Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

I found this interesting "article" on Houston Press regarding Walmart grocery prices:

"Would Walmart Bring Low Grocery Prices to the Heights? Not Really"

http://blogs.houston...cery_prices.php

In a manner that has become the hallmark of the anti-Walmart folks, the article is completely without fact. The author compared grocery prices from a regular Walmart (not a Supercenter). Because that particular Walmart did not carry "Eggland's Best" eggs, it lost the "Egg" price category. Because that Walmart did not carry fresh produce, it also lost the "Gala Apples" and "Roma Tomatoes" categories.

The author also bashed Walmart because she could not locate any information about their "Lone Star Farmer's Market" eggs on the internet. She stated, "The 90 cent eggs offered at Walmart weren't Eggland's Best, but you can certainly purchase them if you have utter faith in buying eggs from a brand that no one has heard of, and for which absolutely no information could be found on the Internet."

Even constraining my Google search with quotations around the whole brand name, I got 570 results.

It is humorous that that anti-Walmart campaign is so outlandishly bloated with misrepresentations and misinformation that it damages their credibility.

Edited by heights

I found this interesting "article" on Houston Press regarding Walmart grocery prices:

In a manner that has become the hallmark of the anti-Walmart folks, the article is completely without fact. The author compared grocery prices from a regular Walmart (not a Supercenter). Because that particular Walmart did not carry "Eggland's Best" eggs, it lost the "Egg" price category. Because that Walmart did not carry fresh produce, it also lost the "Gala Apples" and "Roma Tomatoes" categories.

The author also bashed Walmart because she could not locate any information about their "Lone Star Farmer's Market" eggs on the internet. She stated, "The 90 cent eggs offered at Walmart weren't Eggland's Best, but you can certainly purchase them if you have utter faith in buying eggs from a brand that no one has heard of, and for which absolutely no information could be found on the Internet."

Even constraining my Google search with quotations around the whole brand name, I got 570 results.

It is humorous that that anti-Walmart campaign is so outlandishly bloated with misrepresentations and misinformation that it damages their credibility.

I don't even click on those articles/blogs any more, I'm tired of reading the BS. Really those people are just wasting their time. They've already made up their mind, as would any person who reads and agrees with it have already done. In the end it's just a bunch of disseminated bitching, and there is zero point to printing/publishing it.

That is an embarrassingly bad article. Even Walmart opponents would not cite an article with so many blatant "mistakes" (I am being charitable, since the author posts on this forum). Not only is the "standard" Walmart not standard (Supercenters outnumber "standard" Walmarts 4 to 1, and "standard" stores are being phased out), anti-Walmarters' main complaint is that the proposed Walmart WILL be a Supercenter. And the method used to arrive at the conclusion that Walmart is not cheaper? Throw out cheaper products if you haven't heard of them? Never seen that method used before. Of the products where all stores carried them, Walmart actually WAS cheaper overall, a fact ignored by the author. I haven't read the Press in several years. This article suggests that I'm not missing much.

This is exactly what is proposed. The extension of Koehler will enable you to cross at an intersection controlled by traffic signals, making your gauntlet much safer.

That is great news, except that I cross at 15th street. I s'pose I could walk 12 blocks south to safely cross at Koehler, then 12 blocks back to get where I was trying to get. Heck, I could pick up some water at the convenient Wal-Mart to avoid the dehydration. (All tongue in cheek here).

Bottom line, I just wish 30 mph meant 30 mph on Yale. And, in my opinion, this portion of Yale/Heights (north of I-10) is highly residential. I believe you were stating you opinion for the area near the proposed WM, which I largely agree with.

SLOW DOWN ON YALE.....people, dogs, strollers.

That is great news, except that I cross at 15th street. I s'pose I could walk 12 blocks south to safely cross at Koehler, then 12 blocks back to get where I was trying to get. Heck, I could pick up some water at the convenient Wal-Mart to avoid the dehydration. (All tongue in cheek here).

Bottom line, I just wish 30 mph meant 30 mph on Yale. And, in my opinion, this portion of Yale/Heights (north of I-10) is highly residential. I believe you were stating you opinion for the area near the proposed WM, which I largely agree with.

Well, this IS a thread about the 100 block of Yale, afterall. But, I agree about your section of Yale. It is near the busiest part. Unfortunately, the upgraded traffic signals, sidewalks, and crosswalks that would have come with with a renovation of this street may have to wait, due to the opposition to the construction.

And with H-E-B having declined to build on the site -- Ainbinder claims that the grocery store chain had exclusive rights for two years -- it looks as if Walmart will almost certainly be building in the Heights, whether residents like it or not.

Hmmm....not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I didn't realize that HEB had exclusive rights for 2 years and had declined to build (assuming this quote is accurate). Was HEB really outbid, then, or did they simply opt not to build on this particular site? Doesn't this make all of those comparisons of a Walmart vs. an HEB sort of irrelevant? (Of course, the fact that Walmart is willing to pay the most $$ alone makes the comparison irrelevant)

I'd hate to see a stoplight be put in my neighborhood, a residential area should have ample stop signs. stop signs do a fair bit to make people want to take alternate routes.

At any rate, that's pretty far from the location, and I'd imagine quite a few people will be using the freeway that is much closer to the walmart than 15th street.

I certainly agree that people should go slow down in residential areas, it bothers me that people treat them as racing areas.

Edited by samagon

Hmmm....not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I didn't realize that HEB had exclusive rights for 2 years and had declined to build (assuming this quote is accurate). Was HEB really outbid, then, or did they simply opt not to build on this particular site? Doesn't this make all of those comparisons of a Walmart vs. an HEB sort of irrelevant? (Of course, the fact that Walmart is willing to pay the most $ alone makes the comparison irrelevant)

Until I read that quote in the article, I hadn't realized that HEB was looking at this site for so long. I understand that they did a focus group about a year ago regarding building a store there.

Pure speculation, but this might have been a bigger space than HEB was willing to commit to at the time. The Bunker Hill store is, I think, about 128k s.f., which is probably about 20-30,000 s.f. bigger than it needs to be. I'm not sure the general merch areas are actually adding any value. It may also be that, given the expense of the new Wilshire Village location, they weren't prepared to take on another project of similar expense so nearby at the same time. If the Wilshire store would be the most expensive in the chain, the Heights store would probably be 2nd.

Well, unfortunately, looks like this thread has wound down now that the anti-Wal-Marters have realized the store is going to be built and there's nothing they can do about it. I sure enjoyed following some of their twisted logic. I eagerly look forward to shopping there when it opens (although not on the grand opening day - it'll be packed, probably with some of the same folks who used so many words to oppose it). It would be nice if people would post updates on this site of the progress the store is making in construction and when the planned opening will be.

• Like 1

Well, unfortunately, looks like this thread has wound down now that the anti-Wal-Marters have realized the store is going to be built and there's nothing they can do about it. I sure enjoyed following some of their twisted logic. I eagerly look forward to shopping there when it opens (although not on the grand opening day - it'll be packed, probably with some of the same folks who used so many words to oppose it). It would be nice if people would post updates on this site of the progress the store is making in construction and when the planned opening will be.

I am still planning on taking a picture once the tilt walls are upright, and captioning it with the words "YOU LOST" so that SM3H can acknowledge defeat. I also hope to do that with the historical ordinance, a Cherry Excavator, and a pile of rubble....but I am less hopeful there. A nice add on would suffice too, but its harder to find the add on's and know for sure, without any research that it was done without HAHC approval.

Here is the traffic study. Yale South was 6426 vehicles over a 24 hour period, Yale North was 3682 vehicles over same period.

http://stopheightswa...udh-traffic.pdf

There may be other studies in the field. I saw counters at a couple different points on Heights and on Washington on either side of Heights and Yale.

A little surprising that traffic on northbound Yale was that high, since the only way onto it is from Washington (westbound) and Center St. I tend to only take it to avoid trains on Heights.

A little surprising that traffic on northbound Yale was that high, since the only way onto it is from Washington (westbound) and Center St. I tend to only take it to avoid trains on Heights.

It's not protected, but you can actually turn left on to Yale from Washington eastbound. While you may only tend to take it to avoid the trains on Heights, I always take it to avoid the trains since there's sure to be one when i get there :D

Here is the traffic study. Yale South was 6426 vehicles over a 24 hour period, Yale North was 3682 vehicles over same period.

http://stopheightswalmart.org/media/rudh-traffic.pdf

That's it? The opponents made it sound like Yale is a parking lot (though I've never seen it crowded personally). Those numbers are downright puny. That study will impress no one in Planning. They see real traffic numbers, and will not be faked out by claims that a 4 lane street is in gridlock with only 2,500 vehicles per lane per day.

Montrose gets 30-35,000 vehicles per day. THAT'S traffic.

That's it? The opponents made it sound like Yale is a parking lot (though I've never seen it crowded personally). Those numbers are downright puny. That study will impress no one in Planning. They see real traffic numbers, and will not be faked out by claims that a 4 lane street is in gridlock with only 2,500 vehicles per lane per day.

To put this study further in context, one should bear in mind that the peak hourly traffic volume occurs southbound on Yale from 7:00 to 8:00 in the morning, at 924 vehicles per hour. Consider that that is just 15.4 vehicles per minute, or one vehicle every 7.8 seconds per lane. That's manageable.

The other thing to consider is that traffic induced by a 24-hour Wal-Mart Supercenter will occur disproportionately during non-peak hours and particularly on weekends. It isn't enough to say that traffic will increase by 50% (or whatever number) in such a way as might lead one to conclude that congestion will increase proportionately. The fact is, a congestion externality does not exist at all until a sufficiently high volume of traffic is sustained for a period of time. If 90% of the additional induced trips are occurring outside of the peak hour or so in one direction or the other, those trips have zero impact. The remainder, whatever it is, is only impacting a fairly short period of time for five days per week.

• Like 1

yeah, NPR had a 1 minute and 30 second bit on this that I heard on my way home today...

http://app1.kuhf.org/houston_public_radio-news-display.php?articles_id=1283893040

yeah, NPR had a 1 minute and 30 second bit on this that I heard on my way home today...

http://app1.kuhf.org/houston_public_radio-news-display.php?articles_id=1283893040

Talk about politi-speak. Check this out...

The organization Responsible Urban Development for Houston has spear-headed the anti-Walmart effort. It now says the development could impact traffic in the neighborhood more than it previously thought. A new traffic analysis commissioned by the group shows there are actually fewer vehicle trips currently along some of the streets that border the development than previously thought. The group's Nick Urbano says even if the developer widens Koehler, a key east-west street that runs along the north edge of the property, it still won't mean traffic relief for the neighborhood.

So the argument is that since there is less traffic than they thought, an increase in traffic would be a bigger PERCENTAGE increase over existing levels. One would think that if traffic is less than previously thought, that would leave more road capacity to handle the expected increase. But, not for these disingenuous morons. And yet, there are people on this forum claining that if I don't understand this, then there is no hope for me. Well, that is true. If I cannot come up responses like this, I'll never make it in politics.

I am ashamed that NPR actually gave this airplay without questioning it. It's one thing when a rag like the Houston Press prints false price comparisons, but NPR used to be considered good journalism.

• Like 1

I, for one, welcome our new overlords. I really just think everyone finally realized what a great and benevolent friend Walmart will be for the community. They were the clear underdog in this fight, but through the persistence and sheer determination of their supporters, they were able to overcome these great and unfair distortions lodged against them. That and the fact that there was nothing to legally block them in the first place.

As the inscription on each and every Walmart store proclaims, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to shop in a fluorescent-lit dreamscape of low, rollback prices, and, oh, check out our special $6 eight-pack of Starter tube socks!”

The large community of poor rich folks living in neighboring gated townhome complexes and expensive Heights rebuilds will finally have a place to seek refuge from high prices. It’s about time somebody started looking out for these folks.

As for the low-income folks living in Heights Plaza apartments…er, sorry, you gotta move now. There’s progress to be had, and you’re not invited.

• Like 1

To get a feel for the crushing traffic load on Koehler of which Mr. Urbano speaks, note that the traffic study found 734 vehicles travel Koehler each day in both directions. Between 5 am and 11 pm, 700 vehicles travel Koehler, or 350 in each direction. Over 17 hours, that's 20.5 vehicles hourly, or ONE VEHICLE EVERY 3 MINUTES! Even if Walmart caused traffic to TRIPLE...which is unlikely...traffic on Koehler during that 17 hour period would increase in frequency to 1 vehicle per minute.

Seriously, Nick, could you possible be more full of it?

Note: For those wondering why I only chose 17 hours, it is because that is the busiest traffic time. If you go on a 24 hour average, traffic frequency drops to 1 vehicle every 4 minutes. Wayne and Garth could play street hockey with traffic that low.

I have spotted a white Prius placing anti Walmart signs in the yards of people who have the sign in opposition to the historical ordinance and then burning the opposition sign right there in the persons front yard....I swear, I think its the strangest thing...

Edit: just sighted again...Prius has an Obama Sticker AND a Bill White sticker on back bumper/window. Be on the look out!

I think I saw the same Prius repeatedly driving back and forth down Koehler street on the day the non-biased traffic study was being performed.

On another note, it's funny how in the NPR story, Nick Urbano (from the Responsible Urban Development aka anti-Walmart group) says that he thinks the 380-agreement is a good idea! Amazing that they would let that slip out after paying money to Civic Economics to "prove" that the 380-agreement is a bad idea.

I think a competent therapist would recommend medication for the whole lot of them.

Edited by heights
  • Like 1

I think I saw the same Prius repeatedly driving back and forth down Koehler street on the day the non-biased traffic study was being performed.

On another note, it's funny how in the NPR story, Nick Urbano (from the Responsible Urban Development aka anti-Walmart group) says that he thinks the 380-agreement is a good idea! Amazing that they would let that slip out after paying money to Civic Economics to "prove" that the 380-agreement is a bad idea.

I think a competent therapist would recommend medication for the whole lot of them.

He thought it would be a good idea if they rebuilt MORE streets. In other words, it is a good idea if they rebuild HIS street, but since they are not, it is a bad idea to rebuild ANY of them.

I, for one, welcome our new overlords. I really just think everyone finally realized what a great and benevolent friend Walmart will be for the community. They were the clear underdog in this fight, but through the persistence and sheer determination of their supporters, they were able to overcome these great and unfair distortions lodged against them. That and the fact that there was nothing to legally block them in the first place.

As the inscription on each and every Walmart store proclaims, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to shop in a fluorescent-lit dreamscape of low, rollback prices, and, oh, check out our special $6 eight-pack of Starter tube socks!”

The large community of poor rich folks living in neighboring gated townhome complexes and expensive Heights rebuilds will finally have a place to seek refuge from high prices. It’s about time somebody started looking out for these folks.

As for the low-income folks living in Heights Plaza apartments…er, sorry, you gotta move now. There’s progress to be had, and you’re not invited.

I'm not sure how to rep this post. Initially I thoroughly enjoy the Simpson's reference, and one of my all time favorite quotes from the series (behind the Moe lie detector test)...on the other hand the sarcastic points make me want to neg rep it. Those apartments needed to go. They were not just ugly, but also unsafe. I recall last summer a child in some apartment complex somewhere else in town died when their stairs collapsed on it. After that accident the city sent out inspectors to inspect a load of apartments. This particular complex was featured on the news for having multiple unsafe units, and if I recall correctly (no guarantee) I seem to remember that they were even forced to close 1 whole building for a short period to make much needed repairs.

That is neither here nor there, but getting rid of these apartments is good for the area. I have several other units I would also like to see go, but these were pretty high up there on the list of buildings that need to be torn down; despite their historic contribution to the area.

My conclusion you get a +1 for the Simpson's reference, and a -1 for the overall content of your post....which nets you nothing.

The Walmart, though I dont shop there, or support it, is here to stay, and I will support their right to build and to stand up to a bunch of pushy snobs who try to yell and scream to get their way every time someone tries to do something they don't like.

• Like 1

Those apartments needed to go. They were not just ugly, but also unsafe. I recall last summer a child in some apartment complex somewhere else in town died when their stairs collapsed on it. After that accident the city sent out inspectors to inspect a load of apartments. This particular complex was featured on the news for having multiple unsafe units, and if I recall correctly (no guarantee) I seem to remember that they were even forced to close 1 whole building for a short period to make much needed repairs.

When you mention the "this" I bolded up top, Are you referring to the apartments on Heights blvd or the one with collapsed stairs somewhere.

When you mention the "this" I bolded up top, Are you referring to the apartments on Heights blvd or the one with collapsed stairs somewhere.

The units on Heights Blvd....and that was IF I was recalling correctly, but I believe I am recalling correctly.

It was one of those local news person investigates stories, following the stair collapse. They got the city reports on the worst units, and this one (on Heights Blvd) I believe was one of the worst.

The units on Heights Blvd....and that was IF I was recalling correctly, but I believe I am recalling correctly.

It was one of those local news person investigates stories, following the stair collapse. They got the city reports on the worst units, and this one (on Heights Blvd) I believe was one of the worst.

Interesting, I have cycled to work past this place everyday for several years and never noticed it in any major disrepair or with a building shuttered, I do not doubt your account though.

At least they still got everyday low prices on rent.