Caroline Lofts: Affordable Housing At 2403 Caroline St.

CrockpotandGravel

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/1/2022 at 3:53 PM, hindesky said:

9wCYVAG.jpg

Any idea as to why just that one portion of scaffolding is so much higher than everything else?
I'm wondering if it might be for a stairwell or elevator shaft.

On 3/4/2022 at 7:36 PM, hindesky said:

It's usually the elevator core.

I'm surprised that there's not at least one more under construction. That would be a heck of a walk for someone living at the opposite end of the building.

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

I'm surprised that there's not at least one more under construction. That would be a heck of a walk for someone living at the opposite end of the building.

I'm pretty sure they will have 1 or 2 more. They probably don't want to pay to rent more scaffolding, so they finish this one and move to the next.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 7:45 PM, dbigtex56 said:

According to the site plans posted above, there will be one other elevator on the northeast corner of the structure.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:57 PM, hindesky said:

I'm pretty sure they will have 1 or 2 more. They probably don't want to pay to rent more scaffolding, so they finish this one and move to the next.

The forms for the second floor are in place on the northern half, but I don't think the concrete has been poured yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems 'cornice' ultimately derives from 'crown', so you are both right.

"cornice (n.)

1560s, "a molded projection which crowns the part to which it is affixed," from French corniche (16c.) or directly from Italian cornice "ornamental molding along a wall," perhaps from Latin coronis "curved line, flourish in writing," from Greek koronis "curved object" (see crown)..."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...