Howard Hughes Mansion At 3921 Yoakum Blvd.

LarryDallas

It wouldn't surprise me if the ride part was true. But giving away 156 mil.. Why 156? Why not an even 150 mil? It's the "odd" number which makes me think that part is hogwash.. But then again, you never know..

The number 156 has some significance. It's been speculated for years that Dummar got it from the media's reporting that Hughes' estate was worth 1.56 Billion dollars. 156 million is ten percent of that.

But, as you say, why ten percent? Why not five percent? Or 20 percent? Or even 25 percent? Hell, even one percent would have been 15.6 million, which a judge might have found mildly credible. But nooooooo. Melvin Dummass had to have an incredible ten percent.

Edited by FilioScotia

It was often like a 3 ring circus, with all the secrecy involved. The book also included the details of the last

trip to Houston. He was so far gone at that point, he probably didn't even know he was in a jet..

Most seem to think it was about 1960 when he started getting really weird.. The TWA thing he had went through

evidentally put of a lot of strain on him, and something snapped a bit, and he turned reclusive..

But anyway, he did quite a few things in his life to earn his way into the history books. Just the aviation stuff

was pretty notable. And I think thats where his heart really was until the end. He sat in his bed, and dreamed

of flying airplanes, etc.. And like I say, sometimes he acted on the impulses, even though it was a major ordeal

for him to do so. But he had so many "yes men" around him, he could pull it off.

That's the kind of weird stuff I was talking about. All I ever heard was that he was an old, old man holed up in a big mansion until he finally kicked the bucket.

I never knew he was being investigated by the FBI.

It was often like a 3 ring circus, with all the secrecy involved. The book also included the details of the last

trip to Houston. He was so far gone at that point, he probably didn't even know he was in a jet..

Most seem to think it was about 1960 when he started getting really weird.. The TWA thing he had went through

evidentally put of a lot of strain on him, and something snapped a bit, and he turned reclusive..

But anyway, he did quite a few things in his life to earn his way into the history books. Just the aviation stuff

was pretty notable. And I think thats where his heart really was until the end. He sat in his bed, and dreamed

of flying airplanes, etc.. And like I say, sometimes he acted on the impulses, even though it was a major ordeal

for him to do so. But he had so many "yes men" around him, he could pull it off.

That's the kind of weird stuff I was talking about. All I ever heard was that he was an old, old man holed up in a big mansion until he finally kicked the bucket.

I never knew he was being investigated by the FBI.

Where did the FBI comment from from? That sounds strange to me seeing how Mr. Hughes was in bed with the CIA on the Glomar Explorer project to raise the sunken Russian submarine.

Where did the FBI comment from from? That sounds strange to me seeing how Mr. Hughes was in bed with the CIA on the Glomar Explorer project to raise the sunken Russian submarine.

Hughes seemingly had been tracked by the FBI since 1943. According to "Howard Hughes: The Untold Story," the military wanted to know how Hughes was spending the money he was making off his military contracts. The book mentions that Hoover was reluctant to investigate Hughes because they both "were superpatriots, who respected each other and shared the same fear of the communist menance." But, under pressure from the Army, Hoover relented.

It looks like some of the papers are available to the public, too.

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/howard_hughes.html

J Edgar Hoover was the FBI, and Hoover kept files on everybody so he could use the information to get whatever he wanted. Why wouldn't he keep files on Hughes?

Somebody should have investigated J Edgar and his wife, Clyde Tolson.

During the hearings it was pointed out that Hughes did not donate one airplane to help in the war effort and that was a big blow which he could not answer to. Nowadays that sounds minuscule but during WWII American patriotism was huge, unlike today where everyone seems to joke and insult the Pres, etc.

His reputation for wasting $ and outragious unnessary spending is what made him look bad in the eyes of many I'm sure. I never knew he almost died in his own plane either. Depicted in the film (The Aviator). Not sure if he considered himself a religious man either? He had many mental issues to deal with to think of religion. ;)

Hughes Tool moved to The Woodlands in the early 90's. I got sent over to the Hughes Tool buildings on Polk St. to measure the footprint of some old lab benches and other geological equipment to make sure that the drain connections would work in the new building. It was weird walking around that place. The buildings are all still standing, but are leased to other businesses.

• 1 month later...

After watching The Aviator, I wondered if there were any lasting architectural remnants of Howard Hughes' short life in Houston? Where did the Hughes live? Is his old house still standing? What about the old Hughes Tool building? I know about his gravesite, but little else.

After watching The Aviator, I wondered if there were any lasting architectural remnants of Howard Hughes' short life in Houston? Where did the Hughes live? Is his old house still standing? What about the old Hughes Tool building? I know about his gravesite, but little else.

I'm not 100 percent sure of this, but I believe his family's house is still standing in a neighborhood not far from the Museum of Fine Arts. On South Boulevard I think, in one of those beautiful old neighborhoods with large stately looking homes where Houston's "Old Money" families used to live.

I also think "some" of the old Hughes Tool buildings are still standing on Polk Street on the east side. I've been told that the original office building is still there.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Edited by FilioScotia

The house he grew up in was donated to Rice.That's where he went to college. He,did not graduate.He dropped out. Hughes Tool still operates the last I heard. He was a very interesting person.He is a prime example of that having alot of money can't make you happy.He was a very troubled soul. He was good looking,very bright and rich to boot.Retama I will get some more info for you about the current status of Hughes Tool.

Howard Hughes' family lived in the Beaconsfield for at least a portion of his childhood. It's still standing and is located at 1700 Main St.

Merge this topic with the other Hughes topic within Historical Houston please someone! I seldom see mods names appear so dont know which one to let know. Peace

Right you are. We actually had three topics going so they've all been merged chronologically.

Merge this topic with the other Hughes topic within Historical Houston please someone! I seldom see mods names appear so dont know which one to let know. Peace

If you want topics merged or split or any other moderator action, please use the "Report" button on the lower left. If you just make a post about the problem there is no way to guarantee we will see it.

Thanks

Sub.

I'm not 100 percent sure of this, but I believe his family's house is still standing in a neighborhood not from the Museum of Fine Arts. On South Boulevard I think, in one of those beautiful old neighborhoods with large stately looking homes where Houston's "Old Money" families used to live.

I also think "some" of the old Hughes Tool buildings are still standing on Polk Street on the east side. I've been told that the original office building is still there.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Close! The Hughes family home on Yoakum is part of the University of St. Thomas campus.

More info can be found here.

Edited by gonzo1976

• 10 months later...

The notable locations in Houston of the Howard Hughes Family:

1404 Crawford: Howard Hughes, Sr., and his pregnant wife lived in a house located within the confines of the present day Toyota Center(believe it or not). The mother was afraid of the mosquitos and moved to Humble to deliver Howard, Jr. in 1905.

McKinney street: The Hughes family lived on McKinney street in Eastwood, but the exact address is debatable.

2nd street & Girard: The original Sharp-Hughes Tool company was located here on present day University of Houston Downtown campus. There is a art/sculpture that depicts the three headed drill bit that Howard, Sr. invented (1909) and patented.

1700 Main street: The Hughes family lived in the Beaconsfield apt/hotel in 1916(room 2A). Howard was 11 years old. The hotel still stands and has been renovated.

3921 Yoakum street: The Hughes family home was built in 1918 and Howard, Jr., spent his teenage years here. The home transferred to the University of St. Thomas in 1953. They currently teach theology out of his house. Howard kept the home so that his aunt could live there after he went to Calfornia in 1925.

1212 Main street(Humble building): Howard Hughes, Sr., died in his office on the 5th floor in 1924.

2525 Washington Avenue(Glenwood cemetery): Howard, Jr., Sr., and his aunt are all buried in a plot long the western edge of the cemetary.

Close! The Hughes family home on Yoakum is part of the University of St. Thomas campus.

More info can be found here.

1404 Crawford: Howard Hughes, Sr., and his pregnant wife lived in a house located within the confines of the present day Toyota Center(believe it or not). The mother was afraid of the mosquitos and moved to Humble to deliver Howard, Jr. in 1905.

McKinney street: The Hughes family lived on McKinney street in Eastwood, but the exact address is debatable.

2nd street & Girard: The original Sharp-Hughes Tool company was located here on present day University of Houston Downtown campus. There is a art/sculpture that depicts the three headed drill bit that Howard, Sr. invented (1909) and patented.

1700 Main street: The Hughes family lived in the Beaconsfield apt/hotel in 1916(room 2A). Howard was 11 years old. The hotel still stands and has been renovated.

3921 Yoakum street: The Hughes family home was built in 1918 and Howard, Jr., spent his teenage years here. The home transferred to the University of St. Thomas in 1953. They currently teach theology out of his house. Howard kept the home so that his aunt could live there after he went to Calfornia in 1925.

1212 Main street(Humble building): Howard Hughes, Sr., died in his office on the 5th floor in 1924.

2525 Washington Avenue(Glenwood cemetery): Howard, Jr., Sr., and his aunt are all buried in a plot long the western edge of the cemetary.

2525 Washington Avenue(Glenwood cemetery): Howard, Jr., Sr., and his aunt are all buried in a plot long the western edge of the cemetery.

I can see that, as you're up to FOUR posts now with the exact same information: two new threads and two replies to previous posts. :lol:

Let me give you an unofficial welcome to HAIF... Welcome! You only need to post something once. We'll see it. :)

I can see that, as you're up to FOUR posts now with the exact same information: two new threads and two replies to previous posts. :lol:

Let me give you an unofficial welcome to HAIF... Welcome! You only need to post something once. We'll see it. :)

awwww......new haifers are so cute when their numbers are low. that have that new haif smell. :)

Welcome to the system.

Welcome to The HAIF.

Most of the regulars use the "View New Posts" feature, so they saw all of your posts about where Howard Hughes lived come out in one big blurp.

Yeah, I was wondering if I was having Deja Vu or if it was just the beer.