1801 Yale St

IntheKnowHouston

On 2/24/2021 at 11:56 PM, s3mh said:

Down House closed.  All faults aside, Treadsack did lead the restaurant boom in the Heights before imploding.  Down House was one of the first to make the Heights a restaurant destination. Many peaks and valleys along the way, but I will miss it.  

YkXhn3Y.jpg

From CultureMap, February 2021:

pioneering Heights restaurant has served its last meal. Down House closed after service on Sunday, February 21, the restaurant announced on social media.

In the post, proprietor Chris Cusack thanked the restaurant’s staff for their hard work throughout the restaurant’s 10-year run and encouraged customers to post their favorite memories. Hundreds have responded on both Instagram and Facebook.

Cusack tells CultureMap the restaurant closed due to a decline in business brought about by the coronavirus pandemic. “The reality is it just didn’t work anymore in these circumstances,” he says.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-25-21-down-house-heights-restaurant-closed-shuttered-chris-cusack/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Goode Co. is leasing the 1801 Yale property, previously home to Down House.

From CultureMap:

One of Houston's most prominent hospitality groups is coming to The Heights. Goode Company confirmed rumors that it will open a new restaurant in the former Down House space at 1801 Yale St.

“Goode Co. is always looking for great spaces and new neighborhoods to become a part of, and we are excited to be opening one of our concepts in the Heights area,” Levi Goode, chef and president of Goode Company Restaurants, said in a statement. “While we don’t have details on the specific concept and opening date, we look forward to doing something Goode in this historic Houston neighborhood.”

...The company operates a number of concepts in the Houston area, including Goode Co. Barbeque, Tex-Mex restaurant Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina, Goode Co. Seafood, and Armadillo Palace, a comfort food restaurant and live music venue.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/07-21-21-goode-co-new-restaurant-the-heights-yale-street-down-house/

I think the restaurant Goode Co. is bringing to the Heights is Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina.

Goode Co. applied for a TABC permit under the entity GCKC Heights LLC in June. GCKC = Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina. 

And this month, a filing for Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina at 1801 Yale was submitted to the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to 1801 Yale St.
  • The title was changed to 1801 Yale St
On 8/28/2021 at 9:17 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I think the restaurant Goode Co. is bringing to the Heights is Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina.

Goode Co. applied for a TABC permit under the entity GCKC Heights LLC in June. GCKC = Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina. 

And this month, a filing for Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina at 1801 Yale was submitted to the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation.

It looks as if Goode Company is opening its Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina restaurant concept at 1801 Yale St, the site that previously Down House.

A few days ago, the restaurant was approved for a sign permit from the city. The name listed for the signage is Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina. Also there is a Google Maps listing for Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina at 1801 Yale St that is claimed and managed by Goode Company.

https://goo.gl/maps/3Nuw6s9p53hgAVam9

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

I miss Down house.

There are several places like Down House I miss. It seems like those places, at some point, get boring to the founder, and they close and move on to another project. It's interesting that they seem to run the places for their own reasons, and regardless of success or the customers, they just move on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ross said:

There are several places like Down House I miss. It seems like those places, at some point, get boring to the founder, and they close and move on to another project. It's interesting that they seem to run the places for their own reasons, and regardless of success or the customers, they just move on.

Interesting man I wish I had that chicken and waffles recipe they had best!

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, BigRed said:

Do we know what Goode concept is coming? Felt slightly Tex-mex…

Yep! Posted a confirmation of the concept coming last month:

On 6/27/2022 at 6:42 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

It looks as if Goode Company is opening its Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina restaurant concept at 1801 Yale St, the site that previously Down House.

A few days ago, the restaurant was approved for a sign permit from the city. The name listed for the signage is Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina. Also there is a Google Maps listing for Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina at 1801 Yale St that is claimed and managed by Goode Company.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 6:42 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

spacer.png

Goode Company sent press releases formally announcing Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina at 1801 Yale.

From an article today on Houston Business Journal:

"Goode Company Restaurants has confirmed which concept it will open in the Heights.

The Houston company announced July 19 that the restaurant will be a Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina, as previous filings had indicated. An opening date has not been finalized yet..."

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/07/19/goode-company-kitchen-cantina-heights-hiring.html

• 2 weeks later...

Drove by this today, but didn't stop. The building has been painted a light yellow color. I'm not sure I like it. It doesn't look bad, I just preferred the Down House look. There's also a "Hiring" sign out front.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to 1801 Yale St.
  • The title was changed to 1801 Yale St
On 8/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, Ross said:

Drove by this today, but didn't stop. The building has been painted a light yellow color. I'm not sure I like it. It doesn't look bad, I just preferred the Down House look. There's also a "Hiring" sign out front.

Photos of the ongoing renovations at 1801 Yale St. The property is the home of the latest outpost of Goode Co. Kitchen & Cantina.

These were shared in the Houston Heights Foodie.

From late July
5knaGui.jpg

XahDiRk.jpg

GaM0D6p.jpg

From last week:

oFnOdx8.jpg

1Uyl4sd.jpg

w2gXyPy.jpg

This week from realtor Ashley Day

tXJQrMS.jpg

kfOcd8N.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2022 at 10:44 AM, kennyc05 said:

Man I miss Downhouse.

Weekend breakfast/brunch spots in the Heights have taken a beating.  In addition to Downhouse:

Soul Taco/Throughgood Coffee

Revival Market

Golden Bagels 

Morning Star

Angela's Oven (down to just Saturday morning)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

They did this building justice. Great colors, design, everything.

I so agree! The full landscaping is gorgeous and today I saw decor being loaded inside. Last big item(s) seem to be the deck/patio and the front door. I loved and no doubt will still miss Down House but the Goode folks are clearly doing this space right and sparing no expense. VERY excited to be a neighbor to this...

• Like 2