Spot The Editor Contest

editor

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the contest is over. No winner. There were several HAIFers at the implosion, but none so brave as to whisper the phrase that pays.

One last chance: I'm sitting in the lobby of the Hilton-Americas. I'll be here for the next 45 minutes. I'm the big bald dude with the silver Powerbook. The first person to ask for the nano gets it. You have 45 minutes.... GO!

15 minutes later, we have an update:

Some crafty HAIFer called the hotel and had one of the concierges claim the nano on their behalf. Sneaky! I have given the nano to the appropriate person (I'm not mentioning names so nobody bogarts it). Now identify yourself, you cad!

Well, the contest is over. No winner. There were several HAIFers at the implosion, but none so brave as to whisper the phrase that pays.

One last chance: I'm sitting in the lobby of the Hilton-Americas. I'll be here for the next 45 minutes. I'm the big bald dude with the silver Powerbook. The first person to ask for the nano gets it. You have 45 minutes.... GO!

DAMMIT! If I had not been sleeping in from the outrageous Bachelor Party Saturday Night, I could have read this and had my buddy who was staying at the Hilton run down and gotten it. D'oh !!!

15 minutes later, we have an update:

Some crafty HAIFer called the hotel and had one of the concierges claim the nano on their behalf. Sneaky! I have given the nano to the appropriate person (I'm not mentioning names so nobody bogarts it). Now identify yourself, you cad!

Who won?

Where there's a will there's a way ;) .

You are kidding me, we had an anomymous reader win this.

He literally just signed up now to remark on this. I mean this is the guys first post. Geez, I was hoping at least a contributer would have won it.

Anyways, congrats on the win . . . :P

He literally just signed up now to remark on this. I mean this is the guys first post. Geez, I was hoping at least a contributer would have won it.

114997066_65e11d5a0b.jpg

That really does suck, but I guess we all had an equal chance to win it.

Trae, I believe Posh, might have been the winner on that.

Actually, I'm the person who called the concierge. However, I did not end up with the ipod. The concierge explained to me what happened after the fact, but I'd like to hear it directly from the Editor himself, just to make sure there was no deception involved.

Actually, I'm the person who called the concierge. However, I did not end up with the ipod. The concierge explained to me what happened after the fact, but I'd like to hear it directly from the Editor himself, just to make sure there was no deception involved.

I have to give kudos to a clever deal. I hope everything works out.

As far as I know there's nothing to explain. I handed it to the concierge and never saw it again. I sat around in the lobby for another 40 minutes or so waiting for my room to get cleaned (which didn't happen until 5pm! *ahem!*) and then went upstairs and did some work, ordered room service and went to sleep about 8:30.

If torst called the concierge, then as far as I know torst should have gotten the iPod. If posh ended up with it, I don't know how unless torst gave it to him.

As far as I know there's nothing to explain. I handed it to the concierge and never saw it again. I sat around in the lobby for another 40 minutes or so waiting for my room to get cleaned (which didn't happen until 5pm! *ahem!*) and then went upstairs and did some work, ordered room service and went to sleep about 8:30.

If torst called the concierge, then as far as I know torst should have gotten the iPod. If posh ended up with it, I don't know how unless torst gave it to him.

Heck, I bet I could have made it downtown in 40 minutes too ... but I'm not hatin'.

Ok, Wayne told his side, and I like to think that I KNOW Wayne would not deceive any forumers on a contest. He has sent me HAIF stuff that I didn't even know I was gonna get.

So, now what did the little deviant concierge tell you ?

I never saw the ipod. Over the phone, the concierge told me a story after the fact that sounded plausible. I won't post the details here because it would compromise my ability to identify myself to both parties involved.

I just called the hotel and that concierge is not at work at the moment. Wayne, are you still staying there? If not, I'll try to get phone numbers so that the two of you can speak directly.

I never saw the ipod. Over the phone, the concierge told me a story after the fact that sounded plausible. I won't post the details here because it would compromise my ability to identify myself to both parties involved.

I just called the hotel and that concierge is not at work at the moment. Wayne, are you still staying there? If not, I'll try to get phone numbers so that the two of you can speak directly.

I checked out Monday morning.

I think you should explain yourself here. There's little need for secrecy in the HAIF community. And more importantly, since this was a contest a certain level of transparency is called for. I think everyone should hear what you have to say. If the concierge is keeping it from you, then that's between you and her and her soon-to-be-former employer.

As for iPods, this is the last time I'm going to give one away in a HAIF contest. Too much trouble. Next time it will be empty shoe boxes or something else with a lower temptation threshold.

I think you should explain yourself here. There's little need for secrecy in the HAIF community. And more importantly, since this was a contest a certain level of transparency is called for. I think everyone should hear what you have to say. If the concierge is keeping it from you, then that's between you and her and her soon-to-be-former employer.

As for iPods, this is the last time I'm going to give one away in a HAIF contest. Too much trouble. Next time it will be empty shoe boxes or something else with a lower temptation threshold.

Seems like the temptation threshold was insufficient to support the "chocalate bar" approach, but plenty sufficient for someone to engage in a phone call with a hotel concierge. Honestly, this doesn't surprise me.

My advice: keep the rewards the same, just find a middle-ground on the psychological costs you seek to inflict upon people.

Well, I've discussed this with the Editor, and it's apparent that we have a case of a concierge who decided to lie to both of us so that she could keep the ipod for herself. Pretty amazing, huh?

It gets even better: She wrote the gloating post above, as Posh2184, from the hotel. Wayne has the IP address and other identifying details about it recorded. I'm sure her employers will be interested in that. Add to that the hotel's security cameras; the hotel's own computer records; two pissed-off witnesses eager to raise a big stink with the hotel manager and file a police report; and a large crowd of readers of a forum that includes members of the local media, and you have a pretty stupid mess for someone to put herself into . . . all for an ipod with the HAIF web address engraved on the back.

I don't get it.

Anyway, I'll be over at the hotel later today to file a complaint with the management, and see if I can get an officer to let me file a police report from the lobby in front of her desk.

I do hope the concierge is reading this post. If she's lucky, she'll be there, run into me, and hand over the ipod as she had promised -- before I reach her manager and the police. If she's smart, she'll send me an email through this forum and arrange to resolve this before then. But so far, she's been neither.

(A special note to the concierge: Make sure the person you give the ipod to is able to confirm details of the conversation we had. Yeah, it's a pretty obvious point, but if you ended up giving away the ipod to the wrong person and still got busted, it would be just too ironic.)

Archived