Houston skyline depictions on local channels

Most (if not all) local stations have some version of the Houston skyline in their promos and as a backdrop for local news.
Has anyone else noticed that many appear to be several years old and don't include the newest additions to the skyline? I can understand that some license is taken in the interest of graphic design, but it might be nice to see a view other than the ubiquitous circa 2000 shot from the Sabine St. bridge.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, dbigtex56 said:

Most (if not all) local stations have some version of the Houston skyline in their promos and as a backdrop for local news.
Has anyone else noticed that many appear to be several years old and don't include the newest additions to the skyline? I can understand that some license is taken in the interest of graphic design, but it might be nice to see a view other than the ubiquitous circa 2000 shot from the Sabine St. bridge.

I do some television production work out of the area, so this topic piqued my interest. Each time I come back to town - this is something I do happen to catch when I see what changes have occurred on local tv.

To your point- this generally has been the case over the past number of decades, since the backdrops were actually physical - something on a curtain that could be changed out for day/night shots or shifted on a duratrans background based on what the situation called for. Over the past decade, and especially the past five years, this has changed a fair amount with more sets in the round - ones that are more friendly to HDTV cameras and televisions, and ones that have large wall-sized screens serving as a backdrop. 

From what I recall, most of KPRC's shots of the skyline are actually from the northeast (with Catalyst and I think Aris among others, frozen under construction circa 2016 or so).

I think KHOU has used more of the views from the southeast, as if you launched a drone from around Discovery Green or the Toyota Center for most of their background shots in the evening, but more of the traditional views earlier in the day - though 609 Main is visible if you know where to look. It may have been mixed up since they've moved into their new digs, but that's just what I recall.

KTRK is the only only one that I recall that actually tries to use a live camera on occasion -  an aerial view from Memorial Parkway at Waugh, I think atop Memorial by Windsor. They tend to get some good sunrise & sunset views from that vantage and it looks well when they don't use the static views for the different dayparts. 

KRIV has static shots of the skyline from the traditional view for all timeslots, but they are up to date with 609 visible as well as the most recent lighting changes to 1600 Smith.

Again I don't live in the area at the moment, and I don't watch streams unless there's a big event happening - so that's just generally what I recall as of a couple of months ago.

Of course as you said old photos not being updated aren't a new phenomena. Even when technology was used way back, there were a few faux pas moments that could be seen - if the viewer paid attention. KTRK is a good example of this with Heritage Plaza prominently displayed, prior to topping out from 1986 or so all the way up to 1992.

go5pzM5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2019 at 1:46 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

I do some television production work out of the area, so this topic piqued my interest. Each time I come back to town - this is something I do happen to catch when I see what changes have occurred on local tv.

To your point- this generally has been the case over the past number of decades, since the backdrops were actually physical - something on a curtain that could be changed out for day/night shots or shifted on a duratrans background based on what the situation called for. Over the past decade, and especially the past five years, this has changed a fair amount with more sets in the round - ones that are more friendly to HDTV cameras and televisions, and ones that have large wall-sized screens serving as a backdrop. 

From what I recall, most of KPRC's shots of the skyline are actually from the northeast (with Catalyst and I think Aris among others, frozen under construction circa 2016 or so).

I think KHOU has used more of the views from the southeast, as if you launched a drone from around Discovery Green or the Toyota Center for most of their background shots in the evening, but more of the traditional views earlier in the day - though 609 Main is visible if you know where to look. It may have been mixed up since they've moved into their new digs, but that's just what I recall.

KTRK is the only only one that I recall that actually tries to use a live camera on occasion -  an aerial view from Memorial Parkway at Waugh, I think atop Memorial by Windsor. They tend to get some good sunrise & sunset views from that vantage and it looks well when they don't use the static views for the different dayparts. 

KRIV has static shots of the skyline from the traditional view for all timeslots, but they are up to date with 609 visible as well as the most recent lighting changes to 1600 Smith.

Again I don't live in the area at the moment, and I don't watch streams unless there's a big event happening - so that's just generally what I recall as of a couple of months ago.

Of course as you said old photos not being updated aren't a new phenomena. Even when technology was used way back, there were a few faux pas moments that could be seen - if the viewer paid attention. KTRK is a good example of this with Heritage Plaza prominently displayed, prior to topping out from 1986 or so all the way up to 1992.

go5pzM5.jpg

Ch. 13 used several different virtual studio sets:

Fall 1982 to Fall 1983: 1st virtual studio set with the sunset background behind the downtown skyline (which was the case during their 6:00 PM Newscasts).

Fall 1983 to Fall 1984:  2nd virtual studio set.

Fall 1984 to mid-May 1986: 3rd virtual studio set with the expanded downtown skyline. 

Mid-May 1986 to October 1992: 4th virtual studio set with the well-known downtown skyline.  I noticed Greenway Plaza was NOT included.

Edited by Blue Dogs
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 1:46 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

To your point- this generally has been the case over the past number of decades, since the backdrops were actually physical - something on a curtain that could be changed out for day/night shots or shifted on a duratrans background based on what the situation called for.

Thanks for your interesting and informative response. 
I would have loved to be catching when (if) they thew out those backdrops. It would certainly make some interesting wallpaper :D.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, dbigtex56 said:

I would have loved to be catching when (if) they thew out those backdrops. It would certainly make some interesting wallpaper :D.

Here's some pictures from Ch. 13's 6:00 PM Newscast on December 22nd, 1982.

1982-12-22 Ch. 13 Eyewitness News @ 6pm (II).jpg

1982-12-22 Ch. 13 Eyewitness News @ 6pm (III).jpg

1982-12-22 Eyewitness News @ 6pm (IV).jpg

Here's another from Ch. 13's 6:00 PM Newscast from sometime in the Spring or Summer of 1983.

1983-05-20 Action 13's Marvin Zindler.jpg

Edited by Blue Dogs
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, dbigtex56 said:

I believe CW 39 KIAH-TV Houston had a similar studio set with the downtown skyline from the late 1980s.

• 1 month later...

I also notice that when the national networks broadcast a game from here  (mostly Rockets or Astros) they'll do an aerial view over downtown AS IF it was live.

I'l pause the shot, and almost ALL of the times- they are using stock footage of a previous aerial. How do i know? I can easily spot the buildings that are missing...some buildigns had been completed and the aerial shows a parking lot..ha

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, dbigtex56 said:

Thank you! Apologies for the reply so many months later.

I had that feeling you mentioned about the set/background Channel 2 had from the late 80s into the early 90s which featured a sweeping view of the western side of the skyline, shot from a few hundred feet up around what I would guess was the intersection of Washington Ave & Studemont. I, as a kid anyway, thought it would be neat to have that as the view out an actual window (or oversized bay window as theirs would seem). Perhaps one day, a developer can make that happen. Some of the higher-level views at Memorial by Windsor I'd guess are pretty close though.

I know there was a comment about Greenway Plaza not being featured by @Blue Dogs, and it's true. Very rarely has anything outside of downtown shown up as a backdrop. I think Channel 11 had Uptown as part of the backdrop they were using in the mid 80s, while I recall 26 using Uptown as well... and even an aerial view of Galveston during the 90s for some reason at that time. Don't quote me on that latter one though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:15 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Thank you! Apologies for the reply so many months later.

I had that feeling you mentioned about the set/background Channel 2 had from the late 80s into the early 90s which featured a sweeping view of the western side of the skyline, shot from a few hundred feet up around what I would guess was the intersection of Washington Ave & Studemont. I, as a kid anyway, thought it would be neat to have that as the view out an actual window (or oversized bay window as theirs would seem). Perhaps one day, a developer can make that happen. Some of the higher-level views at Memorial by Windsor I'd guess are pretty close though.

I know there was a comment about Greenway Plaza not being featured by @Blue Dogs, and it's true. Very rarely has anything outside of downtown shown up as a backdrop. I think Channel 11 had Uptown as part of the backdrop they were using in the mid 80s, while I recall 26 using Uptown as well... and even an aerial view of Galveston during the 90s for some reason at that time. Don't quote me on that latter one though.

Hurricane Alicia (VIII).png

1983-08-18 Hurricane Alicia (2).jpg

1983-08-18 Hurricane Alicia (1).jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

I'd meant to post this ages ago - but didn't. Caught this legit bad photoshop at the end of KHOU's noon news back in December. 

Would like to know the thought process behind the edit of Memorial Hermann's tower...

tRGSAqg.jpg

That picture is at least 4 yrs old, notice the red tower crane that was used to build the parking garage addition to Memorial Hermann. That building is my favorite one in TMC, I like that they change the colors on it frequently.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 7:15 PM, hindesky said:

That picture is at least 4 yrs old, notice the red tower crane that was used to build the parking garage addition to Memorial Hermann. That building is my favorite one in TMC, I like that they change the colors on it frequently.

They photoshopped the crown of the tower, and made the deciduous trees BLOOD red. Hermann Park never looks like that.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Started storing away some things I recorded from a previous visit at the end of last year. I have grown to appreciate the use of a live camera for a background as time goes on. I think KTMD, the Telemundo O&O, has a great one pointed at downtown, from what I would guess is the top of PNC Stadium. It might need to be calibrated a bit for evening visuals, but the daytime ones pop pretty well.

4d3LVi8.jpg

e1d4tPz.jpg

4PUTrUa.jpg

JS5TWhq.jpg

And a bonus - their towercam from atop their building on the North Loop West between Ella & North Durham. They use that view primarily for weather segments.

874jrxU.jpg

• Like 4

It's good when stations use a live camera, instead of a photograph.

KPRC-TV uses a photograph that is not only out of date, but suffers from severe perspective distortion, such that the skyscrapers on the left and right of the image are looming menacingly over the anchors.

I can say that most television stations don't really care much about their background pictures.  I watch WGN-TV in the morning, and the skyline pictures it uses on its sets are at least ten years out of date.

When I did commercial architecture photography, I was contacted by a company building a new set for a big-name TV station in Toronto.  It wanted to use one of my Toronto skyline pictures behind the talent, even though the image was so old that it was in far lower resolution than would be needed for enlarging to the size required, and was missing several prominent skyscrapers.  I went back-and-forth with them trying to explain that the image wasn't suitable, but all the company cared about was the colors, the angle, and that it had the CN Tower.  I ended up not selling it to them, just because I was uncomfortable giving them such a bad photo for such an important purpose.  What I should have done was convince them to fly me out there to take new pictures, but this was early in that part of that career, so I didn't think of it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, editor said:

KPRC-TV uses a photograph that is not only out of date, but suffers from severe perspective distortion, such that the skyscrapers on the left and right of the image are looming menacingly over the anchors.

Note to self, and interested HAIFers. How hard would it be to hack KPRC and have the menacingly looming skyscrapers actually consume the anchors, live on air? Maybe with a Stop Ashby sort of theme.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...