New to town; Should we move to the Heights

cdiggity

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are moving to Houston from Chicago within the next month. We're looking for a place starting in August and we've heard some good things about the Heights. Would you recommend this area to live in? We're both mid-20's, would like to go out and meet people but also like to veg occasionally. I like that Memorial Park is near the Heights (is it all it's cracked up to be?). Is it a safe neighborhood. Some of the houses are being rented for less than $1500 for a 2br...is that the normal rate?

Sorry! So many questions. Everything is just overwhelming.

Thanks for your help.

The Heights is pretty nice.. though if proximity to Memorial Park ( or Herman ) is a search criteria, there are some closer areas to search.

Har.com if you haven't discovered it yet is a very useful tool in finding a place.

You can search with their map feature ( though it sometimes misses listings) or You can search by zip code which is especially usefull...

77008 is the Heights.

77007 is south of the Heights - the neighborhoods around Washington Ave. (closest zip code to Memorial Park )

77006 is Montrose and Neartown

77019 is North Montrose ( near Buffalo Bayou Park and running trails.)

77005 is Rice Village area.. ( near Herman Park).

77098 is Greenway/Upper Kirby and just west of 006 and 019

You can easily rent a good 2 bedroom for 1000-1600 or so in these areas.

Good luck with your search

I don't live in the Heights, but it is one of my favorite parts of the city. You are literally just a few minutes from downtown, yet at times it feels like you are in a small town. As with any large city, there will be areas that are better from others. You can cross the street and go from hood to high dollar.

I agree with the above posters as well. Take a few months and get to know the city. You might find that you prefer something other than the Heights.

I love the Heights. I can't imagine being anywhere else in Houston. If you're in your 20s and find yourself doing the social scene at least 5x per week, the Heights may not be your solution. Midtown is the answer to that. The Heights is an urban location, but there is definitely a small town feel to it. You won't find many of the chain restaurants so if you really like those, be prepared to travel. There is a good mix of restaurants/pubs/cafes which are not corporately owned so you get that mom'n'pop feel about the area. It definitely feels like you've taken the Delorean on a spin back several decades...I still hear the ice cream truck trolling the summer nights in the area. Many people walking around, or biking. Neighbors actually come out to talk to each other and there are some great neighborhood sponsored events (First Saturday, Lights in the Heights, etc).

Crime? Yes. Its all relative though. Much of it seems to be crime of opportunity: ie don't leave your purse on the front seat of the car overnight. The Heights is still changing though, some areas quicker than others. As far as gentrifying, east of Heights Blvd is much better than west of Heights Blvd. I would be more cautious if you're looking north of 20th street and north of Main St. There are some nice homes up there, but its still much more transitional than the areas, say, south of 11th. In my opinion the area bounded by Heights (west), White Oak aka 6th (south), Studewood (east) and 11th (north) offer the easiest in terms of walkability to some of the more popular areas. You probably can't get a rental in your price range in that zone, but see if you can get close to that. PM me if you want some more details...

I've lived in Houston all my life. I currently live in the Heights (well, the fringe, anyway). I chose the Heights when I decided I wanted a house with a yard, because it was the most affordable of any of the neighborhoods I would want to live in. The thing to be aware of about the Heights is that it's spotty. The quality of the environment varies from street to street. That's true of most of Houston, but it's particularly noticeable in the Heights.

One of the secrets of living happily in Houston is having a short commute, so we could offer more intelligent advice if we knew where you and/or the boyfriend will be working. I agree with the notion that you shouldn't commit to anything long term until you've been here a while a gotten a feel for the place.

Highway6 gave you a good primer on some ideal locations. To that list I would add zip 77027. I lived there prior to my move to the Heights. You'll probably have to settle for an apartment to stay in your price range, but there are some good complexes there, and it's really easy access to shopping, restaurants, movies, etc. I would still be in that area if I could have afforded to buy there, but it was way out of my reach.

I love living in the Heights and I love my house, but I do miss being so close to "the scene".

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are moving to Houston from Chicago within the next month. We're looking for a place starting in August and we've heard some good things about the Heights. Would you recommend this area to live in? We're both mid-20's, would like to go out and meet people but also like to veg occasionally. I like that Memorial Park is near the Heights (is it all it's cracked up to be?). Is it a safe neighborhood. Some of the houses are being rented for less than $1500 for a 2br...is that the normal rate?

Thanks for your help.

The Heights is the best neighborhood in Houston. PERIOD!!!

If you are in your mid-20's and want to rent, then I would strongly recommend an apartment in midtown. That is where it is at for the young professionals, there are a lot of places to go out, you can walk everywhere.

Memorial Park isn't that far away and Rice Stadium is close, too.

For the record, I am 31, but I act 21 and my house in is the Heights. I spend a lot of Friday and Saturday nights crashed on my friends' couches who live in midtown. :D

Hi there,

Thanks for your help.

The question is - do you want to live in the middle of everything, or do you want to live close to everything? The good thing about the Heights is that you've got a good neighborhood feel that's still very close to a lot of important areas in Houston, and there are still some decent bargains to be had. I'd classify Midtown/Montrose/Upper Kirby as more "urban" and perhaps more exciting to the younger crowd, but if I were interested in a reasonably affordable house with a yard I'd go for the Heights. With the Heights you'll also have good access to Washington Ave, which is quickly becoming a pretty interesting strip

Try the Memorial heights area also, it's near the "Bel Air" and there are a ton of places (resort style apartments around there, Jackson Hill, etc) and you should also try Memorial drive from Montrose/Studemont to Westcott, and some of the Rice Military area..All of these areas are adjacent to The Heights, but they all have a different feel..Ex. If you like Lincoln Park and it's Townhomes, check out Rice Military and Camp Logan. If you want enjoy the greenery and parks of Houston w/great pools and something totally different than Chicago Try the apartments on Memorial Drive that between Studemeont and Westcott.

Which type of hood do you like in Chicago? I will try my best to match it, but you won't find anything like River North, Gold Coast, Old town,etc(highly dense/urban near downtown), but you also don't get the really old and crappy places that some of those areas provide...

Hi there,

Thanks for your help.

My boyfriend and I live in the Heights... bought a home a little over 2 years ago... the Heights is a great neighborhood... quiet... safe... close to all of the good areas of Houston (Downtown, Midtown, Montrose, Memorial, The Galleria). If you like to go out any of these areas are good to live in and you will just be a short drive from everything. The Heights is knows for being one of the more "quiet" areas but is still "in the loop" and close to everything.

My boyfriend and I live in the Heights... bought a home a little over 2 years ago... the Heights is a great neighborhood... quiet... safe... close to all of the good areas of Houston (Downtown, Midtown, Montrose, Memorial, The Galleria). If you like to go out any of these areas are good to live in and you will just be a short drive from everything. The Heights is knows for being one of the more "quiet" areas but is still "in the loop" and close to everything.

You're getting good advice, but being totally objective, if you and your boyfriend are going to be serious, Heights OR Montrose is the way to go if you want to settle down. If you want to party for a couple of more years, go to Midtown, you will be within walking distance of quite a few bars and restaurants. Living in Montrose can be a bit on the exciting part, but (depending where in Montrose) you also have a great number of restaurants/clubs/lounges to go to.

South Heights have some good apartments, but think about where work is before you make your final call, though. Depending on where it is, you might put just a few miles on your car a week (like SOMEONE used to that currently lives in the heights).

I love the Heights and couldn't imagine living anywhere else in the city. My hubby and I are in our mid30s but we have friends in our neighborhood in their mid 20s, so there are indeed younger couples around. We are big foodies and like going to low key bars as much as we did 10 years ago (just now it requires a babysitter). One of the things I love about the Heights is I can be out with the kid in his stroller, walking my dog, and feel like I am in a small town, BUT I am 5 minutes from downtown and just as long from all the bars and restaurants on the Washington strip.

As far as Memorial Park, if you are interested b/c you want to walk/ jog the loop there, the Heights has a trail along the boulevard and I find I can easily go for a 3 mile walk along the north/south streets in the Heights. Looking at the houses and saying "hi" to people makes my exercize much more enjoyable B)

Oh, and I live in 77009. Proctor Plaza is a wonderful, friendly neighborhood with all kinds of people. Since there is no new contruction, you are not going to live in a bungalow with some huge new house peering in to your backyard. We love this about it.

There are so many good things to say. I think you guys will be very happy if you rent in the Heights. It's the best of everything Houston has to offer with easy access to all the nightlife and all the highways, enabling you to get anywhere you want quickly.

Let us know what you decide!!

You're getting good advice, but being totally objective, if you and your boyfriend are going to be serious, Heights OR Montrose is the way to go if you want to settle down. If you want to party for a couple of more years, go to Midtown, you will be within walking distance of quite a few bars and restaurants. Living in Montrose can be a bit on the exciting part, but (depending where in Montrose) you also have a great number of restaurants/clubs/lounges to go to.

South Heights have some good apartments, but think about where work is before you make your final call, though. Depending on where it is, you might put just a few miles on your car a week (like SOMEONE used to that currently lives in the heights).

The Heights was actually my boyfriend's first pick... I would prefer Montrose, Midtown or Downtown (more action)... but I love our house and we are still really close to everything.

Been in the heights for about 2 years now, and before we were in Montrose before we had kids. If you're into the part scene, then like others had said, Midtown might be the ticket. But distances are really relative, and there are plenty of hang-out places which are not far from Montrose/Downtown/Heights/Midtown.. You can probably drive anywhere to anywhere in about 10-15 minutes..

As far as a neighbourhood, we like the heights because of it's architecture (no cookie cutter mass produced houses), eclecticism (coffee shops, 19th st, non-chain food places, someburger (yum) ), and friendly residents who are aware and care about their 'hood.. the area is easily walkable and has many activities.. Plus everything else is so close, why would you leave?! :)

Wow! Everyone has been sooo entirely helpful. Thank you so much. We are currently looking at har.com and I think we're debating between the Heights and Midtown. We have about three weeks to decide so I will definitely keep you updated.

And I'm not sure who asked this question but we currently live in Wicker Park in Chicago. Not a huge Lincoln Park fan but will go there occasionally. I like Wicker Park because there's a lot to do within walking distance but it's also more "quiet" than Wrigley or Lincoln Park.

Again, thanks so much. If you have any more advice, keep it coming ;)

we also used to live in montrose and we enjoyed it, but i like the feel of the heights so much better. i feel much safer walking after dark by myself.

speaking of walking, i think the heights is the most pedestrian friendly neighborhood in town. you want a mellow night out? you can walk to onion creek, antidote, shiloh, heights sports and social club, 6th street, beer island. want something more crazy? it's 5 minutes to the midtown bar scene, but you can come home and not have to hear all the drunks walking under your apartment window.

What do you guys think about the address 802 Enid St? It's in zip code 77009.

Brookesmith would still be considered more "transitional" than other nearby areas although it's all relative. I live in North Norhill which is a historic district and considered "desirable" and the Enid address is less than a mile from me. My beef with that house is that they've "granitized" the poor old house, definitely the work of a flipper. Then again, that might just be "what everybody wants." <_<

And I'm not sure who asked this question but we currently live in Wicker Park in Chicago. Not a huge Lincoln Park fan but will go there occasionally. I like Wicker Park because there's a lot to do within walking distance but it's also more "quiet" than Wrigley or Lincoln Park.

Again, thanks so much. If you have any more advice, keep it coming ;)

Wicker Park/Bucktown = Montrose/Lower Westheimer or Washington Avenue (the Washington Avenue Crowd is definitely similar to Wicker Park, mostly 25 or 30+). Ex. Washington Avenue is to Rice Military what Division St. was to Bucktown 2-3 yrs. ago, but it has about a year to go. The Midtown Crowd is more similar to the Lincoln Park crowd(Mostly, recent college grads, but not as obnoxious as Lincoln Park's grads). From the sounds of it, the heights maybe the better choice (proximity to parks, wash ave area, montrose and a lot, i mean a lot quieter than Midtown)...Hope this helps..I'm heading to Bucktown after in 5 mins..Peace

I'm originally from Chicago (Southside) and I love the Heights. It's a very cute area. I currently rent not too far from the Galleria and have been looking to buy. If I could have afforded what I want in the Heights, it would definitely have been a strong contender. Personally, I would choose the Heights over Midtown, but my main criteria for looking for housing has always been to look at what will get me to work the fastest (but that's my personal preference). If you like an area that is "walkable" I would also choose the Heights over Midtown. I have a friend who lives in Midtown and her subdivision is cute - but I would not go walking outside of it, unless I went with a big stick :)

As far as safe areas, I'm sure others could comment better than I. Being from Chicago and having lived in every conceivable type of neighborhood since then from coast to coast, I'm pretty comfortable everywhere. I think an alarm and common sense will go a long way.

Warm Regards,

Lei

Hello everybody again!

So we're not really finding what we're looking for in the Heights, unfortunately, but we did find a place we're interested in near Texas Medical Center. What do you all think of that neighborhood? It's right near Hermann Park, zip code 77021. Thanks guys!

Hello everybody again!

So we're not really finding what we're looking for in the Heights, unfortunately, but we did find a place we're interested in near Texas Medical Center. What do you all think of that neighborhood? It's right near Hermann Park, zip code 77021. Thanks guys!

That's also a pretty cool area given it's proximity to the park and TMC (Texas Med. Center). It's really nice, if you're a person who likes to go for a random jog/walk due to the scenery that surrounds Rice U and the Park. Did you check out anything on Memorial or Allen Parkway in the 77007/77019 area codes?

Hello everybody again!

Consider it a blessing in disguise. TMC is a good area to move into as well, renting from there will give you a bit of a perspective on what you want long term.

Hello everybody again!

I really like that neighborhood. Lots of stuff to do, good access to all freeways via 288. It lacks certain amenities such as restaurants and a grocery store, but everything can be found a pretty short distance away (Montrose, or South Main, for example).

• 2 weeks later...
I'm originally from Chicago (Southside) and I love the Heights. It's a very cute area. I currently rent not too far from the Galleria and have been looking to buy. If I could have afforded what I want in the Heights, it would definitely have been a strong contender. Personally, I would choose the Heights over Midtown, but my main criteria for looking for housing has always been to look at what will get me to work the fastest (but that's my personal preference). If you like an area that is "walkable" I would also choose the Heights over Midtown. I have a friend who lives in Midtown and her subdivision is cute - but I would not go walking outside of it, unless I went with a big stick :)

As far as safe areas, I'm sure others could comment better than I. Being from Chicago and having lived in every conceivable type of neighborhood since then from coast to coast, I'm pretty comfortable everywhere. I think an alarm and common sense will go a long way.

Warm Regards,

Lei

If you are considering resale, and you should, the Heights historically has done much better than mid-town.

Archived