Proposed Panhandling Regulations

Subdude

Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:00 am

By CRYSTAL SIMMONS

Proposed traffic regulations could have far-reaching effects for residents in unincorporated Harris County.

For the past 18 months, Harris County officials and attorneys have been exploring options from statewide legislation to county-wide regulations that would reduce panhandling in unincorporated areas. What they discovered, according to the County Attorney’s Office, is that a section of the Texas Transportation code may provide a way under existing law to regulate panhandling in public roadways. The only catch is the regulation would affect everyone equally from panhandlers to firefighters, churches and other charities that solicit donations in public streets, according to officials....While earlier proposed regulations would have allowed groups to obtain permits to collect in roadways, Harris County Precinct 4 Commissioner Jack Cagle allowing exeptions may not be constitutional.

“You can’t stop one type of speech and allow another type or speech. That’s what the DA’s office has taught us,” said Cagle. “You can’t say it’s ok for someone to solicit for their trip to the baseball playoff and then prohibit panhandlers from soliciting so they can buy a sandwich.”

Originally intended to regulate panhandling, the draft regulations would ban pedestrians from soliciting or selling items in roadways, islands and medians in high traffic areas with stoplights. However, those activities would still be allowed on sidewalks....While Radack said he would consider the regulations, he said he would rather see citizens or state lawmakers take charge.

“I believe the problem will go away and traffic will go faster when people stop giving money at intersections,” he said.“I’m curious to see what the county attorney has to say about it. I think it’s a worthwhile topic to discuss,”

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/tomball/news/proposed-regulations-could-reduce-panhandling/article_f870dfc9-aa14-58ab-bb3d-1840ab648752.html

The only ones I feel bad for would be the Firefighters. There are Panhandlers on Broadway @ 610 & Wallisville @ East Beltway that will seriously knock on your window if you ignore them. And some of them are for Churches! Well, at least they pretend to be.

Edit: So I'm assuming this won't include Salvation Army & Girl Scouts on Private Strip Center property right? Damn...

They should all be banned from soliciting on any abd all roadways.

Agree.  Or there should be a permitting process set up to regulate it.  Otherwise, they can get with private property owners to get permission to solicit contributions like the Girl Scouts, the Salvation Army, and sometimes the Fire Department do in front of stores like HEB and Walmart.

Begging is protected speech. The reason this only addresses people walking in the street or medians is because it is otherwise protected speech. A law or ordinance that prohibited people standing on the side of a road soliciting donations is unconstitutional.

How does this solve panhandling?

Is panhandling even a problem that needs to be solved?  What Harris County is discussing seems like way overkill.  Radack's line that this will speed up traffic is utter nonsense.  It's not like we see backups at intersections due to mobs of people helping beggars.

Archived