What religion doesn't allow ice makers?

Fringe

While thumbing through my refrigerator manual yesterday I ran across the following:

The Holiday Mode is designed for the traveler who wishes to save additional energy or for those whose religious observances require turning off the lights and ice maker.

I guess I'm naive but what religion could this possible refer to and why would the use of an ice maker and refrigerator lights not be allowed?

Jews who observe Shabbat refrain from turning electricity or appliances on or off during Shabbat. Though some even refuse to open a refrigerator door, because it will activate the interior light, others are more lenient in this practice. I suspect that operating an ice maker is considered a violation.

Yes. Observant Jews. Those kind of religious observances are perhaps a bit more common than you might think. I've known several people who kept the Shabbat that way. I've heard that in some cities in Israel, the elevators automatically stop on every floor so you don't have to operate a floor button. Probably the preference is not to use elevators at all but in a tall enough building that's not always practical.

If you are ever in LA, check out the West Hollywood area on a Saturday. You'll see tons of Jewish families walking. During the rest of the week? Not so much.

But, Santa Monica Blvd. on a Saturday afternoon is a sight to see with observant Jews sharing the sidewalk with the party gays getting their drink on.

Archived