Woolworth's Department Store At 613 Main St.

foxmulder

I've searched the boards for answers but was unable to get results... So Where exactly was the downtown woolworth located? What is left of it? I remember i went in 1994-1996 my memory is sketchy. I do remember escalators and "W's" on the door. Anyone have pics? If there is a thread about this accept my apoligies.

It was located at Main and McKinney. Eventually, I think it became McKinney Place. I don't have pics of it, but I'm sure others do and could mention what happened to it. I know Woolworth's closed sometime in the late 1990s.

My mother used to work at the Walgreens up the street in the 1990s. She said the upstair bathrooms still had markings for blacks and whites.

I have pictures I will post when I get a chance. This was originally the site of a church. The land was sold to Foleys for their new Main Street store, but Foleys decided to go with a full block and sold the lot to Woolworths.

Here you go.

Woolworth.jpg

The note on the card refers to the fact that the site was sold for $2000 per inch Main Street frontage, a record at the time. The store was completed in 1949. The architect was Kenneth Franzheim who did a number of prominent buildings in Houston.

Here you go.

Woolworth.jpg

The note on the card refers to the fact that the site was sold for $2000 per inch Main Street frontage, a record at the time. The store was completed in 1949. The architect was Kenneth Franzheim who did a number of prominent buildings in Houston.

Ah, yes! The good old days of Woolworth, Walgreens and the other five-and-dime stores that had a soda fountain. Root beer floats and patty melts!

It was located at Main and McKinney. Eventually, I think it became McKinney Place. I don't have pics of it, but I'm sure others do and could mention what happened to it. I know Woolworth's closed sometime in the late 1990s.

My mother used to work at the Walgreens up the street in the 1990s. She said the upstair bathrooms still had markings for blacks and whites.

Yeah I remember going as a kid and seeing the fallout shelter signs. Woolworths still exists abroad, there here in England and saw it in Barbados too.

Just got in this morning what is up with this new HAIF format? Just not use to it. I'm sure there is thread about it around here.

Ah, yes! The good old days of Woolworth, Walgreens and the other five-and-dime stores that had a soda fountain. Root beer floats and patty melts!

As a kid, my favorite at Woolworths was a grilled cheese sandwich and a fountain cherry-coke :D

As a kid, my favorite at Woolworths was a grilled cheese sandwich and a fountain cherry-coke :D

I seem to remember that the Woolworth's and its Grill was still open inside Almeda Mall into the mid-90's (i guess until when the company declared bankruptcy)

I know, as a kid, we ate there a few times.

I seem to remember that the Woolworth's and its Grill was still open inside Almeda Mall into the mid-90's (i guess until when the company declared bankruptcy)

I know, as a kid, we ate there a few times.

I didn't know that Woolworth went bankrupt. Was it the entire chain? The last one that I ever went to was at a mall in Fayetteville, Arkansas during the two years (1984-86) that I attended the University of Arkansas.

• 1 month later...
I didn't know that Woolworth went bankrupt. Was it the entire chain? The last one that I ever went to was at a mall in Fayetteville, Arkansas during the two years (1984-86) that I attended the University of Arkansas.

They had good hamburgers and pizza! It's a shame they closed their doors.

I know they still have Woolworth's in Mexico and a few other countries but the chain is gone from the US.

• 4 months later...
Come on now ! Hey, I'll let you borrow it if you don;t call 'em, DEAL ? :blush:

Ok all update on old Woolworth Department Store!

I will start with my memories, I went to that place everytime we rode the bus into downtown since approx 1966 all the way until I was a teenager. I recall the long food counters (had 2 I think) Look at this link and search "restaurants":

http://www.cah.utexas.edu

and you can find all eateries in the area. We would always see someone we knew shopping or just hanging around. My uncle was always having coffee and reading the paper on his favorite stool. I recall buying my old mood ring in one of those cheap glass cases (was the rage in the mid-70's). We especially loved the quick photo booths! was so mysterious to see other peoples feet behind that green curtain! What stands out is the big winding beautifully designed stairs that would go down to the basement. They still sold fabrics to the very end! I recall my mom always buying fabrics so she could sew and she always picked up the latest Spiegel catalogs patterns there. I used to drive my mom crazy becasue I was so anxious to go buy the latest Lego's building block sets in the awesome Toy Dept. The fresh popcorn aroma was all around. Now I'm getting choked up, and sadly enough the place finally came down. The wrecking ball got it approx 2002? I worked 2 blocks away and had to look the other direction as each smack was a memory. Another Houston icon gone.

• 1 year later...

ok...

so the woolworths downtown holds SO many memories for me. i remember when i first start working in my teenage years in the art department (repographics) at TENNECO...in the late 80's...going to Woolworths on cold winter evenings after work...just before they closed and running downstairs in the basement where in a bin that never moved, they had the greatest selection of 1970's kung fu vhs tapes that you could find ANYWHERE. They were 4.99 each or 3 for 12.00. Id spend 25 bucks of every paycheck to buy 5 or 6 of these. then id grab a slice of pizza and catch the 89 Yale metro back home to the northside.

and yes...i remember the preacher.

its funny...the things that actually end up meaning so much...what ends up being 'weighty' in the landscape of your memories. Id like to go back for just a moment to look at who I was.

The thing I missed most about it was seeing the cool older crowd hanging out at the bar stool area eating donuts and sipping coffee. You could tell they had been going there since its beginnings, the women still had hairdos from the 1940's and the guys still dressed up in those baggy pants and shirts.

The aroma of the greasy burger/fries is still very clear and you could always hear the waitress's calling out the order to the cooks in back. That place was always packed with people buying things and running to catch the bus at the door step. The instamatic black n white photo booth was us teens most fun spot. :P

In 1960, my father's office was above the Woolworth and we always went to his office to watch the Rodeo parade. But, I don't remember ever going into the Woolworth itself. I'm sure the lunch counter was still segregated then.

His company moved to the Tenneco building when it was finished.

In 1960, my father's office was above the Woolworth and we always went to his office to watch the Rodeo parade. But, I don't remember ever going into the Woolworth itself. I'm sure the lunch counter was still segregated then.

His company moved to the Tenneco building when it was finished.

I bet he could tell some darn good stories of his years officed there. I recall the stairs that winded down to the basement were very similar to the ones you see in the present old Sears further down Main. They were like beige and very wide with a very strong rail to hold on to. The back entrance had a turnstile as you went downstairs. I often wondered why that was there? to click how many people came in on a daily basis? I remember mom buying fabrics in the dept downstairs and she would always run into old girlfriend coworkers she knew from the area in the late 40's to mid 50's. See this is when downtown wasnt just a place to shop you would run into pals from the neighborhood or relatives, etc. Something we just dont see too often any more.

Funny, there hasnt been a topic that I can recall where people discuss the old downtown Houston parades? We have some old pics of a Christmas parade my big sis took around 1960. Coincidence, they are in black n white but quite clear. :)

When I worked downtown in the early to mid- 70s, I would duck into Woolworth's for a sandwich for lunch. There was a sandwich cart, I think that was how it was set up, where you could order a choice of three or four hot sandwiches to take out or either eat at their stand up counters. The older lady with dyed black hair and ruby red lips, who made the sandwiches was amazingly fast so there was a very short wait. She rarely looked up from her work as she would say 'thank yew' to the customer she had just served and turn to the next customer and say "May I hep yew, " all in the same breath. ThankyewmayIhepyew. One day she wasn't there and the line went out the door. Her substitue was completely overwhelmed.

• 2 years later...

Earlier while reading about Foley*s made me think of another long gone, much missed shopping destination in downtown. Who here remembers Woolworth's ? I used to love going there. We didn't go that often and it felt like a treat when we did. Usually Iwas going w/ my mother to look at fabrics. Sometimes I would also get some cheap, bargain jewelry. I also seem to remember a luncheon or soda counter down in the basement. I do miss going there and wish it was still around. If anyone has a pic of the store (one from the '80's would be wonderful)I would love to see it.

Archived