Pearland & Shadow Creek Town Centers

bsienk

Driving home a little while ago on 518, I noticed that there is a new sign in front of the Pearland Town Center which says that the grand opening will be July 30, 2008. Buildings are springing up faster than mushrooms there. A week or two ago I was coming out of HEB and and I looked up and noticed a new cast-concrete structure with a "Macy's" banner on. I'd thought the projected opening seemed optimistic -- and it may be, if we get lots of rain again this year -- but the progress is pretty impressive. The facade is also going up on the building which (I think) is going to be the hotel.

Across the street, the building in front of HEB next to Wachovia Bank now has signs on it for Mens Wearhouse and T-Mobile.

Thinking it all over, I realize we've been singularly blest in our community to have these two new developments which exemplify the wonderful absurdity of life in contemporary Texas. We actually have not one, but two town centers! There are located directly across the street from each other! And neither one is actually anywhere close to the center of town! :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you get a chance to see also the Presidential heads on 288 just north of 2234?

There is Commercial Development all around SCR! I can count more than 10 small strip centers, hotels, plazas, grocery anchored centers, town centers, "lifestyle centers", districts, etc. going on in a 3-4 mile radio.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Can anyone get in Pearland Town Center for photos of this exciting project that will shift many shopping habits?

FYI......

CBL ANNOUNCES RESIDENTIAL COMPONENT FOR PEARLAND TOWN CENTER

IN HOUSTON (PEARLAND), TX

250 Luxury Residential Units to be Developed at Pearland Town Center

http://www.cblproperties.com/cbl.nsf/Recen...+C?opendocument

They mention something about a dining tenant called "Cork Wine Bar" anyone heard of them???? Anyway sounds nice.

FYI......

CBL ANNOUNCES RESIDENTIAL COMPONENT FOR PEARLAND TOWN CENTER

IN HOUSTON (PEARLAND), TX

250 Luxury Residential Units to be Developed at Pearland Town Center

http://www.cblproperties.com/cbl.nsf/Recen...+C?opendocument

They mention something about a dining tenant called "Cork Wine Bar" anyone heard of them???? Anyway sounds nice.

http://www.corkwine.net/

From their website:

COMING SOON TO PEARLAND AND DOWNTOWN!!!

Er, why?

Who would want to live in the middle of a mall? Looks like they're using the PTC as a test-ground...

Calling it "a mall" is something of a misconception. There's a hotel, offices, an area like a park with a lake and hiking trails. What they're trying to do is to create an urban-like mixed-use community in a suburban setting. Some aspects of it resemble the Sugarland Town Center, and I'm sure there are other examples.

I'm not sure of the occupancy rates at this similar set-up in Sugar Land, but I do know several people who live there. It's downtown / big city urban living...out in the suburbs. Seems strange to me, too. Probably will be popular with many of the people who work in the medical facilities.

No, it's not big city living, and I don't think anyone thinks that.

Years ago I lived in Adams-Morgan, one of the most urban neighborhoods of Washington, DC, with gridlocked traffic (far worse than 518), higher crime than any comparable area in Houston, huge numbers of pedestrians, lots of restaurants and small independent shops, etc, etc. It was exciting and stimulating, and it had both costs and benefits. I had to park on the street each night, and my car was broken into six times in a five year period.

What they're trying to create out here is an urban-like experience, not an urban experience. Residents in suburban "Town Centers" and similar communities across the country have the benefit of having places to go, things to do, shopping, restaurants, entertainment, and more within a short walk from their front doors. But they also, in that managed "Town Center" environment, have controls, such as (I imagine) a private security service, cleaning and maintenance of public areas, and a certain, shall we say, social homogeneity. There are not likely many panhandlers in a "Town Center"; I remember one followed me home from the Adams-Morgan Safeway, screaming at me all the way, and I had to call the cops. That's an extreme example, of course, but you see what I mean.

The bottom line, I think, is that the "Town Center" residents should have something truly different from a typical suburban living situation -- but it's also not at all like living in the big, bad, beautiful city.

No, it's not big city living, and I don't think anyone thinks that.

Years ago I lived in Adams-Morgan, one of the most urban neighborhoods of Washington, DC, with gridlocked traffic (far worse than 518), higher crime than any comparable area in Houston, huge numbers of pedestrians, lots of restaurants and small independent shops, etc, etc. It was exciting and stimulating, and it had both costs and benefits. I had to park on the street each night, and my car was broken into six times in a five year period.

What they're trying to create out here is an urban-like experience, not an urban experience. Residents in suburban "Town Centers" and similar communities across the country have the benefit of having places to go, things to do, shopping, restaurants, entertainment, and more within a short walk from their front doors. But they also, in that managed "Town Center" environment, have controls, such as (I imagine) a private security service, cleaning and maintenance of public areas, and a certain, shall we say, social homogeneity. There are not likely many panhandlers in a "Town Center"; I remember one followed me home from the Adams-Morgan Safeway, screaming at me all the way, and I had to call the cops. That's an extreme example, of course, but you see what I mean.

The bottom line, I think, is that the "Town Center" residents should have something truly different from a typical suburban living situation -- but it's also not at all like living in the big, bad, beautiful city.

I almost moved to Adams Morgan in 1993, but got a job in NYC instead. My friends lived there for years though. Fun neighborhood, but definitely a bit scary. My friends were each mugged and had other somewhat unsettling experiences. I guess it was worth it for the energy, restaurants, location, etc.

Now, in my advanced age as I look forward to moving to Pearland, I have to say I'm ready for a less urban urban experience. Somewhere I can feel safe bringing the kids, not worry about the car being broken into. Maybe in a yet more advanced state of age when the kids are grown I'll move back to the city and resume my lost hipster lifestyle!

Huh! I lived in Adams-Morgan from 1987 to 1994, waaay back before I became middle aged. :-) My apartment was on a corner of Adams-Mill Road across from the back of the zoo. When I left my window open at night, sometimes I could hear the lions roaring in the early morning. Most of the time I loved it. The worst part, really, was the parking. Most apartments seemed to have all been built in or before the 1920s, long before the idea took hold that apartment residents might also own cars. Thus, there was the nightly parking hunt upon coming home from work...

The crime wasn't really bad then, except that I was mugged in my car at an intersection in neighboring Columbia Heights when I was driving home from work. That was an area that burned in the 1968 riots and only started recovering in recent years, after I moved away. After being mugged, I would drive ten miles out of my way to avoid that section. Unfortunately, my job in the suburbs was no where near Metro, so I had to drive.

I can very easily imagine moving to a "Town Center" or a "District" (maybe next to that bunch of Presidential heads?) in a few years, when the time comes that I want to down-size and no longer have to take care of a house and a yard. I don't think I could cope with the genuine urban environment again, unless I could turn back the clock and be in my 20s again, too.

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure of the occupancy rates at this similar set-up in Sugar Land, but I do know several people who live there. It's downtown / big city urban living...out in the suburbs. Seems strange to me, too. Probably will be popular with many of the people who work in the medical facilities.

Information at Sugar Land's website says it's sold out. I guess some people love it.

• 3 weeks later...
That's it! Thanks.

Never been to one. Are they any good?

If you like the exact same thing as Chili's, Applebee's, or TGI Friday's, then yes. Are they just running down a checklist of generic chain places in order to set some record that they have them all in one place?

those mall type developments tend to do that.....everytime you see a Target a TJ Maxx, Marshalls, payless, dollar tree or something similar are close by

but that's why they call suburbs cookie cutter.......no telling how much the galleria may fork over to these developers to do that which keeps their place unique

If you like the exact same thing as Chili's, Applebee's, or TGI Friday's, then yes. Are they just running down a checklist of generic chain places in order to set some record that they have them all in one place?

Cheddar's is MUCH better than Chili's, Applebees & TGI Friday's. Cheddar's will be a great addition to the Pearland area as well as La Madeline.

Archived