College Football 2008-09

lockmat

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SEC vs. Big 12, I think the top of the Big 12 (top 4 teams) are better overall than the top 4 SEC teams. But top to bottom I give the SEC an edge, the Big 12 north is just so ridiculously bad, plus ATM. I actually like Baylor this year, they have played tough. That would have been awesome if they knocked overrated Missouri off their high horse.

SEC vs. Big 12, I think the top of the Big 12 (top 4 teams) are better overall than the top 4 SEC teams. But top to bottom I give the SEC an edge, the Big 12 north is just so ridiculously bad, plus ATM. I actually like Baylor this year, they have played tough. That would have been awesome if they knocked overrated Missouri off their high horse.

It actually may have been bad for the eventual big 12 south winner, who need Mizzou to stay highly ranked since they will most likely be in the big 12 title game. Agree though, Baylor has some great players, they just need to learn how to win. That team always loses the 4th quarter...

Are you saying that 7/12 teams in the SEC have won a road game against a team that currently has a winning record??? Lets compare apples to apples...

Agreed, I don't think anyone wants to play them right now...still can't see how they lost to Ole Miss at home, but I saw it with my own eyes...

The only thing about Florida is how much credence you lend to beating the crap out of LSU and Georgia, both of which appear to be highly overrated...interesting to see how well LSU does against Bama and Ole Miss...

Yes, SEVEN SEC teams have won road games against teams that currently have a winning record. Those 7 teams are Georgia, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss.

AND, do you really think Baylor would beat Auburn, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and Miss State? I HIGHLY doubt that. Baylor was crushed at home by Wake Forest. Wake has turned out to be a middle of the road ACC team. Baylor also lost on the road at UConn.

Baylor's resume includes wins over NW State, Washington State, and Iowa State. Those teams are a combined 1-16 versus I-A teams. Washington State has been outscored 127-0...yes, ZERO... in their last two games!

Baylor is just as terrible as ever.

Yes, SEVEN SEC teams have won road games against teams that currently have a winning record. Those 7 teams are Georgia, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss.

Your argument could just as easily be used to show the relative weakness of the top SEC teams as showing top to bottom strength.

AND, do you really think Baylor would beat Auburn, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and Miss State? I HIGHLY doubt that. Baylor was crushed at home by Wake Forest. Wake has turned out to be a middle of the road ACC team. Baylor also lost on the road at UConn.

Baylor's resume includes wins over NW State, Washington State, and Iowa State. Those teams are a combined 1-16 versus I-A teams. Washington State has been outscored 127-0...yes, ZERO... in their last two games!

Baylor is just as terrible as ever.

Wake is a good team who is one game out of first in their division...Baylor played them to open the season and Baylor is a young team who is getting better every weak, much like aTm...What's wrong with losing on the road at UConn in a highly competetive game to a team who was picked by many to win their conference and still might? Lets remember we are talking about our doormat losing to potential BCS conference division winners...

Auburn has quit (you could throw Tennessee in there too), Arkansas has no talent at skill positions, Vanderbilt lost to Duke AT HOME and I wont pick them against a high school team after that (also, their tough road win came at Ole Miss where Mississippi turned the ball over 6 times and once on the two yard line as a back was walking into the end zone for a winning score)...

Also, to Red's point, you argument can just as easily prove it is much tougher to win a road game in the Big 12...Nothing could be further from the truth regarding Baylor being just as terrible as ever, Robert Griffin is a special player and they have some all Big 12 talent on their O line...watch some of the highlights from the game against Mizzou...

Wake is a good team who is one game out of first in their division...Baylor played them to open the season and Baylor is a young team who is getting better every weak, much like aTm...What's wrong with losing on the road at UConn in a highly competetive game to a team who was picked by many to win their conference and still might? Lets remember we are talking about our doormat losing to potential BCS conference division winners...

Auburn has quit (you could throw Tennessee in there too), Arkansas has no talent at skill positions, Vanderbilt lost to Duke AT HOME and I wont pick them against a high school team after that (also, their tough road win came at Ole Miss where Mississippi turned the ball over 6 times and once on the two yard line as a back was walking into the end zone for a winning score)...

Also, to Red's point, you argument can just as easily prove it is much tougher to win a road game in the Big 12...Nothing could be further from the truth regarding Baylor being just as terrible as ever, Robert Griffin is a special player and they have some all Big 12 talent on their O line...watch some of the highlights from the game against Mizzou...

Do you watch any college football that isn't in the Big 12?

Wake is 5-3. They are a decent ACC team but the ACC has proven to be the worst BCS league despite the perception of the Big East. The Big East Champ has defeated Oklahoma and Georgia the last 2 years in BCS games. ACC teams haven't won a BCS Bowl game in this Century. Additionally, Wake lost at home to Navy. While Navy isn't bad, the ACC preseason pick shouldn't be losing at home to a service academy. Wake was also shutout by Maryland. Those are the same Terps that lost to Middle Tennessee State University! Oh, and last thing about Wake, they needed OVERTIME to beat Duke last weekend 33-30... you know, the same Duke team that you made fun of Vandy for losing to.

Speaking of Duke, are you aware that the Blue Devils are 4-4 this year? Are you aware that they have wins over THREE teams with winning records? Are you aware that their 4 losses have come against teams that are a combined 25-10? Duke isn't a bad team. I'd put money on them to beat Baylor for sure. I mean, compare the wins. BU has defeated Northwestern State, Washington State, and Iowa State. Those teams have combined to beat ONE I-A team; Kent State! Duke has defeated James Madison, Navy, Virginia, and Vanderbilt. Navy has already accepted a bowl invitation and Virginia and Vandy are likely to be bowl teams as well.

Finally, UConn isn't going to win the Big East nor were the picked to win the Big East. UConn is 2-2 in Big East play. They trail 3-0 West Virginia. They'd need the Mountaineers to lose THREE games because UConn just lost at WVU by a score of 13-35. UConn also lost to a bad Rutgers team and needed overtime to beat TEMPLE, 12-9. UConn has been shut down by Temple, North Carolina, Rutgers, and West Virginia. Those teams held the Huskies to an average of 11 points in regulation play. Yet, they hung 31 on the Bears...

Do you watch any college football that isn't in the Big 12?

Wake is 5-3. They are a decent ACC team but the ACC has proven to be the worst BCS league despite the perception of the Big East. The Big East Champ has defeated Oklahoma and Georgia the last 2 years in BCS games. ACC teams haven't won a BCS Bowl game in this Century. Additionally, Wake lost at home to Navy. While Navy isn't bad, the ACC preseason pick shouldn't be losing at home to a service academy. Wake was also shutout by Maryland. Those are the same Terps that lost to Middle Tennessee State University! Oh, and last thing about Wake, they needed OVERTIME to beat Duke last weekend 33-30... you know, the same Duke team that you made fun of Vandy for losing to.

Speaking of Duke, are you aware that the Blue Devils are 4-4 this year? Are you aware that they have wins over THREE teams with winning records? Are you aware that their 4 losses have come against teams that are a combined 25-10? Duke isn't a bad team. I'd put money on them to beat Baylor for sure. I mean, compare the wins. BU has defeated Northwestern State, Washington State, and Iowa State. Those teams have combined to beat ONE I-A team; Kent State! Duke has defeated James Madison, Navy, Virginia, and Vanderbilt. Navy has already accepted a bowl invitation and Virginia and Vandy are likely to be bowl teams as well.

Finally, UConn isn't going to win the Big East nor were the picked to win the Big East. UConn is 2-2 in Big East play. They trail 3-0 West Virginia. They'd need the Mountaineers to lose THREE games because UConn just lost at WVU by a score of 13-35. UConn also lost to a bad Rutgers team and needed overtime to beat TEMPLE, 12-9. UConn has been shut down by Temple, North Carolina, Rutgers, and West Virginia. Those teams held the Huskies to an average of 11 points in regulation play. Yet, they hung 31 on the Bears...

So is the ACC so awesome that Duke is really a great team or so terrible that Wake is god aweful for losing to anyone in the league??

Your right, Wake sucks, but they were good enough to beat Ole Miss in a game I WATCHED (one of your SEC teams with a quality road win)...Duke sucks too, (along with everyone in the ACC) but they were good enough to beat your vaunted, road tested, Commodores at home...the SEC is not the untouchable league it once was, the middle of the road and bottom feeding SEC teams just aren't that great this year. Vandy got way too much credit for beating Auburn at home by a point. Right now they are playing bad football on a three game losing streak.

I watch a lot of college football outside of the Big 12 and grew up a fan of an SEC team...I would ask you if you have watched any Baylor games before deriding them as being "just as terrible as ever" which is certainly not true...they lost some non conference games early under a freshman quarterback and a new head coach and are only now starting to play their best football. I am not saying they are a good team yet, but neither are any of the SEC teams I think they would beat. Unfortunately for them, they play in a division where 4/6 team are ranked in the top 10...

And just so we are clear, I am talking about picking a team in hypothetical games based on watching the teams play, you seem to be the one picking them based on the transitive property of college football. I may have been harsh on Vandy for losing to an improving Duke team under Cutcliffe, but that is still a game a decent SEC team should win at home every time.

But the transitive property can be fun...how about Wake > Ole Miss > Florida????

EDIT:: UConn beat the tar out of that Virginia team you give Duke so much credit for beating...also West Virgina has some very losable games ahead like @Pitt and South Florida...

So is the ACC so awesome that Duke is really a great team or so terrible that Wake is god aweful for losing to anyone in the league??

Your right, Wake sucks, but they were good enough to beat Ole Miss in a game I WATCHED (one of your SEC teams with a quality road win)...Duke sucks too, (along with everyone in the ACC) but they were good enough to beat your vaunted, road tested, Commodores at home...the SEC is not the untouchable league it once was, the middle of the road and bottom feeding SEC teams just aren't that great this year. Vandy got way too much credit for beating Auburn at home by a point. Right now they are playing bad football on a three game losing streak.

I watch a lot of college football outside of the Big 12 and grew up a fan of an SEC team...I would ask you if you have watched any Baylor games before deriding them as being "just as terrible as ever" which is certainly not true...they lost some non conference games early under a freshman quarterback and a new head coach and are only now starting to play their best football. I am not saying they are a good team yet, but neither are any of the SEC teams I think they would beat. Unfortunately for them, they play in a division where 4/6 team are ranked in the top 10...

And just so we are clear, I am talking about picking a team in hypothetical games based on watching the teams play, you seem to be the one picking them based on the transitive property of college football. I may have been harsh on Vandy for losing to an improving Duke team under Cutcliffe, but that is still a game a decent SEC team should win at home every time.

But the transitive property can be fun...how about Wake > Ole Miss > Florida????

EDIT:: UConn beat the tar out of that Virginia team you give Duke so much credit for beating...also West Virgina has some very losable games ahead like @Pitt and South Florida...

Why don't we just take the common opponents approach with regards to Duke and Baylor.

Baylor lost 45-13 in Waco to Wake Forest. Wake could have NAMED the score. How do I know this? Because I watched the game.

Duke went to Groves Stadium last week and forced the Deacons into overtime before losing 33-30.

With regards to West Virginia; even IF they lose the two games you mentioned, they'd need to lose a third game in order for UConn to pass them in the Big East standings. UConn would also have to not lose another game. Plus, the other teams ahead of UConn in the current standings would have to lose a couple as well. BTW, South Florida isn't going to win in Morgantown in DECEMBER. They're gonna freeze to death and get pasted. Why? Because the Bulls can't beat a decent team on the road (witness back-to-back losses at Louisville and Cincy).

Finally, why do you assume I am an SEC fan?

I generally detest the SEC. Georgia (and Oklahoma) was involved in the first lawsuit against the NCAA that turned college football into the mess it is today. They also plucked away Arkansas causing the demise of the SWC. It's just my opinion that the SEC is a better league, top to bottom, than the Big 12.

Why don't we just take the common opponents approach with regards to Duke and Baylor.

Baylor lost 45-13 in Waco to Wake Forest. Wake could have NAMED the score. How do I know this? Because I watched the game.

Duke went to Groves Stadium last week and forced the Deacons into overtime before losing 33-30.

With regards to West Virginia; even IF they lose the two games you mentioned, they'd need to lose a third game in order for UConn to pass them in the Big East standings. UConn would also have to not lose another game. Plus, the other teams ahead of UConn in the current standings would have to lose a couple as well. BTW, South Florida isn't going to win in Morgantown in DECEMBER. They're gonna freeze to death and get pasted. Why? Because the Bulls can't beat a decent team on the road (witness back-to-back losses at Louisville and Cincy).

Finally, why do you assume I am an SEC fan?

I generally detest the SEC. Georgia (and Oklahoma) was involved in the first lawsuit against the NCAA that turned college football into the mess it is today. They also plucked away Arkansas causing the demise of the SWC. It's just my opinion that the SEC is a better league, top to bottom, than the Big 12.

A common opponents approach to Duke and Baylor won't get us any closer to proving or disproving my original statement with which you found fault; that Baylor could beat the bottom feeding teams in the SEC...I didn't assume you were an SEC fan, just that you think teams like Vandy, Miss St, Auburn, Ark, and Tennessee are light years ahead of Baylor, which I contend they are not...since Baylor hasn't played any of them on the field, the only thing we can do is talk about the transitive property of historical wins and losses, which really can't be done in college football. The Baylor team that played Wake in week 1 bringing in a freshman QB off the bench is not the same team you will see against my Longhorns this weekend.

Hopefully we can settle the whole SEC vs Big 12 thing in the bowl season...nothing would make me happier than a Florida/Bama vs. UT/Tech/Oklahoma/OSU MNC game...though personally I think Tech will fade in the next two weeks.

I would also like to see more Big 12 vs SEC bowl matchups. But, that's the other problem with the BCS. No, every bowl has conference tie-ins so interesting matchups are much less likely.

The Cotton Bowl and Independence Bowl do offer SEC vs. Big 12 matchups but that's kinda it unless they meet in a BCS Bowl. The Cotton Bowl is decent, but it matches the Big 12 runner up (unless 2 Big 12 teams make the BCS) with the SEC's 4th best (behind the BCS, Capital One, and Outback). The Indie Bowl is so down in the pecking order that they rarely seem to get anything other than 6-6 type teams.

I really wish the non-BCS bowl games would open up to all other teams. It would make for much better matchups. I'd like to see teams like TCU in the Alamo or Cotton Bowl vs. Big 12 teams.

It's just my opinion that the SEC is a better league, top to bottom, than the Big 12.

Wyoming 13 Tennessee 7 (in Knoxville)

Tenn is now 3-7.

Arkansas is 2-6 in its last 8 games.

Miss State is 2-5 in its last 7, one win being against Tenn-Martin.

Auburn is 5-5, finally breaking a 4 game losing streak against....Tenn-Martin.

Your "top to bottom" argument is listing badly right about now. At least A&M and Baylor are getting hammered by BCS contenders. Wyoming?

I agree. I do think they will lose in 2 weeks against OU in Norman.

Tech has a great chance to win in Norman. Tech knows Bradfords ability and knows they can beat OU. the only thing that can hinder them is the home field advantage. No one has been able to stop Techs offense and i doubt that OU's defense can rattle graham harrell.

Graham is cold as ice. nothing rattles him easy

Tech has a great chance to win in Norman. Tech knows Bradfords ability and knows they can beat OU. the only thing that can hinder them is the home field advantage. No one has been able to stop Techs offense and i doubt that OU's defense can rattle graham harrell.

The only reason i give the nod to OU is that they're playing at home. If it was in Lubbock, TT would win.

Tenn is now 3-7.

Your "top to bottom" argument is listing badly right about now. At least A&M and Baylor are getting hammered by BCS contenders. Wyoming?

ATM lost to Arkansas St. At home.

Iowa St has 2 wins, against South Dakota St and Kent St.

Baylor's 3 wins are against Iowa St (suckiness mentioned), Washington St (1 win this year), and Northwestern St (LA). Impressive.

Kansas St's 4 wins have come against the likes of North Texas, Montana St, LA-Lafayette, and...ATM.

I don't see how that looks any better than your argument. Crappy teams are crappy. While no one likes to see Tennessee and Auburn lose more than I do, I'll take them against any of those 4 big 12 teams. Wouldn't bother to watch the game though.

The point is that suckage is suckage. I was not pointing that the SEC suckage was worse, merely that BOTH conferences have 3 or 4 forgettable teams this year. When both conferences have 3 or 4 teams that suck that bad, a "top to bottom" argument is worthless. Better to just look at the top 6 or 8 and be done with it. On that count, the Big 12 looks to be slightly stronger this year.

I'll reserve final judgement for January 8, 2009 on which one is really better.

I would argue that Texas did an excellent job of slowing Tech's offense, especially when their own offense put them in so many bad positions. They held them without a touchdown in the second half until the final play of the game and should have stopped that drive with an easy interception....Tech is a great team and Crabtree and Harrel are awesome, but they are not unstoppable. Although they did look pretty freaking unstoppable this past weekend...

Nebraska also did an excellent job of containing them...I want to see a rematch of Texas and Texas Tech in Miami!!!!!!!!!! I really do think they are the two best teams in the country, although I know I will hear it from Florida fans...

EDIT::: I really don't want to sound like I am dogging Tech, I think they should be number one right now...Just don't be too exuberant just yet, there is a lot of football left.

I would argue that Texas did an excellent job of slowing Tech's offense, especially when their own offense put them in so many bad positions. They held them without a touchdown in the second half until the final play of the game and should have stopped that drive with an easy interception....Tech is a great team and Crabtree and Harrel are awesome, but they are not unstoppable. Although they did look pretty freaking unstoppable this past weekend...

Nebraska also did an excellent job of containing them...I want to see a rematch of Texas and Texas Tech in Miami!!!!!!!!!! I really do think they are the two best teams in the country, although I know I will hear it from Florida fans...

EDIT::: I really don't want to sound like I am dogging Tech, I think they should be number one right now...Just don't be too exuberant just yet, there is a lot of football left.

I now see Florida beating Alabama in SEC title game. OU beating TT next week. So it could be Florida vs. Texas in Miami. I still prefer it to be a SEC vs. Big 12 team for national title. It would be interesting to see TT and Texas again. I always thought that the BCS committee would prefer that two teams in the same conference not be playing in the title game, but Texas vs. TT is a strong possibility.

Tenn is now 3-7.

The problem with your above list is that Arkansas might be the Longhorns best win out of conference unless you want to count the win over Rice.

Additionally, the Big 12 is 0-4 against the ACC. The ACC has historically been the weakest link in the BCS. 3 of the 4 losses came in Big 12 stadiums and the 4th was on a somewhat neutral site.

The Big 12 is also just 2-3 against the Big East and 1-1 versus the Big Ten.

Honestly, outside of Oklahoma (wins over TCU and Cincy), the Big 12 did nothing out of conference.

The problem with your above list is that Arkansas might be the Longhorns best win out of conference unless you want to count the win over Rice.

Additionally, the Big 12 is 0-4 against the ACC. The ACC has historically been the weakest link in the BCS. 3 of the 4 losses came in Big 12 stadiums and the 4th was on a somewhat neutral site.

The Big 12 is also just 2-3 against the Big East and 1-1 versus the Big Ten.

Honestly, outside of Oklahoma (wins over TCU and Cincy), the Big 12 did nothing out of conference.

So you point out that the 4 crummy Big 12 teams in the Big 12 lost to 4 of the best teams in the ACC? And that means what? 3 of those ACC teams were ranked. By comparison, Wyoming is nearly dead last in the Mountain West Conference.

You still miss the point that I am not saying the Big 12 bottom feeders are any good. They are not. I merely state that the SEC bottom feeders are just as bad. The only difference is that I read balanced Big 12 and SEC reporting, where you are apparently saturated with East coast SEC favoritism. Even my buddy who graduated from both LSU and Florida concedes that the Big 12 is slightly better this year. But he, like I, looks at the top down, as opposed to your bottom up attempt.

This is not an argument you can win. The bottom of each conference is tragically bad. You cannot put lipstick on any of these pigs (insert Palin joke here).

The point is that suckage is suckage. I was not pointing that the SEC suckage was worse, merely that BOTH conferences have 3 or 4 forgettable teams this year. When both conferences have 3 or 4 teams that suck that bad, a "top to bottom" argument is worthless. Better to just look at the top 6 or 8 and be done with it. On that count, the Big 12 looks to be slightly stronger this year.

I'll reserve final judgement for January 8, 2009 on which one is really better.

I agree. The SEC is a bit down this year from last. Some are up and some are down, but overall the big 12 is slightly better. It fluctuates every year.

I now see Florida beating Alabama in SEC title game. OU beating TT next week. So it could be Florida vs. Texas in Miami. I still prefer it to be a SEC vs. Big 12 team for national title. It would be interesting to see TT and Texas again. I always thought that the BCS committee would prefer that two teams in the same conference not be playing in the title game, but Texas vs. TT is a strong possibility.

Bama will definitely lose. We have the worst QB ever and it still took them overtime to beat us. So many more things I could say, but let's leave it at that. I had a fun time at the game up until the end. Record crowd.

So you point out that the 4 crummy Big 12 teams in the Big 12 lost to 4 of the best teams in the ACC? And that means what? 3 of those ACC teams were ranked. By comparison, Wyoming is nearly dead last in the Mountain West Conference.

You still miss the point that I am not saying the Big 12 bottom feeders are any good. They are not. I merely state that the SEC bottom feeders are just as bad. The only difference is that I read balanced Big 12 and SEC reporting, where you are apparently saturated with East coast SEC favoritism. Even my buddy who graduated from both LSU and Florida concedes that the Big 12 is slightly better this year. But he, like I, looks at the top down, as opposed to your bottom up attempt.

This is not an argument you can win. The bottom of each conference is tragically bad. You cannot put lipstick on any of these pigs (insert Palin joke here).

There is no east coast SEC favoritism, I hear the opposite. Definitely southern SEC favoritism.

I see Florida vs Texas Tech or Texas now. Depends on rankings after the OU-TT game, and how close it is. Obviously if Tech wins they're in, and Missouri isn't going to beat them. I think if it's a really close game, in Norman, TT might not drop past 5th, but voters would have to think really hard about who they like better. After the 3-way tiebreaker plays out, that is. Should be a fun finish.

OK, so you stick with the team with the worst record in the SEC (Tennessee) losing to Wyoming. I mean, it's not like Iowa State lost to UNLV...ooops.

Here's my thing, how do we know the Big 12 is some kind of awesome this year? The out of conference schedules for the best teams were BAD. Only Oklahoma played a decent schedule. Do we really learn anything by them beating each other?

The truth is, when the Big 12 did play quality teams, they likely LOST.

Colorado lost to Florida State

Nebraska (the 2nd best Big 12 North team it appears) lost to Virginia Tech at home

Kansas lost to South Florida

Iowa State lost to Iowa

Kansas State lost to Louisville

Baylor lost to UConn and Wake Forest

Texas ATM lost to Miami

Tech didn't play anyone

Texas didn't play anyone

Okie State didn't play anyone (and that hurts me to say that because I root for UH)

Missouri really didn't play anyone as Illinois has proven to be a pretender

Obviously my LSU Tigers aren't what they were last year, but hey, when you come back from being down 31-3 in the 3rd quarter to win 40-31, that's a pretty damn good comeback. I wish I was there to see it. I have a feeling that half the crowd left be halftime (anyone there know?), I bet most wish they hadn't.

Archived