Texas Speed Limits To Be Raised To 80

DJ2025

Texas already has a maximum speed limit of 75 mph in rural areas. This new one is news to me, but apparently only applies to I-10 and I-20 in the desolate area of West Texas.

BTW, there are countless studies showing increased speeds lead to higher death tolls. Simple physics suggest so as well.

so in texas, is the reasoning of raising the limits something that "better reflects the actual speed of cars" (like in iowa)?

granted, many people drive well over the speed limits, but some, especially on rural roads, tend to drive waaaay under.

if difference in speed is the main cause for collisions (which i think it is), then we'll see the accident rate on texas roads skyrocket...

its 75 throughout colorado..and its not like people dont drive 80-90 already...now instead of speeding 10 over...its only 5

i will always go about 10-12 over the limit when on a freeway in the middle of nowhere in certain states (like TX), no matter what the limit is. so if they increase it to 80, i'm going to go 90+ instead of 80+

i think there are a lot of people like this, so it won't be the simple case that we'll be speeding by less. the average speed will increase.

the big thing between 55 and 70 is not the number of accidents, but the number of fatal accidents. not sure if the severity of the accidents will be much worse between 70 and 80, but common sense tells us things will be worse.

the argument they have to increase the speed nowadays is that cars are just as efficient at these higher speeds, and polution and fuel consumption will not increase that much.

but i'm for increasing the speed in rural areas. though i would hate to see troopers take away the cushion they give currently.

I think the reasoning is that these 2 roads are long stretches of improved interstate, largely flat, straight and empty, therefore, driving 80 is not an unsafe activity, as compared to more congested roads in other parts.

I'm inclined to agree. West Texas past San Antonio is empty. I've traversed I-10 through there several times going to and from California. I usually try to average 85 - 95 through there, depending on the weather and traffic conditions. It's long, flat, and straight. I don't think the higher limit will be a problem.

I'm with Skwatra...if they raise the limits to 80, I'll be much more comfortable going 90 on my trips to Big Bend and New Mexico. On our trips out west we usually stay between 80 and 90 through Texas. Especially if we're driving overnight...no cops out there at 3 am!

This won't affect Houston, though. I believe Houston's speed limit is capped at 65 mph due to an attempt to reduce air pollution. (Of course, my opinion is that they outta look to the refineries if they want real reductions, but that ain't happening with GWB and crew in the White House.)

Every time I read about a fatality on chron.com it involves some drunken idiot or an unbelted child or adult. Has nothing to do with speed. How many times have we heard of a family of 10 get in a wreck and all the kids in the back are thrown from the car and die?

Every time I read about a fatality on chron.com it involves some drunken idiot or an unbelted child or adult. Has nothing to do with speed. How many times have we heard of a family of 10 get in a wreck and all the kids in the back are thrown from the car and die?

but i bet if these idiots were going ten miles per hour or riding a bike they wouldn't be as likely to be in the "fatality" category.

(unless all ten were riding bikes on the freeway...heh) :wacko::P

One reason to raise speed limits in desolate areas is economic. Truckers can move stuff faster and make more money since they're able to pack more driving miles into the day. Shipping costs go down for businesses, and the state becomes more attractive to long-haul truckers who spend thousands of dollars on food and fuel as they drive through.

Also, while the speed limit goes up some people still won't be comfortable driving 85, but might do 76-80, which will be legal. Thus, patrol and enforcement costs go down as more people are suddenly legal.

... as more people are suddenly legal.

Dunno why, but that sounded very naughty. ;)

You're quite right and I agree with you for the most part.

What alot of people don't seem to understand, while 80mph speeds in Houston or the metro area, is far different than 80mph in a Rural area like Ft. Stockton.

out in the boonies people are basically going the same basic speed, while some yahoo in Houston decides that they want to drive 40 on the highway when they decide to pull in front of you.

Ricco

Ah, esteemed editor, you did not read the article or the statute.  The rule change does not apply to trucks, only autos and pickups.  Semis remain at the lower speed limit.

yeah...but most semis tend to keep with the pace of traffic. if everyone else around them is going 80...most likely theyre going to be going 80 as well...of course there are the ones that go 50 and screw everything up...

Ah, esteemed editor, you did not read the article or the statute.  The rule change does not apply to trucks, only autos and pickups.  Semis remain at the lower speed limit.

Yeah. I'm busted. B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Drivers are safer today on our nation's highways than they have ever been, in part because of the safer cars, higher safety-belt use and stronger safety laws that this department has helped champion," said Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta.

"The Department of Transportation said alcohol-related fatalities fell 2.4 percent, from 17,105 in 2003 to 16,694 in 2004. Overall, 42,636 people died on the nation's highways in 2004, down 248

Archived