Ban On Giant Inflatable Advertising

sevfiv

Eyesore, distraction, none of the above?

Council Member James Rodriguez points to a big yellow duck as an eyesore in the Gulf Crest neighborhood.

"I do get complaints from several of my constituents about the way this looks, the way it detracts from property values and so we are concerned about businesses utilizing this type of advertising," he said.

Vice Mayor Pro-tem Sue Lovell is on the Quality of Life committee that moved a proposed ban on the attention-getting devices to the full council last week.

"If it's an attention-getting device, then it's also an attention-distracting device," she said.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...article-6498577

Vice Mayor Pro-tem Sue Lovell is on the Quality of Life committee that moved a proposed ban on the attention-getting devices to the full council last week.

"If it's an attention-getting device, then it's also an attention-distracting device," she said.

While I'm in favor of free speech and expression, these devises do seem to pose a hazard. Defining a distraction might be difficult.

Another form of advertising ban seems much more clear-cut: the use of small airplanes pulling advertising banners. The planes are much louder than ordinary aircraft, and I've seen traffic literally come to a halt as people craned their necks, only to discover that PayLess is having a sale, or that we should be drinking Bud.

Eyesore, distraction, none of the above?

Council Member James Rodriguez points to a big yellow duck as an eyesore in the Gulf Crest neighborhood.

when i saw this yesterday on the news i almost ____ in my pants. if a big yellow duck is the worst eyesore on that stretch of telephone road, we're in great shape.

when i saw this yesterday on the news i almost ____ in my pants. if a big yellow duck is the worst eyesore on that stretch of telephone road, we're in great shape.

Totally agree!

I would ban that incredibly bright LED billboard on 59/Shepherd before those giant inflatable things.

There may be some legitimate freedom of speech issues here, especially when the big inflatable is being used as a comment or a political statement. While driving by a construction site in Dearborn, MI, the other day, I passed by a picket line of unionized workers unhappy with the owners -- I didn't notice their specific grievances. Joining them on the picket line was a big inflatable rat.

I volunteer to take the inflatable county-orange jumpsuit dude from the bail bonds place on 45. I think it'd look cool in my yard.
and how long did the city leave that portapotty in your front yard? LOL maybe that's part of the city's public art project.

Glad to see our lawmakers are addressing the critical issues here... :rolleyes:

If they really are concerned about driving distractions then talking on mobiles while driving needs be banned first. Inflatable gorillas cause far fewer accidents. For that matter, why not just ban all billboards, since their whole point is to divert drivers?

Maybe we should ban talking on cell phones and TV's in vehicles before we ban these.

+1 to this also.

As a motorcycle rider, I've had more than my fair share of close calls with people talking on cell phones while driving, including one with a co-worker less than a block from work. Yes, he got an earful when we got into the parking garage.

This type of funky/cheesy advertising is getting out of hand and Should be banned. Surprised adult book stores havent started placing inflatable women on top of the buildings. :lol:

While they are at it they should ban those ugly inflatable things people put on the front lawns when the kids have birthday party. Looks very 3rd world. What happened to back yards? Hide that junk.

i honestly hate the MASSIVE advertisements or a McDonalds sign that is some 60 feet in the air. i mean come on people look around when you drive down the freeway. all you see are signs!

I dont want to infringe on peoples right to advertise and free speech but i want a clean city. i want a beautiful city. in your face ads and billboards the size of 18 wheelers are too much.

i wish we could greatly reduce the size of advertisement instead of driving down the freeway that looks like an advertisement las vegas strip!

The City Council voted Wednesday to ban the use of "attention-getting devices" for commercial purposes.

The ban will not go into effect until Jan. 1, 2010. But beautification advocates cheered the vote, calling the ban a necessary step to cleaning up Houston's blighted visual atmosphere and cluttered streetscapes.

"It's not just the inflatables, it's all the ticky-tacky," said Anne Culver, executive director of Scenic Houston. "Our problem with the unbridled proliferation of inflatables, pennants, banners and streams is that they were used day in, day out, year in, year out."

The vote follows the lead of Dallas, Austin and St. Louis in prohibiting the flashy and motion-driven devices, which also include floppy wind puppets, pinwheels, strobes, spinning discs and spotlights.

The council voted 9-2 to ban the devices. Voting in favor were Mayor Bill White and council members Wanda Adams, Peter Brown, Jolanda Jones, M.J. Khan, Sue Lovell, Melissa Noriega, James Rodriguez and Michael Sullivan. Councilwomen Anne Clutterbuck and Pam Holm dissented.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/6109606.html

More distracting than blow up signs are radio commercials that use screeching tires and honking horns to get your attention. Every time I hear one I try to go out of my way not to patronize that business.

I hate those ads, and also think they should be banned. I will never go to a place that uses those types of ads, especially on the radio, and I change the station when they come on.

Archived