Hurricane Ike

Trae

I understand the highway being lifted right behind a seawall - but we aren't on Galveston Island. We are miles away in the Clear Lake area. And my mother is right by the Gulf Freeway - told to evacuate for Rita. I just can't see it. And I've been through three hurricanes so far if you count Rita, which I kinda do.

Oh, I see. No, we are not going to have a tidal wave, like in 'Deep Impact' that floods from the east coast to the Ohio River Valley. :D Is Mom in an official evac zone now. I know they switched up some things after Rita. I do know someone in Clear Lake Shores that must leave before the tides get to be 3' because exit of the area is blocked. But all the way to I-45? I just can see it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the different tracking models out there, I asked myself which one was the most reliable. I came across this article describing the differences in the models. It says the GFDL is most accurate. Currently, that model is showing a track towards Galveston.

Understanding the different hurricane models

Chron's Sci guy agrees and says the GFDL is the one the NHC puts the most faith in.

However, he also said in the chat that there were two others, ECMWF and the UKMET, that have performed the best so far for Ike.

I'm sure they don't update the tracks that fast. I think the next advisory comes out at 6 PM or 7 PM.

I think it's possible to do more updates during the day when the visible satellite images can see the eye. Overnight, I think it's limited to hurricane hunter trips.

One of the meteos on HAIF probably knows for sure.

I think it's possible to do more updates during the day when the visible satellite images can see the eye. Overnight, I think it's limited to hurricane hunter trips.

One of the meteos on HAIF probably knows for sure.

No, they update depending on how far the storm is from landfall... has nothing to do w/ day or night.

A Freeport to TX/LA landfall is looking a LOT more likely now. No two storms are the same, but the same conditions for Ike happened with Rita. Ike is at the EXACT same spot now (three days before landfall) that Rita was. In fact, both were Wednesdays. This was about the time people started leaving Houston and it was announced we had no school for a week (Katy ISD).

Check this out (Rita is the lighter shade):

ike_rita.jpg

Rita historical is inline with Ike, too: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005/RITA_graphics.shtml

A Freeport to TX/LA landfall is looking a LOT more likely now. No two storms are the same, but the same conditions for Ike happened with Rita. Ike is at the EXACT same spot now (three days before landfall) that Rita was. In fact, both were Wednesdays. This was about the time people started leaving Houston and it was announced we had no school for a week (Katy ISD).

Check this out (Rita is the lighter shade):

ike_rita.jpg

Rita historical is inline with Ike, too: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2005/RITA_graphics.shtml

.... and Rita ended up going east of Houston.

They're predicting a category 4 hurricane from this storm up until landfall. If it gets picked up and pulled north, what would prevent that from taking it straight to Galveston?

It's a hurricane. Nothing but air pressure can stop it from going anywhere.

Sorry, Dad, but I agree with Rammer. Keep your wimpyaz home until those that must evac can. A tree can fall on your house pretty much any month throughout the year as the result of a turnader.

I've been through so many storms that I just go into H-mode and do my preps and hunker down (and drink, and drink, etc.)

Like I said I'm not going anywhere. And if people are so concerned about evacuating and being able to get out in an orderly fashion, they should leave right now when it's easy.

And anyway, my response was more directed at him calling people cowards, not the idea of a staged evacuation.

We are in Katy and I think we will look for a place to run. Mainly because of power outages. Right now we don't know where to head. We have two small dogs to take with us. Any ideas?

Denver. ha ha j/k... but seriously... it's hard to say for sure right now... since Ike is forecast to lift towards the north after landfall heading north won't necessarily keep you out of danger... at this point it seems like west is the way to go... towards San Antonio.

I just got through watching The Weather Channel. OMG, have you guys seen their moisture radar? It is BEAUTIFUL. They have this high altitude camera that shows the swirls over time of the moisture content.

I had not seen it before, so it might be old news, but wow ... the storms in the Gulf and in the Pacific off the coast of Mexico look gorgeous (if you can say that about a storm).

Galveston has just ordered a mandatory evacuation for the West End, and is providing shelters on the island for those that choose to stay.

My parents have decided to stay put in Galveston. Not in a shelter, though. I think they're crazy.

Personally, I'm tempted to take any days off of work that I can and go camping in West Texas like I did during Rita. Never mind the storm, I need a vacation!

My parents have decided to stay put in Galveston. Not in a shelter, though. I think they're crazy.

Personally, I'm tempted to take any days off of work that I can and go camping in West Texas like I did during Rita. Never mind the storm, I need a vacation!

The Chronicle is reporting that Galveston ordered a voluntary evacuation of the West End, so I retract my earlier statement.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hurricane/5993388.html

Archived