What PDA or Smartphone should I choose?

Blackberry Curve 8320 has wifi capabilities. That's what I have, except with T-Mobile, although I personally would still recommend getting the unlimited data plan, T-Mobile's is only 20 dollars a month.

But! Be prepared to never be able to put your phone down. :P Especially if you have multiple email accounts synced with it. (I have 4. <_< ) But I love my Curve.

Blackberry Curve 8320 has wifi capabilities. That's what I have, except with T-Mobile, although I personally would still recommend getting the unlimited data plan, T-Mobile's is only 20 dollars a month.

But! Be prepared to never be able to put your phone down. :P Especially if you have multiple email accounts synced with it. (I have 4. <_< ) But I love my Curve.

So you pay just $20 a month for your whole plan? Or is that just the data part? Also if it has wifi, can't you just tap in to your home wifi or where ever you go? I have an ipod touch that does that, and I want that in a phone. I want the emails and the internet and all that comes with it, but I want it free like I get on my ipod touch. I bought the Moto Q the other day, but I am thinking about returning it because its really wide, and I like to put my phone in my front pocket.

And you have the phone that I was looking at, but I don't think the curve that at&t has, has wifi?

I'm also looking at the Blackberry Pearl.

The Pearl is smaller, but the keyboard is the goofy cellphone style, not a QWERTY keyboard. That may not be a big deal to you if you have always used cellphones to text, but since I have had a (collectors item) Palm for 3 years prior to getting my Blackberry Curve, there was no way that I could go back to a non-QWERTY keyboard.

Palm is much more intuitive than Blackberry. However, Blackberry Curve is smaller and lighter, and seems to have more useful features. After about 3 days, I started to get used to the Blackberry's layout, but it is still not obvious. Still, even with the non-intuitiveness, I like the Blackberry much more than the Palm. And, it does a have several cool features.

Note that both Palm and Blackberry are better for business than pleasure. I don't do all the video and music stuff, so it suits me fine. But, there are other phones that handle media much better than either of these phones.

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."- Bill Clinton

Yeah, tell that to Hitler.

Redscare, are these quotes in your sig line a joke, or are you serious?

Cykat

^Let's keep this about smart phones...

Does anyone have any thoughts on Blackjack vs. Blackberry?

Good point, I'll move it to the proper thread, It's just so, well....................................utopian?

Sorry,

Cykat

Does anyone have any thoughts on Blackjack vs. Blackberry?

My old phone was the Blackjack (first edition) and now I have an office-supplied Curve. The BJ is 3G which means that webpages are rendered faster (and the WinMo browser is superior to the Curve's browser). However, 3G also sucked up the battery, so you had to be near a charger by the end of the day. And WinMo (I had version 5) is still Windows, so I would reboot the phone daily.

The Curve handles emails better, has a better battery life, and has a fantastic form factor. But if I didn't use it for work, I would probably go with the BJ, Q, or iPhone. Blackberrys are great for business, less great for pleasure.

I'm waiting for the next edition of the Curve. It will still be Edge, but will have GPS and WiFi, and a better browser.

travelguy 73, thanks for posting this after I just purchased the Curve. I will be returning my Moto Q today. I wish I had read this before I made the decision. Its just that after I bought the Moto Q I noticed that no one else had one and looked at it like, "What is that?" And I noticed that all the "cool" people had the Curve or the Pearl, so I decided to get a Curve. Not that I care whats cool, but the Moto Q was just too wide.

travelguy 73, thanks for posting this after I just purchased the Curve. I will be returning my Moto Q today. I wish I had read this before I made the decision. Its just that after I bought the Moto Q I noticed that no one else had one and looked at it like, "What is that?" And I noticed that all the "cool" people had the Curve or the Pearl, so I decided to get a Curve. Not that I care whats cool, but the Moto Q was just too wide.

You must have small pockets. I keep the Q in my front pocket and it never bothers me.

Well, I'm anxiously waiting for the Tmobile G1. As soon as I learn the capabilities, but from what I have read on Wiki, it holds promise.

I'm with Citykid, though, I want to be able to see if I can use the WiFi feature for free without buying the data plan.

edit:

Senior moment.

So you pay just $20 a month for your whole plan? Or is that just the data part? Also if it has wifi, can't you just tap in to your home wifi or where ever you go? I have an ipod touch that does that, and I want that in a phone. I want the emails and the internet and all that comes with it, but I want it free like I get on my ipod touch. I bought the Moto Q the other day, but I am thinking about returning it because its really wide, and I like to put my phone in my front pocket.

And you have the phone that I was looking at, but I don't think the curve that at&t has, has wifi?

Ok, your circular logic was confusing me! If you want the iPod touch functionality in a phone, then the iPhone is the elephant in the room. If you don't want to pay for data you might be able to find one unlocked (esp. the non-3G version since you don't care about a data plan).

Ok, your circular logic was confusing me! If you want the iPod touch functionality in a phone, then the iPhone is the elephant in the room. If you don't want to pay for data you might be able to find one unlocked (esp. the non-3G version since you don't care about a data plan).

With the original iPhone the data was included in the plan. With the new one (3G) it's listed as a $20 add-on. So, maybe it's possible to get it without the data plan.

It used to be possible to get a pre-paid iPhone by putting in 999-99-9999 for your Social Security number during the online credit check. If that's still possible, maybe you could get a pre-paid SIM and just drop data the second month.

I think you will find a lot to like about the Curve. I think it is the most popular BB, which says a lot. The big beef I have with it is that the standard browser doesn't like a lot of the webpages I want to visit. However, it likes Bloglines and Google, and that is really what matters to me. There is an Opera browser that does a nice job as well...check that one out. And I love MS Live's BB app for traffic and maps.

I think you will find a lot to like about the Curve. I think it is the most popular BB, which says a lot. The big beef I have with it is that the standard browser doesn't like a lot of the webpages I want to visit. However, it likes Bloglines and Google, and that is really what matters to me. There is an Opera browser that does a nice job as well...check that one out. And I love MS Live's BB app for traffic and maps.

You might consider updating the OS on your Curve. While the US carriers haven't officially released it, it's not hard to download a version of it from an international carrier and install it. I have a curve with OS version 4.5.0.81, and it adds a lot of new features, including HTML e-mail, video functionality to the camera, spell checking, and a MUCH improved browser. The upgrade takes some time to install on the phone but it's well worth the effort in my opinion.

You might consider updating the OS on your Curve. While the US carriers haven't officially released it, it's not hard to download a version of it from an international carrier and install it. I have a curve with OS version 4.5.0.81, and it adds a lot of new features, including HTML e-mail, video functionality to the camera, spell checking, and a MUCH improved browser. The upgrade takes some time to install on the phone but it's well worth the effort in my opinion.

Thanks, might be a fun weekend project. I'll check out the BB forums for that version and see what kind of feedback it is receiving. AT&T is always so slow to allow OS upgrades (they kept WinMo 5 on the BJ well after WinMo 6 was introduced).

Ahh, sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, I have had a busy past couple of weeks. But it looks like you have made you decision.

I pay $20 a month on the data plan, my phone bill with 2 lines is about $150 a month. Yes with the wifi you can set up the wifi browser you pick up whatever wifi signal is around you just like you could on a computer.

Though as you probably found out the at&t doesnt have wifi, theirs has gps capabilities.

And as ssullivan said, I would definately recommend updating the OS to 4.5. Just be sure to get it from a credible source.

Well, I'm anxiously waiting for the Tmobile G1. As soon as I learn the capabilities, but from what I have read on Wiki, it holds promise.

I'm with Citykid, though, I want to be able to see if I can use the WiFi feature for free without buying the data plan.

edit:

Senior moment.

Ahh I also want to check out the G1 Android. My ex gf works for T-Mobile, so I hope to get to see one soon. I am anxious.

Also, Blackberry is releasing quite a few new phones, The Pearl Flip 8220 and Curve 8900 aka the Javalin on T-Mobile, the Bold on AT&T, and the Storm(touch screen) on Verizon.

The Storm looks promising (and it's nice to see BB eat its words about on-screen keyboards), but that Pearl flip version I think would be hard to write anything more than SMS on. I know it's QUERTY, but the keys go right to the edge and seem cramped. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get to try one.

Thanks much for the OS upgrade recommendation. I got on Crackberry over the weekend, found the link, and went to town. I really do like the enhancements that 4.5.0.81 offers. The browser is so much nicer now, and I do like the HTML email (and like that you have to ask for the images in each email, because sometimes you just don't need them). OF course I got kicked off my BB server at the office, so right now am only getting Google, but I will get that corrected this week.

Thanks again. Now I can be content until the Javelin comes along :).

The Storm looks promising (and it's nice to see BB eat its words about on-screen keyboards), but that Pearl flip version I think would be hard to write anything more than SMS on. I know it's QUERTY, but the keys go right to the edge and seem cramped. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get to try one.

Actually, I think the Pearl Flip will be SureType like the candybar style Pearl, but I have been wrong before.

• 2 months later...

I have a Blackjack II now (AT&T) without much time to think - phone went in to washing machine for a while and needed a quick replacement. The full data plan is $50/month on top of the voice plan...

I was a little hesitant because of Windows mobile, but it runs smoothly (I don't like that there aren't the number of hacks as the iphone though).

My previous phone was a Samsung, too, and it had been through hell and looked beat up, but I was sure the washing machine drowning was its last straw. About a week or two of drying, though, and it now works like nothing happened!

My wife and I finally got ourselves a pair of iPhones last week as our Christmas presents to each other and I absolutely love mine. Of course, I am a Mac guy, so I am biased, but it's just so much better looking than all the other phones on the market and it works beautifully, as all things Mac do.

My wife and I finally got ourselves a pair of iPhones last week as our Christmas presents to each other and I absolutely love mine. Of course, I am a Mac guy, so I am biased, but it's just so much better looking than all the other phones on the market and it works beautifully, as all things Mac do.

No need to apologize. Since you have a Mac computer, it makes sense to get an iPhone since no other phone syncs as completely with Macs as the iPhone. RIM recently came out with a Mac sync program, but it doesn't do everything that iTunes does. I remember the old days of serial cable breakout boxes to get a Palm to sync with a Mac. It's an easy to decision to go iPhone if you're a Mac guy.

One interesting thing I always notice is that every time there is a TV commercial for a smartphone, the iPhone is the only one that doesn't have to put the "Screen Images Simulated" disclaimer at the bottom of the screen.

i have verizon otherwise i'd get an iphone but i thought about getting the LG dare. verizon's smart phone plans are pricey. 40 bucks on top of the voice plan so thats almost 90 bucks altogether.

right now i just stick with a regular cell phone and an ipod touch (upgraded from a palm tx)

Does the new iPhone copy and paste? Thats one of the things that stopped me from getting one in the first place, because I heard that you couldn't copy and paste.

I know it sounds dumb, but that's a convenient feature!

It doesn't natively - but there are apps you can get to give you the feature.

i have verizon otherwise i'd get an iphone but i thought about getting the LG dare. verizon's smart phone plans are pricey. 40 bucks on top of the voice plan so thats almost 90 bucks altogether.

The AT&T plan for the current iPhone is about $70 for voice and data. That's about $10 more than with the old iPhone. I guess it's because AT&T expects you to use more data since you'll be on the HSPA network instead of EDGE/GPRS. But text messages are no longer included in the voice plan. They run from $5/month for 200 messages to $20/month for unlimited.

I'm not much of a text message person. I figure if I have e-mail, that's good enough. I'd rather save the $5/month.

Archived