Great Southwest Building At 1314 Texas Ave.

Jax

I was downtown this morning before the sun rose (~6 am) and I noticed there were lights on in the "Great Southwest" building near the top. I thought this building was abandoned. Is it being renovated or something, or are there squatters in there? Or am I wrong that it has been abandoned?

I was downtown this morning before the sun rose (~6 am) and I noticed there were lights on in the "Great Southwest" building near the top. I thought this building was abandoned. Is it being renovated or something, or are there squatters in there? Or am I wrong that it has been abandoned?

I've wondered the same thing.

Nope. It is alive and kicking. A group of investors bought it out of foreclosure over 10 years ago. It has been somewhat renovated, but really only the lobby has been redone well. The rest is just new carpet and paint. I officed in this building for 5 years, from '98 to '03. It is mostly an office building for small law firms. Irma's Southwest Grill is located on the ground floor.

We had lunch here Friday. Good stuff, but don't expect Tex-Mex.

The lobby has some nice touches, especially over the elevator banks (Mayan heads).

Also at Irma's Southwest Grill is UH Basketball 'Cougar Talk' with Tom Penders from 7-8 pm on 790 The Sports Animal.

• The title was changed to Great Southwest Building
  • The title was changed to Great Southwest Building At 1314 Texas Ave.

Archived