Guest danax

Bizjournal article

A lot of these town center developments are popping up in the suburbs. The idea apparently is to give people some of the desireable aspects of the big city, such as dense, upscale, urban style housing within walking distance of retail and offices. It will be interesting to see how these town centers do over time. I think it will tend to keep a certain percentage of potential big-city buyers and renters in the burbs, which is good for commuter traffic and possibly bad for the new urban communities in the city, such as Midtown, as it bleeds off potential residents.

Wow..we're getting Dallas style sprawl! (that is..semi dense pockets of development far far flung from the CBD)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Wow..we're getting Dallas style sprawl! (that is..semi dense pockets of development far far flung from the CBD)

Actually I had recently driven through Richmond/Rosenburg on highway 90. I would have to admit that the prospect of this town center is really good if it's basically just the renovation of their downtown, because surprisingly unlike other suburbs, their downtown is really compact and dense (although it's a bit dead). They just need to revive it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

This place is huge! They're building out 1 million square feet in between Richmond and Rosenberg off of 59. Here's a link to the story => Brazos Town Center

Preliminary list of stores on board:

Best Buy

Target

Marshalls

Cinemark

Chili's

Ross

Hobby Lobby

Petco

Famous Footwear

Marble Slab

Buffalo Wild Wings

Panda Express

McAlisterā€™s Deli

On the Border

Texas Roadhouse

Mattress Giant

Nuance Hair Salon

Gamestop

Lane Bryant

Verizon Wireless

• Like 1

it's unfortunate that they are capitalizing on the "town center" wording. it doesn't sound like it's being developed as a cohesive mixed use environment. no mini-downtown, no waterway, no center..........just development. not a "town center" in the current use of the words. it does sound more convenient for people out that way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's no "Town Center" as you would hope it to be. This is the same exact mix of retail that they put in at their "Cy-Fair Town Center".

It pisses me off that they're using this terminology as it is essentially just a strip center. Nice strip center, but a strip center nonetheless.

Shame on you, NewQuest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

NewQuest expands Fort Bend mixed-use project

Houston Business Journal - 3:08 PM CDT Fridayby Jennifer DawsonHouston Business Journal

Executives at NewQuest Properties decided that 430 acres wasn't enough space for the company's Brazos Town Center development in Fort Bend County, so they have purchased an additional 125 acres for a second phase dubbed Brazos Town Commons.

NewQuest paid an undisclosed sum last month for the vacant tract. The seller was TriStar Real Estate Investments Inc., which was represented in the transaction by Spencer Stone of Prime Texas Realty.

Steven Alvis, NewQuest's managing partner, represented his firm in the land buy, which gives NewQuest a total of 555 acres in the area serving Richmond and Rosenberg.

The new site, which faces the original development, is on Highway 59 between Reading Road and FM 762.

Brazos Town Commons will include between 700,000 square feet and 800,000 square feet of retail space, 320 multifamily units, 50 single-family homes and 100,000 square feet of medical/professional office space.

The retail center will be anchored by Academy Sports & Outdoors, which has leased 83,500 square feet for a store that will open in the fall of 2007. Alvis worked with Dudley Carpenter, Academy's representative, on the lease transaction.

Rosenberg City Manager Jack Hamlett and Rosenberg's Economic Development Council were instrumental in landing Academy as the first tenant for Brazos Town Commons.

David Meyers of NewQuest says even though Brazos Town Center will have approximately 850,000 square feet of retail space, there was not enough room to accommodate all of the interested anchors, including Academy.

"We felt like there was enough retail demand out there" to justify the additional development, Meyers says.

When Brazos Town Center is completed, it will have 850,000 square feet of retail space with 25 pad sites; 600 high-end apartments; 330 single family homes; 251 patio homes; 152 townhomes and professional office space.

Stores in Brazos Town Center that are expected to open later this year include Target, Petco, Marshalls, Ross Dress for Less, Best Buy and Famous Footwear. NewQuest also has lease agreements with Hobby Lobby, Texas Roadhouse, Lane Bryant, On the Border and Texas State Optical. A Cinemark Theater opened there in May of this year.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

• 6 months later...

I think it's odd the JC Penney isn't mentioned in any of this stuff... The last time I was in town, the second portion (South side of 59 along Reading Road) looked cleared and prepped for the construction. I'm not sure of dimensions, but the signage said the Penney's and Academy would be placed there.

Another development at one of the city's other main exits would be the "Rosenberg Town Center" project. The sign's been there since the end of 2004, and with the other TC and other scattered developments in town and along 59 popping up, I'm just surprised nothing more's been mentioned about it by anyone.

Yeah, i go there all the time. Can't wait until Texas Roadhouse opens. The Target there is smaller than the one in Sugarland though. Also, they really don't have a deli. The BW3 place is pretty nice though. I'm hoping they would build a 24hr Fitness Center there. It would be closer for me.

Edited by icanluv2

• 5 months later...
Yeah, i go there all the time. Can't wait until Texas Roadhouse opens. The Target there is smaller than the one in Sugarland though. Also, they really don't have a deli. The BW3 place is pretty nice though. I'm hoping they would build a 24hr Fitness Center there. It would be closer for me.

For a bit of an update...McAlister's Deli has been open for a while and the Chick-Fil-A opened a few weeks back. Texas Roadhouse opened a number of months earlier. Office Max should be opening soon as it was the last part of the original major strip to be finished up. The last small strip's walls just went up over the past two weeks and will have a Dickey's Barbecue Pit and three other retail spaces (two of which I think are already leased out). The office building is being leased out and nearby a sign says that a 24 Hour Fitness is "Coming Soon". A Whitney Bank and Bank of America are now under construction as well.

They have somewhat of a scaled down version of the landscaping of The Fountains in Stafford around the Texas Roadhouse and On The Border. Yes, there are small scale fountains here as is a small gathering plaza/area. Surprisingly enough, there are a few other lit fountains running 24/7 in the undeveloped parts where the office building near "The Reserve" will be built.

The property flyer has been updated and shows far more in the way of retail on the portion of the project on the opposite side of 59 where the first portion was built. In another version of the plan, the store marked "Belk" is overlayed by "Kroger Signature". That portion is somewhat marked off at the moment but a sign near the Kohl's also says that this would be the site for a grocery store.

The streets of the neighborhood near the Cinemark theater have been laid out and it looks like several of the foundations for the homes have been poured so far.

New Quest also has something called "3 Mile Crossing" at the intersection of the 59 North Feeder & FM 2218. Haven't been able to find anything for it but there's a small connecting road between the FM & Feeder that's been completed in the past week. I just see two small strips facing one another in this case, but I'd like to see anything more on it...

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

Some photos from around the project as it is today...

Phase I

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

The Reserve is the residential component. There are a number of "Westin Homes-Sold" signs along several of the streets and a few are going up.

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

Phase II... Most of the connecting roads have been laid out but are just short of the primary routes they're supposed to connect to

JC Penney

DSC01030.jpg

Academy

DSC01031.jpg

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 5 weeks later...

A quick update... The connecting roads on the Phase II portion of the project are complete and have been striped for the most part. The JC Penney will open next Friday (10/5). I'd guess the Academy will be opening soon as construction started on it before the Penney's and it looks essentially complete as well.

New traffic signals have also been installed along Reading Road around Phase I to compensate for the increased traffic along that stretch and should be activated soon.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 3 weeks later...
Do you know when 24 hour fitness is going to be open?

Unsure, but the signs are up at the place where it's supposed to be built. It is supposed to be a "SuperSport" version of the club (see this to check out what that type offers)

The city is working on a lease agreement for the police department to have a storefront location somewhere in the project. That's supposed to be worked through tomorrow night at a city council meeting.

The Hampton Inn is being finished up and should be open relatively shortly, which would be helpful since they've already bought space on a billboard along the freeway on the southwest side of town within the past week.

On the opposite side of Reading Road from the Phase I portion, behind NTB there's some construction occuring on this piece of land.

EDIT

I looked at the site plan PDF, and it looks pretty much like a few run of the mill things, but the mention of a Cracker Barrel caught my attention. I know they've begun building locations off interstates within the past year or two, so it's not entirely impossible...

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 3 weeks later...

A brief update...

The Rosenberg Police substation was installed rather quickly and has signage up at this point. The tract that I'd mentioned as the potential "Kroger Signature" site now has 2 signs, one for Dollar Tree and another for Palais Royal.

The Palais Royal (originally Bealls) has been in Rosenberg for at least 25-30 years and moved from it's original location to a "new" location near the town line with Richmond about 5 years ago. The Dollar Tree once had a location in Richmond that opened around 2000 and was in a small strip center near the Wal-Mart Supercenter, though it closed relatively recently. It just seems so odd that a Palais Royal would be built right next to a Kohl's though...

The Dickey's Barbecue Pit is almost complete on the inside and a GameStop and SportClips have banners over their spaces in the strip that Dickey's will be in. The land has also been cleared in the space between this strip and the Arby's. I think it will be an Auto Service Center, maybe Firestone or Bridgestone?

The housing component is also coming along as well as several more of home sites are now buing built. Traffic is now allowed to move through all portions of this side of the project as well, as it had been barricaded at one of the entrances for a while.

• 4 weeks later...