National Biscuit Co. Building At 15 N. Chenevert St.

Subdude

Again from GHPA. They say it's supposed to be completed December 2005? :blink:

National Biscuit Co. Building

15 N. Chenevert St.

The National Biscuit Co. Building at 15 North Chenevert is finding new life in the residential market. The historic property is being rehabilitated as CityView Lofts. The building will have 57 units on its expected completion in December 2005. GHPA Board member Tim Cisneros is the architect for the project.

The former cookie factory was designed in 1910 by A.G. Zimmerman, Nabisco

I see this building everyday as well, and they have been working on it for at least 8 months.

I have been patiently waiting for a sign (besides 'Lofts for Sale' and 'Silvestri Investments') or something on HAR. Are they not trying to pre-sell these? It looks like they are adding balconies of some sort facing downtown. I can't say for sure, but can't otherwise explain why they cut out so much of the brick (for doorways) on that side.

The location leaves a lot to be desired. It is a beautiful building for sure, but there is nothing much around it, nor does it appear there will be for some time to come. Sort of like the Stanford. So you get the cool loft unit, but then have to get in your car to drive everywhere.

And, directly across the side street is a Federal Halfway House where inmates are released.

The neighborhood is in transition and might be quite livable about the time the Enroners will be bunking there.

i wonder if it still smells like a bakery. that would be nice.

that would be awesome! i don't think i'd ever get tired of that...(although it would be some pretty musty bakery smells, since nabisco left in 1949 :D )

I remeber when I was little coming from south park down OST to Holcombe with my grandpa on his way to the VA hospital. We would pass the Nabisco building and he would tell me stories about when he used to work thier.

that's the other nabisco on holcombe by almeda

• 1 year later...

Cityview Lofts had an open house this weekend and I took a look at these lofts. Cityview says they are 65% sold and the units should be complete by early 2008. The prices aren't too bad (for dowtown) and the maintenance fees are only $.20 per sq. ft. They are also trying to preserve as much of the building as they can.

This area seems prime for development wth the ballpark so close and all of the surface lofts. I figured this side of downtown would be a miniture Wriglyville by now but that hasn't hapened. Does anyone see this area booming within the next few years? Do the Astros own all of these parking lots, or are they privately owned?

Edited by ToolMan

Cityview Lofts had an open house this weekend and I took a look at these lofts. Cityview says they are 65% sold and the units should be complete by early 2008. The prices aren't too bad (for dowtown) and the maintenance fees are only $.20 per sq. ft. They are also trying to preserve as much of the building as they can.

This area seems prime for development wth the ballpark so close and all of the surface lofts. I figured this side of downtown would be a miniture Wriglyville by now but that hasn't hapened. Does anyone see this area booming within the next few years? Do the Astros own all of these parking lots, or are they privately owned?

65% sold is impressive given that they aren't on MLS (that I've seen) and their website favors form over any kind of function!

As far as the area booming, I will say that it does seem to be moving along rather steadily. New townhomes are going up everywhere and a new apartment complex (Canal Place) just opened across 59.

What was your opinion of the building? Have you seen other loft conversions that you could compare it to?

Iwood,

I really like the building due to the character and preservation...it's a unique building and is a "true" loft conversion. They are restoring the 100 year old floors, keeping the windows (the ones that don't have bullet holes), some units have balconies, high ceilings, columns, ect... Free guest parking is also included which is rare for downtown - 54 units with 120 parking spaces. The only negative thing I can see is all of the units with downtown views are already sold, the location of the halfway house, and it's a bit of a walk to the hot spots of downtown. The sales agent does and excellent tour while taking about the history of the building and how they are trying to preserve everything.

I looked at the Herrin Lofts a while ago and wasn't too impressed - they just seemed too cookie cutter.

• 3 years later...

Nice to know the history of this bldg., been admiring it on HAR . The ceiling in pic 3 is sloped, I like how they have left the rooms rustic. Nice lobby, as well.

Someday I would like to live in one of those downtown lofts, but I would prefer it to be in the heart of the old section.

The Nabisco factory, close to the VA, on Almeda had that nice baked bread smell well into recent years (1990's) when it was sold to the medical community.

I'm always happy to see bldgs. in this city re-purposed.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to National Biscuit Co. Building At 15 N. Chenevert St.