there is nothing worse than sitting in a restuarant in the US and not wanting to be bothered as you enjoy a bottle of wine and your company and having the annoying waiter bug you the entire time.

When it coms to restuarants, I guess I have issues.

P.S. I was a waiter for 4 years in college and I feel like I always had a gauge on the people I waited on. If they were in a hurry, I was in a hurry. If they wanted to be left alone I left them alone. Of course I was a Chili's waiter so the crowd was usually casual and in for a quick bite.

Archived