Commute Times

So I commute to Westchase every day (BMC Campus). Takes about 30-45 minutes to get there in the mornings, assuming I leave after 8am...about 45 minutes to an hour to get home if I leave at 5pm (which is rare). The earlier I leave the worse the traffic in the morning...the later I leave the better the traffic in the evening. After 6:30 it takes me about 20 minutes to get home so I usually stay and work or work out.

Oddly enough, as far as the "far-flung" burbs go, Cypress is about as close to the Westchase District as Katy is. You wouldn't think so, but it is, commute-wise. Sugar Land is much closer than either one. But much closer still means 20-30 minutes in traffic.

Just ranting...what about your commute?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 miles, 25 minutes, from Cinco Ranch to Westchase District (Westheimer and Wilcrest area) due East and West on Westheimer and Westheimer Parkway.

I am usually getting on the road about 7:10 and heading home about 4:45 on average.

I'm in outside sales, so it depends on where I'm heading that morning. The office is downtown, but I try to skip it when I can. Luckily, I can avoid peak travel times on most days. :)

249 & Louetta --> Downtown 25-30 minutes each way

My husband works near Uptown Park & must travel at peak times.

249 & Louetta --> Post Oak 40 minutes (when he avoids 290)

Post Oak --> 249 & Louetta 1 hour :angry2:

10-15 minutes from Eastwood to Allen Pkwy at Waugh, pretty much regardless of time of day.

My commute rant: tonight me and a number of collegues from our midwestern offices have to go to Katy for dinner at one of the exec's houses. He is very proud of his million dollar home on the golf course.

Is it me, or is it bad form to bring in out-of-towners in for meetings, who are scattered between downtown and uptown in different hotels, most w/o rental cars, and then rather than meet for dinner near the office, expect them to drive an hour in traffic (or be shuttled by moi) during rush hour out to the burbs for a weeknight meal?? And then, not be able to relax and enjoy a couple of drinks because you've go to drive back across town. It's looking like we can't even get orgnanized enough to take the right amount of people per car and be able to use the HOV. Grrrr! WTF?? There's a reason we have all those delicious steakhouses downtown--for business dinners! If we have to be that tight about the enterntainment budget, they should be using the technology we already have, and not fly people in to sit around a table in the first place. Grr!!!

Sorry. :blush: rant over now.

I like this question. It's interesting to see the responses. Unfortunately my departure and arrival times differ each day but drive times have only increased each year I live in this area.

Spring-Cypress/249 to Downtown

(before 6:00 am): 32 miles = 40 minutes

(6:00am to 6:30am): 32 miles = 45/55 minutes

(after 6:30am): 32 miles = 50/60 minutes (occasionally over an hour)

(before 5:00 pm): 32 miles = 40/45 minutes

(5:00 to 6:00 pm): 32 miles = 50/60 minutes (occasionally over an hour)

(after 6:00pm): 32 miles = 40/45 minutes

***4-5 Years Ago I could drive to work in under 35 minutes no matter what time I left. And I could get home in under 45 minutes no matter what time I left.

Heights to Woodway/S. Post Oak - 5.5 miles - 11-15 minutes morning / 15-18 minutes evening (or longer if I try leaving right at 5).

Mrs. Porchman's - 15 feet from bedroom to office. Poor woman, she does it before she has her coffee. (That's an additional 30 feet)

A year ago, 7 miles Heights to Galleria, <15 minutes before 7am.

Today, 22.5 miles one way Heights to wasteland, I mean west of Pearland, Almeda at 2234. 25 minutes at best, 45 minutes on the way home usually.

I find a lot of people exaggerate how short their commutes are. I have a friend who lives in Missouri City and works in Midtown. He claims its a 20 minute drive but I drove it with no traffic and it took 40 minutes easy - and I drove from Rice which is maybe 5-10 minutes closer to his place than his job is.

I find a lot of people exaggerate how short their commutes are.

It probably depends on the time you drive it.

Like I posted, my Cypress to Uptown commute takes 30 minutes in the morning. But I leave my house at 530 am. If I left at 700, it would take 2-3 times that.

West U to Bellaire (Weslayan to Fournace Place/610) 1.9 miles about 5 mins. I get up/eat breakfast/shower at 7:15a and I'm at work by 8:05. :lol: It's a beautiful thing.

I do feel for you people with the long commutes when I hear the traffic reports "50 mins on 290 from Barker Cyprus"...."45 mins from Katy to the loop"....

I fill up my gas tank about once every 2 weeks or so....

For the last 13 years, Heights to Spring via I45 27 miles took about 35 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes coming home. Two months ago our office moved to Greenway Plaza area, now 7 miles, 15 minutes in the morning, 20 going home. And much less stressful.

Greatwood (Sugar Land) to Riverway (Woodway/I-610) - via 59 North to 610 North

23 Miles

Leave Before 7:15am - 35 minutes

Leave Between 7:15am and 8:00am - 45 minutes

Leave After 8:00am - 30 minutes

Leave Before 5:00pm - 35 minutes

Leave Between 5:00 and 6:00 - 40 minutes

Leave After 6:00 - 30 minutes

The recent completion of construction on 59 has reduced my commute by at least 10 minutes each way!

I find a lot of people exaggerate how short their commutes are. I have a friend who lives in Missouri City and works in Midtown. He claims its a 20 minute drive but I drove it with no traffic and it took 40 minutes easy - and I drove from Rice which is maybe 5-10 minutes closer to his place than his job is.

My commute times are obsessively measured and cataloged using the "Elapsed Time" function of my car's trip computer.

Archived