Cotton Exchange Bar

I hope it's OK to vent about Houston bars too.

You know what I hate?

When somebody spends tons of time and money beautifully restoring a room to late 19th century/early 20th opulance, then decides it would be a really cool idea to play hip-hop/techno (or whatever this computerized non-music is called) all night every night. :angry:

The offender is the Old Cotton Exchange Bar.

I would love to patronize this place, despite the high prices, but I just cannot. It's painful. The soundtrack. Occasionally they play something appropos to the environment...Basie, Sinatra, or Ella. But the hip-hop never seems to be far behind.

I just don't understand the mentality of an ownership that would allow this.

Can anyone sympathize with my plight? Or am I just too "out of it"?

What? Atleast the building is not torn down. In my eyes I love when I see old historic buildings with modern fun loving entertainment on the inside. That's why I love Barcelons so much. Beautiful hundred year old masterpieces with nightclubs at the door. I see where you are coming from but I guess that is not my main worry of the structure.

I believe the Cotton Exchange Bar closed because it was not accessible to handicapped people, no emergency exit. There was an elevator in the back, but no other way for people in wheelchairs to exit the building.

The bar played hip hop/dance music because that's what the downtown crowd wanted. They wouldnt have lasted as long as they did if they had played music that went with the interior.

Like Timmy Chan, I went to The Cotton Exchange a year or so ago. It was very slow. Not more than 3 or 4 other people besides my crew. I suspect the hip-hop was an attempt to grow the crowds, not the other way around. If it is closed, it is likely that business never increased much more than what I saw there.

Because it was upstairs, with a side entrance, and off the beaten path, it would be hard to get a crowd in there. A shame. The woodwork was beautiful.

I believe the Cotton Exchange Bar closed because it was not accessible to handicapped people, no emergency exit.  There was an elevator in the back, but no other way for people in wheelchairs to exit the building.

The bar played hip hop/dance music because that's what the downtown crowd wanted.  They wouldnt have lasted as long as they did if they had played music that went with the interior.

Did it really close? The website is still up:

http://www.cottonexchangebar.com/index.html

There was never much of a "crowd" any of the times I went there, either. But I don't believe the soundtrack was affecting the crowd size in any way (except that I would have gone a lot more had it not been for the hip-hop garbage). My guess is that people couldn't deal with the $8 martinis. I hated paying that, too, on my $10/hour salary, but I did it to "bask in the history" of the room like their website says.

• 1 year later...

anyone know what's going on with this place now? a couple times while trying to leave Warren's on weekend nights, i noticed a long line to get in, and Travis and Franklin streets were flooded with cars, bass, and drivers who obviously didn't know the area too well or were disoriented...in some way (driving the wrong way down one-ways, driving in the left lane on two-ways, etc).

the latest i could find was that the tabc license for this place expired June 8th, and the company that owns it (MAK productions), is not in good standing...

it also had a long list of tabc violations, too

Were you there Friday night? Travis was flooded...literally. They had it blocked off because the bayou overflowed onto Travis.

I was at a happy hour at Cotton Exchange a couple of months ago and it was great; however, the music started around 9:00pm and they began the cover charge and the loud music.

anyone know what's going on with this place now? a couple times while trying to leave Warren's on weekend nights, i noticed a long line to get in, and Travis and Franklin streets were flooded with cars, bass, and drivers who obviously didn't know the area too well or were disoriented...in some way (driving the wrong way down one-ways, driving in the left lane on two-ways, etc).

the latest i could find was that the tabc license for this place expired June 8th, and the company that owns it (MAK productions), is not in good standing...

i was told last night that the previous owners (a group of lawyers) sold to other people and the place is now in competition with the same crowd as red cat.

cottonexchange001.jpg

I was at a city council event there about 2 months ago and it was just tooooo small for the crowd. It was absolute hell trying to reach the bartender or get his attention. Once the live music started you really couldnt hear a thing anyone was saying. Main reason I left early. Its nice for historical reasons but as far as big functions, I pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Not only did they have a long list of TABC violations, they were also put through an extensive audit.... which didn't go well for them. The club is open, but not sure how successful they'll be.

Of course they're shallow. That's the whole point of the club scene. Ear splitting music that prevents dialogue, and a fashion show to impress the fellow clubbers.

That's pretty much the point.

Agree. It's not like you to the downtown club scene to submit a conference paper. It's all about thongs and hootchy-mama's.

:unsure:

• The title was changed to Cotton Exchange Bar

Archived