Over Crowded Park & Ride Buses

ricco67

On this week's "move it!" there has been quite a few people complaining on how the P&R buses (busses?) are beyond standing room only, but that relief will be on the way this summer with an additional 50 buses that are due to arrive.

The thing I have noticed when I'm trapped on Louisiana street during rush hour as of late, is the amount of people that are trying to "slug" onto private cars on their way home has been increasing since October and the lines are definitely longer than they used to be.

While the article only focuses on one route, I wonder how prevalent this problem is with the other P&R's destinations.

On an interesting side note, I've ran into a number of people from out of town that find it curious that the professionals actually LINE UP to get on the bus, I guess this is not a common practice in other cities.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that relatively speaking METRO's Park & Ride service is as successful as it is makes me wonder why there isn't more of a push for commuter rail. I would think it above light rail would gain the support of suburban to city commuters (which seems to be the case).

it is the total trip time that would hurt ridership. having to switch to another mode of transportation to get to your ultimate destination would most likely add time.

sound like METRO is monitoring demand and trying to respond appropriately by shifting less utilized resources to higher demand areas. plus the 50 add'l buses will pickup the shortfall.

yeah i understand why metro wouldn't want to push too much towards an organized "flexible car pool" approach, where people in their own cars can pick up riders going the same route (less people taking the bus, less money) - but it would be nice to see the city push for something like this. every so often i go home to see my parents in clear lake after work, but the traffic is obviously not great. i sometimes try to see if i can get a Park and rider to pick up, but i also don't like trolling in the bus lanes with the window open. it would be great if there was almost a common spot for this...

Actually, it is a fairly common thing to find. All you have to do is know what to look for.

I occasionally pick up a slug when I find myself on the wrong side of the traffic commute and happily pick up people. The only awkward time for me is when I find a single female and ask another female to join us.

The only awkward time for me is when I find a single female and ask another female to join us.

That can be awkward, red wine helps...giggidity giggidity!!! (inside joke from another thread)

On topic...I think the park and ride is great, and really just as good or better than rail in most cases for getting to a destination, but they should look at improving getting on and off the HOV lane (ie have HOVs lanes directly to all park and ride locations) and improve flow on the lane. It can be very frustrating sitting still on the HOV lane for 30 minutes due to traffic...maybe make the HOV lane bus only...or increase the amount of passengers for use (ie 4)...

That can be awkward, red wine helps...giggidity giggidity!!! (inside joke from another thread)

On topic...I think the park and ride is great, and really just as good or better than rail in most cases for getting to a destination, but they should look at improving getting on and off the HOV lane (ie have HOVs lanes directly to all park and ride locations) and improve flow on the lane. It can be very frustrating sitting still on the HOV lane for 30 minutes due to traffic...maybe make the HOV lane bus only...or increase the amount of passengers for use (ie 4)...

LOL.

Well, I-10 actually has a limit, but I hardly see it (or any other rules) enforced on that HOV lane.

it is my hope that eventually the HOV lanes will figure out some way to increase traffic, but they need an exit for enforcement so they can kick people off.

Another thing is a MINIMUM speed should be imposed on there. As I have discussed on another thread, I get a little irritated when someone goes 50 on HOV and traffic is doing 60 on the main lanes.

The fact that relatively speaking METRO's Park & Ride service is as successful as it is makes me wonder why there isn't more of a push for commuter rail.

Why spend a large chunk of change to provide a duplicate service with steel tires instead of rubber?

Why spend a large chunk of change to provide a duplicate service with steel tires instead of rubber?

I think that is the issue here...but the allure of rail for everyone is the speed and isolation from traffic disturbance. I think buses work just fine, but keep them seperated from other traffic as much as possible to limit delays and you have the best of both worlds...Houston just needs to work on the "keep them isolated from traffic delays" part....

Well duh...you save tons of money on tire replacements if you use steel.

But seriously, buses aren't immune to traffic backups. Trains are.

On an interesting side note, I've ran into a number of people from out of town that find it curious that the professionals actually LINE UP to get on the bus, I guess this is not a common practice in other cities.

People lining up for the bus was one of the weirdest things I noticed when I moved back to Texas from Boston 10 years ago. There, you staked out your spot at the bus stop or light rail platform and hoped that the train or bus would stop with the door directly in front of you. And if it didn't you just pushed your way into the crowd that formed wherever the door did stop. There were more passengers than seats and it was every man for himself.

When I first saw it I thought lining up was rather naive and small-townish, but now I think it's quite civilized and polite. No one in New York or Boston or anywhere else would even THINK about lining up, nor would they think it rude or untowards to push their way in front of someone who had obviously been standing there longer.

interesting side note, I've ran into a number of people from out of town that find it curious that the professionals actually LINE UP to get on the bus, I guess this is not a common practice in other cities.

A sociologist could have some fun doing a compare and contrast between Park & Ride patrons and the 'regular' METRO users. At crowded stops like Louisiana/McKinney which serves the 221, 222 and 228 P&R routes everyone lines up single file in numerical order, 221 on the left, 222 in the middle and 228 on the right. Woe betide some newbie who just wanders up and tries to hop on out of order!

Even at less crowded stops like Louisiana/Texas there's an informal hierarchy where each of the six or so patrons knows who's been there the longest wating and they get on first, followed in order of 'seniority' even though no words are exchanged.

At the terminus, SRO riders get off first as their reward for having to stand the whole way home, followed in order from the front of the coach, left-right-left-right and the whole bus empties out in about 40 seconds flat! Emergency airplane evacuations should go so smooth!

IMHO, P&R riders are busy professionals and like routines; having a standard operating procedure means one less thing to think about. Also, you're likely to see the same people over and over - you don't want to become known as "the jerk who tries to get off first"! :P

There, you staked out your spot at the bus stop or light rail platform and hoped that the train or bus would stop with the door directly in front of you. And if it didn't you just pushed your way into the crowd that formed wherever the door did stop. There were more passengers than seats and it was every man for himself.

It depends on the bus stop. The Eastex/Humble/Kingwood stop under the Humble Lofts has no room for lines but it's still very orderly.

People lining up for the bus was one of the weirdest things I noticed when I moved back to Texas from Boston 10 years ago. There, you staked out your spot at the bus stop or light rail platform and hoped that the train or bus would stop with the door directly in front of you. And if it didn't you just pushed your way into the crowd that formed wherever the door did stop. There were more passengers than seats and it was every man for himself.

Sounds great. :rolleyes:

I guess this is what we have to look forward to here also if mass transit becomes more adopted in Houston. It kind of makes me wonder why people are so excited about having a crowded urban core with mass transit from all over the region leading to it. I don't look forward to jostling with strangers to get on a bus or train.

^^Maybe you should read his second paragraph.

trains are affected by traffic otherwise they wouldn't be stopping in between stations.

Not commuter trains. They can hold more passengers than buses (and they can also be double-decked). Commuter rail can be added (and still keep some buses).

Not commuter trains. They can hold more passengers than buses (and they can also be double-decked). Commuter rail can be added (and still keep some buses).

Right. We're not talking light rail, we're talking commuter rail. Real live big passenger trains that hold the equivalent of 20-30 busses at a time and run on dedicated railroad ROW away from automobile traffic.

And while I like the orderly lining up to get on the bus, I think mass transit otherwise in Houston - in particular the lack of true commuter rail and the short-sightedness of removing railroad tracks along already crowded thoroughfares to add more car lanes is terrible (thanks, John Culberson!).

I don't look forward to jostling with strangers to get on a bus or train. me neither

I think some part of the 'train bias' lies in the perception of the rider demographic. As I stated above, the P&R clientele is different from the regular "guess-why-the-other-passengers-aren't-allowed-to-drive-cars" METRO patrons. If that's the case, then some of the rationale against buses in dedicated guideways goes away. Separate from other traffic, plus the option of travel on city streets for the last/first mile obviating the need for a modal change.

In re. jostling, Houstonians generally pride themselves on being freindly and polite (comment I heard from a member of the NFL's Superbowl committee in 2004, "Wow, everyone's so damn nice!). Not sure if it's Southern hospitality mixed with Texas openess (my opinion), or if everyone's just not sure who's packing and it's R.A. Heinlein's "An armed society is a polite society."

I think it's an anomaly in Texas, but from what I've observed and taken part in, this sort of thing is commonplace in New York, Chicago, and to my recent surprise, Phoenix.

Meet some new people and get out of your bubble. :)

my bubble is surprisingly large. we met someone tonight who was describing how christ church cathedral brings the homeless in (him) and allows them to shower and wash their clothes in CCC's new facility on the weekends.

:lol:

My thoughts exactly. Everytime someone posts about rail, I imagine musicman throwing objects at his computer screen, then walking onto his porch to yell at the neighborhood kids. :D

i'm not that bad....yet!

Archived