Houston Center Gardens At 1400 McKinney St.

jamesf

It's a fairly comfortable green space--no special amenities in terms of fountains or art work but the green space is thick and clean and offers a couple of nice views of the convention center/Toyota Center area as well as MMP.

As for the homeless in the park at night... not really. There are a couple of stragglers who may hang out for a little while but from what I understand, they don't really hang out "over night" to the degree that they do at Market Square.

• 6 years later...

I was browsing through some stock photos this morning for use in a report for a client, and I came upon an image of a park downtown I didn't recognize.

I can't post the image here, but here's the link: http://jimolive.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Skylines-Aerial/G0000TvF1r4G6nGg/I0000AIacI7lRcN0/P00009d5pAwxEqlQ.

It looks beautiful, but I can't remember ever seeing this park.

From what I can tell, the image is reversed (i.e., the orientation appears to be looking northward, but Discovery Green is on the left). If I'm correct, is this the site of One Park Place? If so - as much as I like that building - I would have loved for this to remain.

Was this an actual park in the past?

I was browsing through some stock photos this morning for use in a report for a client, and I came upon an image of a park downtown I didn't recognize.

I can't post the image here, but here's the link: http://jimolive.phot...00009d5pAwxEqlQ.

It looks beautiful, but I can't remember ever seeing this park.

From what I can tell, the image is reversed (i.e., the orientation appears to be looking northward, but Discovery Green is on the left). If I'm correct, is this the site of One Park Place? If so - as much as I like that building - I would have loved for this to remain.

Was this an actual park in the past?

Yes, virginia, it was a real park. It was highly under utilized, though.

If I remember correctly, some of the larger trees were transplanted to other parks or DG.

This is an example why I think people should photograph the mundane to remember how things were like.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that photo even makes sense or am I dislexic?

If you're truly looking at that tower that is in the center of the photo from that vantage point (looking from south toward the north), the Chevron tower and the mall should be on the left, not right side.

map showing old park: http://www.bing.com/...0TX&form=LMLTCC

nm....just noticed that Simbha said it was reversed. :P

Edited by lockmat

I can't find the thread for Discovery Green.. ( one would think the search terms "Discovery" & "Green" would get you there).. but I vaguely remember when seeing the initial site plan years ago being disappointed that it didn't take up this block too. Figured the farther the park stretched into the core, the better.... but what we got turned out well.

BTW... Just press the HAIF Easy Button... BAM.

insdg8.jpg

Edited by Highway6

When I worked in 5 Houston Center everyone in our office referred to that park as "Rat Park". Every time you would walk by, you could see huge rats in the bushes. They would sometimes run after you.

This park was used mainly as an area for homeless people to lay their clothes out to dry during the day. Most days I would look out my window and see a dozen or more pieces of clothing scattered throughout the lawn area of the park.

• Like 1

I think this had more to do with the post-Four Season happy hour office trysts more than anything else.

lol, that would have been awesome, but it was in the middle of the day. This one lady had a massive yellow dress (it almost looked like curtains) that she would wash and dry out on the lawn once a week during the lunch hour.

• The title was changed to Is/Was This A Real Park?
  • The title was changed to Houston Center Gardens At 1400 McKinney St.