1,000,000 trees for Houston

editor

Monday Mayor White will announce a program to plant one million trees around Houston. I know a lot of HAIFers have liked the new landscaping done around the freeways, this should be nice, too.

Wow, cool. Any reasons related to Ike? Got a link?

Thanks for the info

One must wonder what they mean by "trees"; stick-sized saplings, or nice 55 gallon caliper planted specimens? I certainly hope they go with the latter.

Considerations must be made regarding species, watering needs, etc. Live oaks are nice, but they should be mixed in with various other deciduous and coniferous species, such as Maples, other Oak species, Bald Cypress, Sweetgum, and Sycamore. More Crepe Myrtles would be nice as well, along with Vitex, Redbuds, and other flowering varieties.

I hope this involves tearing out the concrete erosion wall on the south freeway/59 combo just south of the 45 stack. The growth planted a few years ago on the opposite end is verdant and lush, especially in contrast with the grungy old concrete slope across the way. The small median there should be mowed and forested; it does not obstruct any merging traffic anyway. 45-S itself needs maintenance, with overgrown weeds and broken, unpruned trees mixed in with the out-of-context palms.

Many sections of 59 seem to have had some prep work done it seems, esp around Kirby. Minor landscaping was done earlier this year, and hopefully more trees are on the way. One concern here as well is the portion near the 610 stack, where some parts lack trees. They really need to fill in the gaps here and get a nice green ribbon growing along the freeways; with some landscaping going on into the suburbs (including Sugar Land, Stafford, etc) and the amount of growth in the beltway stack, this vision isn't too far from reality.

Great news overall, especially considering that freeway landscaping and such has improved by leaps and bounds in the past couple of years alone. Bring it on!

Wow, cool. Any reasons related to Ike? Got a link?

Thanks for the info

I don't think it is related to Ike. Looks like it's a partnership with an outside conservancy group.

No linkage yet. There will probably be a web site some time after the official announcement on Monday.

Monday Mayor White will announce a program to plant one million trees around Houston. I know a lot of HAIFers have liked the new landscaping done around the freeways, this should be nice, too.

The trees that TXDOT planted along the 529 Spur took a beating from Ike. Many are leaning at a 45

I have been wondering myself why so many city trees were planted so close together. You can see evidence of this in the recent plantings along the freeways and other areas like Memorial Park. The dense groupings may look nice initially due to the lushness, but as these trees mature, the growth is going to be constrained, both in the root structure and the canopy. Planting them too close will affect the long term health and attractiveness of the trees.

I assume the dense planting is two-fold: (1) TXDoT doesn't have the resources to regularly maintain the grass between the trees, and dense plantings will shade the ground so much that grass is discouraged, and (2) that a certain number of the new trees will die and TXDoT won't have the replace them...survival of the fittest and all that.

Here's the official announcement. Sorry it's late -- I was traveling.

-----------

Mayor Bill White and the Houston Parks Department today joined Trees for Houston, the Texas Department of Transportation, Houston

Archived