Best Vietnamese in Midtown

ditto on Cali Sandwich. Mai's went really downhill; I wouldn't recommend it.

while a lot of people seem to think that mai's has gone downhill as of late, their vermecelli bowls are still pretty damn good.... especially for 6 or 7 bucks.

but cali sandwich does indeed rock.

while a lot of people seem to think that mai's has gone downhill as of late, their vermecelli bowls are still pretty damn good.... especially for 6 or 7 bucks.

If I need a good inexpensive vermicelli bowl, there are other places nearby that I'll go to. Mai's is always an unpleasant experience. And their prices, even for vermicelli, tend to be rather high IMO.

If I need a good inexpensive vermicelli bowl, there are other places nearby that I'll go to. Mai's is always an unpleasant experience. And their prices, even for vermicelli, tend to be rather high IMO.

Agree. And who needs Maiarehha?

Thiem Hung on Pease is my fave.

Does it have to be Midtown? The best Vietnamese in town isn't there anymore... Check out the "new" Chinatown along Bellaire, especially along Beltway 8, if you get a chance. :)

I'm occasionally out there when I feel like stocking up interesting groceries not sold at Randall's, but I live and work DT, and spending $10 on gas is a sour proposition. ^_^

I've always disliked Mai's. I miss Lido.

I've yet to find another place that has Bo Luc Lac as good as Lido's was. I get depressed every time I drive by where they used to be.

Van Loc... stay clear. RUDE wait service. I haven't been back in years because of it.

Not sure I ever had outright rude service there - I'd call it more indifferent than anything else. We used to eat there semi-regularly because it was one of the few non-fast-food restaurants that was open late, and the food was dependably good.

I've yet to find another place that has Bo Luc Lac as good as Lido's was. I get depressed every time I drive by where they used to be.

I feel your pain. If you haven't yet, check out the bo luc lac at Kam's (Montrose just north of 59). It isn't Lido, but it's the best I've found.

Not sure I ever had outright rude service there - I'd call it more indifferent than anything else. We used to eat there semi-regularly because it was one of the few non-fast-food restaurants that was open late, and the food was dependably good.

Over the last six months Van Loc has got it act together. And it's cleaner now as well. We hit it for lunch or on weekend afternoons.

Most of the old crew is still there but there are some new faces. I am glad the one Guicci belt boy is gone. He was most of the problem if you ask me.

Does it have to be Midtown? The best Vietnamese in town isn't there anymore... Check out the "new" Chinatown along Bellaire, especially along Beltway 8, if you get a chance. :)

The Banh Mi in Midtown still rocks. I'd say the bread at Les Givrales is the best baguette I've found in Houston.

According to my jeweler (Mark from Minh Tri; I followed him from Midtown to their fancy new location in Bellaire) there's still no good Banh Mi in Bellaire (it's all chains).