Woolco Department Stores

foxmulder

In 1976 there were 9 listed in the metro area:

3900 Bissonnet (about where Bering's is)

11540 Gulf Freeway (near Almeda Genoa - NenaE mentioned this one)

3800 W Little York (at 59)

8130 Long Point

14035 S Main

430 W Parker (at 45)

7415 Southwest Freeway (at Fondren)

6802 Spencer Highway, Pasadena

Texas City (no address listed)

3401 Palmer Highway Texas City TX 77590 was the Texas City one, according to elsewhere on the HAIF. This became a Wal-Mart, then a Venture, then Kmart (which moved from across the street), and now it's a BP office, unless something's changed.

3401 Palmer Highway Texas City TX 77590 was the Texas City one, according to elsewhere on the HAIF. This became a Wal-Mart, then a Venture, then Kmart (which moved from across the street), and now it's a BP office, unless something's changed.

The one at 45 and Parker is Self Storage USA now. Prior to that, it was a Builder's Square. I don't remember one on West Lil York. Was it in the same strip as the old Kmart, then International Flea Market, now Mi Tienda? I vividly remember West Parker, as that's the one we went to. It was next door to Rice, which was next to Eckerd's. Had a Dairy Queen in the lot, as well as the Hartz, and a Long John Silver's across the street.

I guess it's hard to imagine that Parker used to be pretty hopping back then. Not so much now.

Of course, they didn't co-exist, but in the 80's Po Folks sat in the corner of that strip center, where the Symphony Inn Motel now stands.

• The title was changed to Woolco Department Stores

Archived