I wish the powers that be had allowed the UH system to set up shop at the HP campus instead of having Lone Star college set up yet another location in NW Houston. That area would have been better served by a location at which to finish a degree, rather than another place, in addition to Fairbanks and Barker Cypress, to get your first 2 years of schooling.

I wish the powers that be had allowed the UH system to set up shop at the HP campus instead of having Lone Star college set up yet another location in NW Houston. That area would have been better served by a location at which to finish a degree, rather than another place, in addition to Fairbanks and Barker Cypress, to get your first 2 years of schooling.

Agree. The Community college systems seemingly have more stable access to funding (via property taxes). I think most would rather have a University presence. With that said, I'm not sure how UH is going to successfully argue that it should be a Tier 1 University when it can't even get a campus built in a booming, under served part of the Houston area that has the demographics to support it and wants it.

UH wanted to expand to the Northwest but was blocked by Prairie View A&M and the THECB sided with A&M. They thought UH expanding to the northwest would compete with their school for students in the NW. There are more then enough people in the northwest to serve both schools and not only that the they mainly serve two different populations anyways since Prairie View is a historically black university.

UH is now able to go around this by collaborating with Lone Star.. which maybe why Lone Star is trying to acquire land.

http://www.thedailycougar.com/board-consid...ystem-1.1361692

With that said, I'm not sure how UH is going to successfully argue that it should be a Tier 1 University when it can't even get a campus built in a booming, under served part of the Houston area that has the demographics to support it and wants it.

But they built one in Sugar Land. And it's expanding I think...

UH wanted to expand to the Northwest but was blocked by Prairie View A&M and the THECB sided with A&M. They thought UH expanding to the northwest would compete with their school for students in the NW. There are more then enough people in the northwest to serve both schools and not only that the they mainly serve two different populations anyways since Prairie View is a historically black university.

UH is now able to go around this by collaborating with Lone Star.. which maybe why Lone Star is trying to acquire land.

http://www.thedailycougar.com/board-consid...ystem-1.1361692

Same thing I heard. Prairie View was stopping UofH because they would be taking students.

The UH Clear Lake is a stand alone university; the ones in Sugar Land and Cinco Ranch are run by UH system, not UH, I think.

I think you are unintentionally confusing matters. All UH universities and campuses are run by the UH System. The UH System includes a number of separate universities.

UH

UH Downtown

UH Clear Lake

UH Victoria, I think

The Cinco Ranch and Sugar Land campuses are part of UH I believe, meaning campuses of the central university.

I think you are unintentionally confusing matters. All UH universities and campuses are run by the UH System. The UH System includes a number of separate universities.

UH

UH Downtown

UH Clear Lake

UH Victoria, I think

The Cinco Ranch and Sugar Land campuses are part of UH I believe, meaning campuses of the central university.

What do you make out of this at the UH system website?

What do you make out of this at the UH system website?

Pretty much what I said. Except I guess the Cinco Ranch and Sugar Land campuses report to the System, not to any of the individual universities.

The confusion I feared was regarding UH-Clear Lake. The way you wrote it, I was afraid you gave the impression it was completely stand-alone and was not run by the UH System.

I agree...there are enough 2 year college locations in that area...there needs to be a UH campus.

UH

UH Downtown

UH Clear Lake

UH Victoria, I think

yeah thats pretty much accurate.. UHD..UHV..UHCL are under the UH system but not under UH-Main campus.. just like UT-San Antonio and UT-Arlington, etc are under the UT system but not UT-Austin..

Sugar Land and Cinco Ranch run under the UH System since they offer classes from UHD UHV UHCL and UH-Main

• 3 weeks later...

"Within a couple years, the new campus could have an enrollment of 10,000 students."

All I can visualize is a longer commute to work, tougher drive to stores and schools, and more apartments. What are the positives that might change my mind?

"Within a couple years, the new campus could have an enrollment of 10,000 students."

All I can visualize is a longer commute to work, tougher drive to stores and schools, and more apartments. What are the positives that might change my mind?

Well, IMHO -- the commute issue is the same, regardless of who occupies those buildings. And this part of town could definitely benefit from a higher-education presence, particularly the University Center type of facility. That could possibily be leveraged into attracting other employers to the area. Vintage Park and other nearby merchants should certainly see some increase in business.

• The title was changed to HP Campus Changes

Archived