Hurricane Ike

Trae

Looks like a solid eye is finally about to form on the latest satellite images...I'm no wx, but that doesn't seem like a good thing

I think its actually a slot of dry air. The good news is that Ike has missed the best chance it had for rapid strengthening. The bad news is that the Gulf could support more moderate strengthening. Either way this is a huge surge threat.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its actually a slot of dry air. The good news is that Ike has missed the best chance it had for rapid strengthening. The bad news is that the Gulf could support more moderate strengthening. Either way this is a huge surge threat.

Yeah...I only said that b/c it was "still" for a couple of frames there, but then disappeared - no complaints here!

I've been hearing that also with it being so huge of a storm. Still, i expect at least 65mph winds thru Sugarland...

The pressure's risen a bit, which is good. (It went from 945 mb to 952 in their intermediate update.) They're still forecasting a category 3 hurricane, but a weaker hurricane isn't out of the question. Don't go home yet because the biggest danger is the surge that it could cause.

Jim Cantore on WC was just reporting that he is certain it will hit Galveston. Just passing that on, take it for what it is worth. The worst part of what he said was talking about the boarding up of the windows and said "I am standing in front of...what are these things called...oh yeah, a strip mall..."

Jim Cantore on WC was just reporting that he is certain it will hit Galveston. Just passing that on, take it for what it is worth. The worst part of what he said was talking about the boarding up of the windows and said "I am standing in front of...what are these things called...oh yeah, a strip mall..."

Uuugh I hate The Weather Channel... and I am a Meteorologist! First... will Galveston see "something"... yes, almost definitely... will it take a direct hit... not sure yet! Right now it's looking like Freeport to Sabine Pass... more likely Galveston to Beaumont.

Uuugh I hate The Weather Channel... and I am a Meteorologist! First... will Galveston see "something"... yes, almost definitely... will it take a direct hit... not sure yet! Right now it's looking like Freeport to Sabine Pass... more likely Galveston to Beaumont.

hehe..that is why I said take it for what it is worth. I know a lot of people don't like his judgment.

I predict a non-event... the winds will slow by the time it gets here, and it is moving too quickly to cause major flooding.

As an aside, why are there so many Ike-related threads -- just one wouldn't do??

I predict that those who take a direct hit from Ike will not consider it a 'non-event'... just my opinion.

Jim Cantore is the MAN, tons better than Frank Billingsley, but I only have a Frank Billingsley avatar made.

Hunker down!

As an aside, why are there so many Ike-related threads -- just one wouldn't do??

There are a lot of aspects to this event. Breaking things up makes it more organized and easier to find things some people are looking for.

The fact that the section has 462 messages in three days shows there is great interest.

htownwx, are you millwx on dailykos?

Nope.

I was thinking, they need to make a big budget disaster movie about a massive hurricane in the gulf and title it "Cone of Uncertainty". Why hasn't it been done before?

Everyone hunker down and stay safe! I hate hurricane chaos.

Who needs a movie... WE ARE LIVING IT! ha ha ha

National Weather Service, Galveston Office:

All neighborhoods [in Galveston]... and possibly entire coastal communities... will be inundated during high tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes will face certain death. Many residences of average construction directly on the coast will be destroyed. Widespread and devastating personal property damage is likely elsewhere. Vehicles left behind will likely be swept away. Numerous roads will be swamped... some may be washed away by the water. Entire flood prone coastal communities will be cutoff. Water levels may exceed 9 feet for more than a mile inland. Coastal residents in multi-story facilities risk being cutoff. Conditions will be worsened by battering waves. Such waves will exacerbate property damage... with massive destruction of homes... including those of block construction. Damage from beach erosion could take years to repair.

I was thinking, they need to make a big budget disaster movie about a massive hurricane in the gulf and title it "Cone of Uncertainty". Why hasn't it been done before?

Everyone hunker down and stay safe! I hate hurricane chaos.

disaster movies always portray events that can't be anticipated or forecast in advance.

National Weather Service, Galveston Office:

All neighborhoods [in Galveston]... and possibly entire coastal communities... will be inundated during high tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes will face certain death. Many residences of average construction directly on the coast will be destroyed. Widespread and devastating personal property damage is likely elsewhere. Vehicles left behind will likely be swept away. Numerous roads will be swamped... some may be washed away by the water. Entire flood prone coastal communities will be cutoff. Water levels may exceed 9 feet for more than a mile inland. Coastal residents in multi-story facilities risk being cutoff. Conditions will be worsened by battering waves. Such waves will exacerbate property damage... with massive destruction of homes... including those of block construction. Damage from beach erosion could take years to repair.

I know that statement was from the Weather Service, but I've been reading the blog that excerpted it for the last couple of days and it's the most panic-inducing weather read I've ever seen. If you're a fan of disaster books, it's worth bookmarking.

Most meteorologists I know don't get worked up into a frenzy the way that blog does. I know our meteorologist HAIFers are busy doing more important things than cruising this message board, but if one's around I'd like to hear their estimation of what's written there. Is it really all that bad?

disaster movies always portray events that can't be anticipated or forecast in advance.

Or they're forecast by a rugged looking, yet super smart action hero who can save the day in the last five minutes.

I know that statement was from the Weather Service, but I've been reading the blog that excerpted it for the last couple of days and it's the most panic-inducing weather read I've ever seen. If you're a fan of disaster books, it's worth bookmarking.

Most meteorologists I know don't get worked up into a frenzy the way that blog does. I know our meteorologist HAIFers are busy doing more important things than cruising this message board, but if one's around I'd like to hear their estimation of what's written there. Is it really all that bad?.

I'm curious, too - the link on the blog didn't go to the weather office referenced and I couldn't quickly independently verify the post.

LOL

I am in 5 Houston (which is the last building in downtown on the east end) and the windows in my office face east (I can see the ship channel) and south. Our building management has advised us to lower our blinds to protect our offices. I am not a rocket scientist, but I am pretty sure miniblinds aren't going to protect our offices from flying debris and glass when the windows shatter.

I am jokingly telling people it would be funny if a cow ended up in our offices, alive and well of course (you know like in the movie Twister, when you see the cow go by mooing, LOL)

That was one of my favorite scenes from that movie. But that (cow) would not be happy.

Archived