Houston's FM News 92 KROI offiically GONE

Blue Dogs

Mike McGuff of mikemcguff.com confirms what everyone's been suggesting....News 92 KROI has been rebranded and now becoming an all-Beyoncé Channel B92.

According to the radio station's home page, News 92 aired their last broadcast today: "We'd like to thank News 92 staff for their outstanding service, our advertisers and each of you our listeners and web visitors for your support. This difficult decision is a result of sustained poor ratings performance and significant financial loses over the past three years despite the substantial financial and human resources we invested. Unfortunately, the market hasn't shown a sustainable appetite for news radio, but each of you motivated us daily to produce a high-quality news program. Together, we made history."

Lanny Griffith posted on Facebook that the entire staff has been FIRED and Craig Roberts also said 47 people are now out of work due to the format change.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2014/10/news-92-kroi-is-dead.html

Reaction on Houston FM News 92 KROI being rebranded and turning into another THUG hip-hop station ?

http://m.chron.com/business/article/KROI-92-1-FM-announces-format-change-lays-off-5808955.php

Slow down there, BlueDogs...

"B92" is what's called a stunt, not the permanent format to come. While it's heartbreaking to hear great people like J.P., Lana, Lanny, Adela Uchida, etc., are now out of a job, the article itself really says it all. It's expensive to run an all news format, and when you've been hemorrhaging money for 3 straight years, at some point management is going to say "enough!" and try a different direction.

I can guarantee you that KROI is not going to be a "thug" hip hop station. Co-owned 97-9 will not be neutered for 92-1, in any way, shape, or form. What I expect to see is some type of Adult Contemporary station to launch there in hopes of shaving a share or two off of KODA's ratings and vaulting either KMJQ or KBXX back to the top performing station.

I mean why not? iHeart just launched "The Beat" on 93-7, taking direct aim at The Box. Why wouldn't Radio One consider returning the favor and taking numbers from iHeart's #1 station, KODA, in hopes of regaining the top spot in the market for one of the two well established RO properties?

I'm sorry to see anyone lose their jobs, but between their giggling and inability to read the news without constantly stumbling over their tongues, oh and not being able to handle switching between commercials, network feeds and local content, I could only stand to listen to them for about 2 minutes at a time.  Management should have tried saying "enough" two years ago, but instead of saying "enough" to the all-news format, they should have said "enough" to the incompetence of their operation.

I'm sorry to see anyone lose their jobs, but between their giggling and inability to read the news without constantly stumbling over their tongues, oh and not being able to handle switching between commercials, network feeds and local content, I could only stand to listen to them for about 2 minutes at a time. Management should have tried saying "enough" two years ago, but instead of saying "enough" to the all-news format, they should have said "enough" to the incompetence of their operation.

You've hit the nail on the head, 19514, and might I add that the very same lack of attention to the overall sound of the product being delivered to the general listening audience is what doomed the last attempt at FM news (FM News Channel 97-5) here in Houston. I originally hoped that Radio One had done their homework and not repeat the mistakes made by 97-5. They didn't, and as a result we now have 24/7 Beyoncé airing at 92-1 KROI...

...until Monday.

Reaction on Houston FM News 92 KROI being rebranded and turning into another THUG hip-hop station ?

I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head in disdain at someone who thinks a 24/7 Beyonce station is a "THUG hip-hop station."

I'm just speaking the truth, because it's obvious we're seeing less and less news radio stations each and every day on FM stations in recent years.

Nothing truthful came from any of your posts. Just ignorant stereotyping.

I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head in disdain at someone who thinks a 24/7 Beyonce station is a "THUG hip-hop station."

Much as I despise Beyoncé, her music isn't really "thug hip-hop", it's more of just trashy pop music.

Much as I despise Beyoncé, her music isn't really "thug hip-hop", it's more of just trashy pop music.

Beyoncé: Thuggish and trashy...

I think I've heard it ALL now. I guess KROI could've went back to the endlessly annoying construction noise used prior to the launch of News 92. That was quite the reason for someone to stick around at 92-1 to see what was to come.

I guess my definition of trashy is a bit different. Kid Rock, Skrillex, Marilyn Manson, and Courtney Love would make my list, Beyoncé doesn't even make it to the same table.

It's really sad that they couldn't make a go of it. I listened occasionally, but once you've heard the headlines, traffic and weather, there wasn't much interest. I'd say it was kind of like listening to the NOAA marine broadcast while out boating, essential while your on the water but once you're ashore, it's "turn that annoyng thing off"!

Boom!

That's the recent domain registration by Radio One for KROI, with industry insiders pointing to a classic rap/hip hop format for 92-1, while 97-9 drops all classics from its rotation and focuses on current product.

Anyone care to guess the first song on the new KROI? I'll be taking "Boom Boom Pow" by the Blackeyed Peas.

Archived