Houston Graffiti

claydwilli

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’ve noticed a new tag around Houston in the last few months. They are simple tags with the letters “GY.” They do not seem to be done by anyone with any particular talent and are more often than not just black lines on a wall, or the base of a stoplight. This makes me think that they are a new gang tag. They have been showing up in the Montrose and Museum districts and down Richmond towards the Galleria. I was wondering if they might have been transplanted from New Orleans. Does anyone know anything about this?

mentioned this fella earlier in the taft/w. gray thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...indpost&p=60075

i believe "GY"/graveyard, is one person who primarily tags in 4th ward,

downton & montrose. modern tagging is not all gang related. i actually

see fellas around 6:30am off of w. alabama tagging along the street in

full view. the new thing is for fellas to actually include the time the tag

was made, which is sort of silly.

I hope prosecutors use this information at sentencing hearings.

well, i think its silly partly because it seems that patrolling

would be increased, since indeed, many tags are made

around the same time.

the area i am talking about is where i ride my bike to

work daily and i have yet to see any increase in (or

presence of) patrolling, even as the tagging has

increased exponentially in that area.

yet, they do seem to post citations on the empty

buildings that are tagged in quite a hurry...

yet, they do seem to post citations on the empty

buildings that are tagged in quite a hurry...

increased patrolling for graffiti probably ain't gonna happen, it seems like it's easier for the city to post citations on the buildings rather than the taggers!

I've seen an actual full name tag of "GRAVEYARD'S" with a couple of tombstones and such , not just a "GY", right around Montrose and Dallas, by an entrance to a dwelling on the fence facing the street. I was wondering the significance of it. I think I know now.

GY does stand for graveyard. Its the name of their crew, its not one person. GY was started by Yano, Meat and Verb as a merger between 2 crews, Yano's RTL, and Meat and Verbs DTS. Now GY is Bones, Abel, Lingo, Epic, Germ, and a few others. And no, none of them are black refugees from New Orleans you rumor monger.

GY does stand for graveyard. Its the name of their crew, its not one person. GY was started by Yano, Meat and Verb as a merger between 2 crews, Yano's RTL, and Meat and Verbs DTS. Now GY is Bones, Abel, Lingo, Epic, Germ, and a few others.

I'd love to put a cap in all of their helmets.

increased patrolling for graffiti probably ain't gonna happen, it seems like it's easier for the city to post citations on the buildings rather than the taggers!

Part of the problem is that taggers have to be caught in the act, and they work quickly.

We have a law on the books preventing people from carrying open containers of alcohol, which is supposed to cut down on public intoxication and drunk driving. We even have a law in Texas preventing people from carrying wire cutters (left over from the days when free-range cattlemen battled ranchers.) So why not pass an ordinace against carrying spray paint?

I can think of no good reason why anyone should be toting around five cans of spray paint at three o'clock in the morning. Perhaps the threat of fines or jail time would discourage people from doing so.

All they are missing is the "A".

Before Katrina, in all the areas I fuss about ... in the loop around Montrose they were tagged with yar

I saw that one from montrose down to allen parkway and down on yes ...Tremont Tower and there is more now behind wendys and one the back corner of Tremont towers since they got it all off the westhiemer side. I have seen more, but Yar seems to not be around anymore?

Some of them are really talented, I just wish they could find a construcitve use for it.

Before Katrina, in all the areas I fuss about ... in the loop around Montrose they were tagged with yar

I saw that one from montrose down to allen parkway and down on yes ...Tremont Tower and there is more now behind wendys and one the back corner of Tremont towers since they got it all off the westhiemer side. I have seen more, but Yar seems to not be around anymore?

Some of them are really talented, I just wish they could find a construcitve use for it.

GY was around before katrina... seems like it was mostly "meat" & "verb" in my area.

when they paint over things with grey its just a new canvas for the next round.

GY does stand for graveyard. Its the name of their crew, its not one person. GY was started by Yano, Meat and Verb as a merger between 2 crews, Yano's RTL, and Meat and Verbs DTS. Now GY is Bones, Abel, Lingo, Epic, Germ, and a few others. And no, none of them are black refugees from New Orleans you rumor monger.

RESPECT TO THE OPPRESSED ARTISTS!

keep on keepin on, give this town REAL culture

Archived