Orange Julius At 6621 South Main St.

terrbo

evidently there was an Orange Julius store/stand near Med Center? Here's yet another matchbook cover I found in my new book..

post-3606-1231091830.jpg

• Like 1

Well that book is still full of surprises. My mom worked at one somewhere near Memorial. I'm not clear on where exactly.

Anyway, West Oaks Mall had one open up about 2 years ago.

Orange Julius was all over town in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I guess there are still a few still around. My wife worked at one in Memorial City Mall when she was in high school in the early 70s.

• 7 months later...

Full line, eh? That would explain why Orange Julius was in virtually every mall during the 1970s-1980s. They sold more than drinks. The local mall's frontage (Post Oak Mall in CSTX) had "french fries" below the name. Anyone have a menu from the 70s and 80s?

I worked at the Orange Julius at the North Town shopping center (north east corner of Tidwell and the North Freeway) in the mid-70's. The franchise was owned by my high school chemistry teacher. He wasn't the only teacher I knew who had a second job. The man was from Newburg, New York and was militant about how clean the restaurant was to be kept. Granted it was a small place but I'll bet it was the cleanest fast food place on the north side at the time. The building was free-standing in the parking lot and the roof looked like a pleated slab of concrete. There were windows on three and a half sides so it was easy to see customers approaching in their cars or on foot. Many walked over from the other stores in the shopping center including one very cute young lady with blond hair from the Sound Warehouse.

That drink I thought was kinda funky but downed many of them at the Memorial city Mall when it was hot growing up in memorial hollow... That mall was an island of cool in the heat...

Orange Julius stores were very prominent in malls during the 80's San Jac had one Sharpstown had one, Memorial City. Pretty much ever food court had them.

mhm133.jpg88212473_5f4e0ef667.jpg

orangejulios.jpg3327893392_ae5c0d0614.jpg

I worked at the Orange Julius at the North Town shopping center (north east corner of Tidwell and the North Freeway) in the mid-70's. The franchise was owned by my high school chemistry teacher. He wasn't the only teacher I knew who had a second job. The man was from Newburg, New York and was militant about how clean the restaurant was to be kept. Granted it was a small place but I'll bet it was the cleanest fast food place on the north side at the time. The building was free-standing in the parking lot and the roof looked like a pleated slab of concrete. There were windows on three and a half sides so it was easy to see customers approaching in their cars or on foot. Many walked over from the other stores in the shopping center including one very cute young lady with blond hair from the Sound Warehouse.

I remember that place.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an early Julius in the Village area on Kirby, I seem to recall. Was pretty exciting new flavor to me as a kid

If I'm not mistaken Northwest Mall opened with an Orange Julius in it, next door to present day "Chick-Fil-A". I know for certain it was there in the 70's, and am pretty sure it was an original tenant.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting tidbit from Wikipedia....

"In 1987, the Orange Julius chain was bought by International Dairy Queen. IDQ, and by inclusion since 1999, Berkshire Hathaway..."

Yes, and that's why they disappeared. Well, sometime in the 1980s, Orange Julius stores closed en masse, possibly because of DQ's reign. The thousands of stores vanished, and it wasn't until the late 1990s that they were "reintroduced" under the DQ/Orange Julius banner. By then, very few served hot dogs but no one served french fries. Here's a late specimen that was around in 2007...

http://www.labelscar.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/crossroads-mall-okc-27.jpg

/still waiting for one in either Galleria or Post Oak Mall

• The title was changed to Orange Julius At 6621 South Main St.