CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

http://www.globest.com/news/1171_1171/houston/171283-1.html

HOUSTON-Bailey, Banks & Biddle has become the latest tenant to commit to retail space in the $500-million CityCentre at Town and Country. The jeweler will sign an agreement this week to take 7,000 sf for 10 years, bringing retail preleasing to 30% in the 1.1-million-sf project.

Shawn Merecki, vice president of leasing for Houston-based developer Midway Cos., says more retail deals should be secured within 30 to 90 days. He says the project's 539,319-sf retail component most likely will be 70% preleased by the grand opening in April 2009.

Also under construction is the project's 475,000-sf office component. Merecki tells GlobeSt.com that the three-building office collection is already 60% preleased, adding the office space could be 90% committed by the grand opening.

FYI... Article today on the Houstonist about the brownstones: Room With a View

Funny article, and true, $800K is a lot to spend. You can get something in uptown at the cost, which is better in location and in scenary.

In order for a "City Center" to work, you need government/communty type locations. So as ugly as the post office may seem, it is a nice convenience.

Funny article, and true, $800K is a lot to spend. You can get something in uptown at the cost, which is better in location and in scenary.

In order for a "City Center" to work, you need government/communty type locations. So as ugly as the post office may seem, it is a nice convenience.

I understand the Post Office may be getting a face lift, so maybe that will help.

I find it funny how these city center concepts promote the live/work concept. Like the 18 year old juicer at Jamba Juice is going to go home to their $800K townhouse...

dunno about others but t&c will have offices. with professionals. they hope.

I find it funny how these city center concepts promote the live/work concept. Like the 18 year old juicer at Jamba Juice is going to go home to their $800K townhouse...

...the Vice President of some businesses in the complex will be doing that. There won't be many of them though.

Yeah, they're advertised as live/work/play spots, but really they're just live and play.

But I did drive by this last night and it's really looking good. And I think those brownstones are in a pretty good location. I think I saw a neighborhood (along w/ the post office) across the street that won't be going anywhere. Plus, it seems as if people with a lot of money in Houston don't always care what's across the street, to a certain extent. For Houstonians, it's more about location. How else can you explain some of the positions huge houses and expensive townhomes are placed yet still dwelled in?

Yeah, they're advertised as live/work/play spots, but really they're just live and play.

But I did drive by this last night and it's really looking good. And I think those brownstones are in a pretty good location. I think I saw a neighborhood (along w/ the post office) across the street that won't be going anywhere. Plus, it seems as if people with a lot of money in Houston don't always care what's across the street, to a certain extent. For Houstonians, it's more about location. How else can you explain some of the positions huge houses and expensive townhomes are placed yet still dwelled in?

But this is not a good location for the price. You can get a single family home in a better location with a huge yard and a pool for a lot less than this. I drive by these brownstones all the time and wonder what the developer was thinking.

I would certainly like to live here for $200k less.

That neighborhood isn't so much across the street as it is behind a huge brick wall. I mean, yes, technically it's across the street -- but not accessible from City Centre unless you go all the way around by Memorial Middle School or by Bendwood Park. The other more established neighborhoods are separated from City Centre by the Beltway. Not exactly pedestrian-friendly. At least they've recognized the fact that most people will drive to City Centre instead of walking, and salvaged the old T&C Mall parking garages for that purpose.

But this is not a good location for the price.

This was my point exactly. $800k is a little ridiculous.

You know, sometimes they don't ring up the charge. . . if you know what I mean. "One sale for Jamba Juice, one sale for me. . . ." (and no I never worked there, but I have heard of that kind of activity at any little bar, Starbucks, Jamba, Smoothie King. . . etc)

But they could also be the sons or daughter of the rich mom and dad. Part-time work and not having a car.

Not exactly pedestrian-friendly. At least they've recognized the fact that most people will drive to City Centre instead of walking, and salvaged the old T&C Mall parking garages for that purpose.

I would not be surprised if City Centre and Memorial City combine and share a common city trolley that travel between the two developments in the future, which could pick up the neighborhoods in between. Wishful thinking.

That neighborhood isn't so much across the street as it is behind a huge brick wall. I mean, yes, technically it's across the street -- but not accessible from City Centre unless you go all the way around by Memorial Middle School or by Bendwood Park. The other more established neighborhoods are separated from City Centre by the Beltway. Not exactly pedestrian-friendly. At least they've recognized the fact that most people will drive to City Centre instead of walking, and salvaged the old T&C Mall parking garages for that purpose.

Yeah, it is behind a wall. But my point was not so much that the neighborhood will be able to use this 'walkable' development, but that it produces a nicer and permenant setting for the Brownstones. And the times that I've driven by there, there has been almost no traffic, so from my experience, the street they're on is not really a through street, which is also nice for them. Or am I wrong on that?

This was my point exactly. $800k is a little ridiculous.

Yeah, I see yalls point on the price. But the other factors aren't too too bad. I wonder if they'll have to end up going down on them. They have a great location. Lots of shopping and two freeways, plus memorial drive.

Edited by lockmat

Yeah, it is behind a wall. But my point was not so much that the neighborhood will be able to use this 'walkable' development, but that it produces a nicer and permenant setting for the Brownstones.

Looking at the photo.

061108_backofhome.jpg

An issue I see is that there are no back "alleys" for your garage, car access, plus trash. A true browntown will have parrallel parking in front of the home.

brownstone.jpg

2 floor plans do have front doors and rear garages, and 2 have front doors and front garages.

The latter of the 2 so-called brownstones are just glorfied 3-story townhomes with front driveway after driveway, pretty much eliminating any possibility of street side parking. And on trash days, people will be walking by your trash cans lined up along the sidewalk in front of you home.

Classy. <_<

Edited by Pumapayam

dunno about others but t&c will have offices. with professionals. they hope.

city centre I is already 100% leased, and II is at least 50% (probably more)... if they can find a major tenant for III (and maybe they already have), that's a decent amount of office workers.

btw, i definitely agree with yall on the borwnstones... $800K is ridiculously expensive, imo.

Edited by swtsig

And the times that I've driven by there, there has been almost no traffic, so from my experience, the street they're on is not really a through street, which is also nice for them. Or am I wrong on that?

It wasn't always a "busy" street. Even today, I wouldn't call it "busy" like I'd call Westheimer busy. But for a little side street, it gets a lot of traffic from people detouring around the traffic at I-10 and the Beltway, going to the post office (which has a pretty brisk business), and shortcutting in general to get to the back of Bed, Bath & Beyond and Fuddrucker's and Pappasito's and all that other stuff that faces I-10 but has a rear entrance from that area.

My concern is that when City Centre is finally finished and there's a lot of traffic heading to and from the development, that street will become much busier than it already is and those brownstones literally dump you out right onto the curb of that street. There's a small sidewalk, but no room for anything like trees or any real buffer from the noise or constant traffic (think about the headlights shining in at night, etc). I wouldn't want to live there, is all. :)

If The Woodlands can get 750,000 for theirs I see no reason CityCentre (in Memorial, in the City) can't get 800,000 for theirs.

Just saying....

Daaang, that's what they cost? At least they are more secluded, except for the one row along that major road I can't remember.

Looking at the photo.

061108_backofhome.jpg

brownstone.jpg

2 floor plans do have front doors and rear garages, and 2 have front doors and front garages.

The latter of the 2 so-called brownstones are just glorfied 3-story townhomes

Classy. <_<

Half your statement is correct. Those "so called brownstones" don't qualify as "glorified 3-story townhomes", they qualify as nice apartments with a townhome layout. I really had high hopes when the brownstones were anounced, but unfortunately they took the cheap route.

By the way, $800,000 is a joke.

went by today. oh my god, the traffic. midway better hope the the BW8/i10 disaster gets fixed SOON. hell, throw some of the tribble workers out of the bridges. i was excited about citycentER but will now avoid that area like the plague. from memorial to 10 on bw8 feeder took 25 mins, no wreck.

some building looks like it has tenants , AT&T for one. its finished super nice, white exterior w/ some tiling....is this still the center or something else? the ones in the crane area look to be a drab tan color.

I-10 will be completed soon. Not like its permanent.

loooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Uh huh... before this development opens? i wonder. The first few months are very telling for an establishment's success - the way the access is for the forseeable future is a complete joke. which is why i said the developer better cross their fingers...

I have no idea what an looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool is.

But anyway, this thing will be a success. I-10 won't really hinder it. At least not now. I mean, this isn't anything close to being T&C Mall here.

If you go to the KatyFreeway web site and read the prospectus and articles associated with it, there is a HUGE push to get I-10 done and NOW.

i have ever confidence the "nightmare" will be over soon. (probably by the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2009)

m.

loooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Uh huh... before this development opens? i wonder. The first few months are very telling for an establishment's success - the way the access is for the forseeable future is a complete joke. which is why i said the developer better cross their fingers...

HUH? You have a huge portion of Memorial ( and their income) that have very easy access to this. Town and Country Village does a booming business and it's not exactly accessible from I-10 or the Beltway.

Most of us in the area use Memorial for getting around anyway, so I-10 access isn't an issue. Due to the amount of disposable income around here, I think it will have great success. It's built more as a CityCentre for the area, not a tourist attraction.

Most of these other Centers and Markets aren't visable from the freeways either.

If you go to the KatyFreeway web site and read the prospectus and articles associated with it, there is a HUGE push to get I-10 done and NOW.

i have ever confidence the "nightmare" will be over soon. (probably by the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2009)

m.

Apparently it's going to be finished in the Beltway area by October. And by the looks of it, it will be. I am amazed at what they have done in 4 years.

HUH? You have a huge portion of Memorial ( and their income) that have very easy access to this. Town and Country Village does a booming business and it's not exactly accessible from I-10 or the Beltway.

Most of us in the area use Memorial for getting around anyway, so I-10 access isn't an issue. Due to the amount of disposable income around here, I think it will have great success. It's built more as a CityCentre for the area, not a tourist attraction.

Exactly. I live in the area too and I'm really looking forward to having a few more shopping and eating options. The Memorial villages area may be a nice place to live but there is a shortage of businesses because of the restrictions on development in Bunker Hill and Piney Point. This project will fill a need for the people who don't have to get on a highway to get to it.

Most of these other Centers and Markets aren't visable from the freeways either.

I think you missed the point....We arent talking about demographics...of course the area is great.

I was referring simply to access. You have 2 huge freeways surrounding it and currently the only 2 feeders into the development are the little post office curved road (t&c ln) and the one leading to escalante's (t&c blvd).

So my main point was the bw8 feeder going N to 10. IF construction doesnt change before cc opens, this is not a viable access point. Just sucks they could not acquire all the land to 10. Once the roads are finished (yes i believe they will be one day, but not before this centER is ready), it would be ultimate to have I10 and BW8 feeders pull DIRECTLY in , as well as the aforementioned back roads.

Edited by jc281

FYI - The Cost Plus World Market is no longer open at the Town & Country location. Suppose the freeway interchange construction just killed it. It's a mattress store now. The one on Richmond & 610 is still there. Don't know about the 1960 store. Decided to go to Macy's & Dillard's at Memorial City, boy was that a mistake. Saturday at 12:00 noon. Couldn't get out of that "@!$#^&*" place fast enough. The intersection/underpass before Gessner was closed, what a mess. Won't find me over there anytime soon!

FYI - The Cost Plus World Market is no longer open at the Town & Country location. Suppose the freeway interchange construction just killed it. It's a mattress store now. The one on Richmond & 610 is still there. Don't know about the 1960 store.

Yeah, sadly Cost Plus closed in February of this year: Heads Up!

Now the closest location is by the Galleria, and god knows there's enough traffic to contend with on this side of town without purposely driving twenty or thirty minutes over to some more traffic just for Cost Plus. I was seriously bummed about their decision to close, although I really doubt the legitmacy of their claim that "construction" forced them to close. It's not as if light rail was being installed out front or something. What a cop out.