Anyone remember Modville?

rps324

This one could go in any number of categories. I found an old map to Astroworld. I think it was one I got when we went to Astroworld the first day it opened. They had a section called "modville." I don't remember this in Astroworld's more recent years obviously. Anyone remember this?

Modville.jpg

Anyone remember this?

I do. It extended over to the needle and the Barrel of Monkeys, I believe. There was a box with a store in it near there selling black light posters and other "mod" items.

I was watching a show about Hershey Park last night, they had (at one time) a ferris wheel just like the orange one on the map. Built just like it, with two spokes of baskets. And I always thought that Astro orange one was one of a kind! Neat map, I vaguely remember Modville.

I think the Horizon theater was part of Modville also. That stupid movie made me sick EVERYTIME !!!

yep...but on rps' older map...the orbiter (future runaway rickshaws) hasn't been enclosed yet to make the building for the soon-to-be horizon theater.

anyone know if the rumors from back in the day were true?

that the orbiter was moved to oriental village because someone got hit by it after they enclosed it

barrel of fun...now that was a ride! <barf on>

Some random information on wikipedia:

"Modville was renamed International Plaza at the beginning of the 1977 season"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroworld

and:

"ASTROWHEEL--Double Ferris wheel. This "first of its kind" ride was located in Modville. It remained in the park until 1979. The site eventually became the location for AstroWorld's Looping Starship."

http://www.coasterphotos.com/SFAW/sfawhistory.htm

yep...but on rps' older map...the orbiter (future runaway rickshaws) hasn't been enclosed yet to make the building for the soon-to-be horizon theater.

Oh yeah, I remember when they did that.

that the orbiter was moved to oriental village because someone got hit by it after they enclosed it

I dunno, but I remember the story.

I rode that 30 times in a row one day.

"ASTROWHEEL--Double Ferris wheel. This "first of its kind" ride was located in Modville. It remained in the park until 1979. The site eventually became the location for AstroWorld's Looping Starship."

OOORRRRR, as I liked to call it, "The Change Jiggler !" There had to be at least $30 in change in the pit by the end of the day at "Looping Starship", it was a total money grab.

I rode that 30 times in a row one day.

Were you passed out in it and they just forgot to get you ?

Looking at that map again, it looks like they would have had to move the railroad to accomodate the Texas Cyclone when it was added later.

Were you passed out in it and they just forgot to get you ?

Nah, I would have lived in it if they would have let me. A friend and I played catch in it.

Looking at that map again, it looks like they would have had to move the railroad to accomodate the Texas Cyclone when it was added later.

I thought the Cyclone was across the tracks (like Greased Lightning).

Nah, I would have lived in it if they would have let me. A friend and I played catch in it.

I thought the Cyclone was across the tracks (like Greased Lightning).

I remember the train came out to the front of the park in the mid 70's. I can honestly say I NEVER rode that train, and I lived at Astroworld during the summers. About the runaway rickshaw I thought a kid got hit by it or thrown out AFTER it was moved over by the river boat adventure ? What year was the Horizon built to house a ride ? I bet that was VERY trippy, as I can imagine they had all sorts of flashing lights and music going on inside as the ride whipped around.

I found this full map:

astro47.jpg

Looking at another map i found that I can;t post here right now, they appear to have squeezed the Cyclone just inside the railroad tracks and they eventual removed the formula racers. I distinctly remember BOTH of them being there at the same time at one point though.

This one could go in any number of categories. I found an old map to Astroworld. I think it was one I got when we went to Astroworld the first day it opened. They had a section called "modville." I don't remember this in Astroworld's more recent years obviously. Anyone remember this?

Everyone should remember Mod-Ville! When I saw this topic I thought you wuz joking.

The ModBox was the cool big square building that was a chip off the old Apple Boutique/London Shoppe of Beatles fame. Or rather it was just a hippie style building that sold mod/hippie stuff inside. Astroworld opened in 65? The British MOD 60's scene was flourishing over in the UK ala Piccadily Circus or as we now see in flashback films Austin Powers. In the Modbox you could find anything Astroworld related and or hippieish ala black light posters, happy face stickers, lava lamps, inscents? The ceiling had twirling 60's wind chimes. They also had those shag carpet barefeet peel and stick stickers. Some purple, blue, green, etc. Like these but in color!

feet.gif PS also had Rat Fink paraphanelia like this crazy guy: rat_fink.gif

There was ride called "The Happening" in Mod Ville which also had the drug culture mystique sound to it. We described it earlier on Astroworld topics. It was very cool inside and features more blacklight posters and played loud rock n roll as you got sick spinning around.

Kids like us were certain it was just for grown up hipsters. I was still a Peter Brady double so it was too bizarre for me.

PS, The Barrel of Fun was fantastic! when the floor fell out it was cool! :P

Kids like us were certain it was just for grown up hipsters. I was still a Peter Brady double so it was too bizarre for me.

Those Modville rides were too scary for me, I remember the Barrel of Fun, with the dropping floor, while spinning. Was too scared to go on it. It was for the "wild boys". :D I liked the Bamboo Chute.

Brady Bunch days for sure, for me, too. I also liked David Cassidy.

nope, just inside the tracks. here's a link to quite a few of the maps through the years.

Holy crap. I just got a little choked up actually looking at those maps and remembering so many fun times before I out grew the rides (being tall isn't all it is cracked up to be).

It all came flooding back to me. Wow.

Great thread!

I remember riding the Barrel of Fun and thinking the kid directly across from me was going to hurl any minute. All I could think about through the entire ride was how it was going to be thrown all over everyone. Luckily, he was able to contain it until the ride came to a complete stop. Whew!!

I was watching a show about Hershey Park last night, they had (at one time) a ferris wheel just like the orange one on the map. Built just like it, with two spokes of baskets. And I always thought that Astro orange one was one of a kind! Neat map, I vaguely remember Modville.

Someone that lives on State Hwy 6, around Arcola I believe, bought all the blue baskets. They have been in his front yard for years.

Someone that lives on State Hwy 6, around Arcola I believe, bought all the blue baskets. They have been in his front yard for years.

I saw those too, years ago, on Almeda-Genoa Road, after where it meets Telephone Rd, going west, before Hwy 288. Nice to know those carts are still sitting there.

All thoses blue baskets on 6 actualy belonged to one of the head mechanic's from AstroWorld. I found this out while working with his son years ago at Mac Haik Ford. There were also several of these in back of the park by the shop that served as employee break areas.

I think he had some idea about making gazebo's out of them, but never did.

About the train tracks being moved.... I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the tracks were ever moved. The park maps were not exactly what you could call accurate.

Archived