Bailout Nation: Freddie, Fannie, and more

Subdude

Let's ignore that both houses of Congress were owned by the Dems the majority of the time for the last 40+ years.. They have nothing to do with economics right? Like taxing and spending..

I didn't ignore the Democratic Congress. The guy who made this really cool chart did.

dow-returns_4.png

If you have one of Congress, I'd love to see it.

Dow Jones Industrial Average

Bush Inauguration: 10,587.59

Second Bush Inauguration: 10,471.47

Today: 10,325.38

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm happy to know that my rep, Gene Green, stuck to his no vote. (Unlike Ms. Jackson Lee).

He will get my vote again. Shout out to Beautiful Southwest Houston, Nick Lampson stuck to no as well. Ron Paul, goes without saying.

who voted yes with sheila?

were talking politics and he told me they knew who i was voting for cause of my glasses. it just went downhill from there.

I got the lenscrafter's 2 for $99, I even threw an extra $20 in so I could get one pair tinted. Who am I voting for Macbro ???

A stock injection option inserted into the signed Senate version, could essentially make the US taxpayers owners of preferred stock. The problem is that this has to be exercised at the discretion of the treasury secretary, and it's doubtful that Paulson would do this (even if it is supported overwhelmingly by economists.)

Link

And the bailout plan: FAIL !

Dow down -157.15 today

It seems to be a common idea that stock market indices, and the Dow in particular, serve as sort of all-knowing oracles that speak with one voice for "the market". This is probably fostered by financial reporting that inevitably treats market movements as reactions to news stories. In reality most days are probably just random noise on an aggregate level. I don't think one can infer that a decline of this size amounts to a verdict one way or another on the bailout. In the event, the relevant numbers for judging whether the bailout is successful are LIBOR/EURIBOR quotes.

They found a flaw in the financial system and mobilized themselves around it. The hedge funds are sort of like computer hackers in that sense. "Hack the world!"

Not so much a flaw, but an unregulated area, one where they could do what they wanted...and they did.

For those who did not see it last night, here is the web version.

60 Minutes

They found a flaw in the financial system and mobilized themselves around it. The hedge funds are sort of like computer hackers in that sense. "Hack the world!"

They didn't just stumble upon a flaw. They lobbied to create that flaw and protect it from regulation. (See Phil Gramm and the "Commodity Futures Modernization Act".) They went out of their way to harm the long term future of their investors, their corporations and the United States in exchange for short term gains.

Dow down 729 now, S&P down 8% :o

The European markets were absolutely brutal. FTSE had it's biggest 1-day point loss ever.

All of this after the Fed announced it was doubling down on its liquidity provisions to the market. Now they are dropping hints about providing funds directly to businesses other than banks.

Perhaps proving the saying that it is an ill wind that blows no good, oil is at $88.31 (remember the panic it would increase to $200?) USD/EUR has plunged to 1.35, which I suppose is good news if you like a strong dollar.

Dow down 729 now, S&P down 8% :o

The European markets were absolutely brutal. FTSE had it's biggest 1-day point loss ever.

All of this after the Fed announced it was doubling down on its liquidity provisions to the market. Now they are dropping hints about providing funds directly to businesses other than banks.

Perhaps proving the saying that it is an ill wind that blows no good, oil is at $88.31 (remember the panic it would increase to $200?) USD/EUR has plunged to 1.35, which I suppose is good news if you like a strong dollar.

Days of the 4-digit DOW are here... We're headed even lower. I have feeling we're going to see a lot of 2 steps back, 1 step forward for quite a while... In my opinion, everything is over valued... stocks, oil, housing, etc...

Archived