CityCentre: Mixed-Use Development At 800 Town And Country Blvd.

Parrothead

• 1 month later...

CityCentre signs first round of high-profile retail tenants

Houston Business Journal - November 10, 2006by Allison WollamHouston Business Journal

After months of speculation about the tenant lineup at Midway Co.'s CityCentre, several prime retailers have confirmed plans to occupy the much-buzzed-about mixed-use project.

Eden Prairie, Minn.-based Lifetime Fitness, Dallas-based Studio Movie Grill and New York-based RA Sushi will all be a part of the planned project, located at the southeast corner of the Sam Houston Tollway and Interstate 10. CityCentre -- which is being developed on the old Town & Country Mall site -- will also include lofts, a hotel, shops and more restaurants.

After a sample site plan complete with the names of proposed retail tenants slipped out into the public this summer, Houston-based Midway Co. has remained mum about details on CityCentre. And the center's leasing agent, Nick Hernandez of Page Realty Partners Ltd., refers all questions regarding the center to the developer.

Mark Anawaty of Midway Co. could not be reached for comment on the first batch of tenants to have committed to the project, which will eventually encompass 350,000 square feet of commercial space.

But Lifetime Fitness has confirmed that it is bulking up its Houston presence with its first three-level facility, which will be one of the anchors of CityCentre.

Meanwhile, cinema-eatery chain Studio Movie Grill plans to open a new 36,000-square-foot theater in CityCentre by the end of next year.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...3394000^1374812

• Like 1

But Lifetime Fitness has confirmed that it is bulking up its Houston presence with its first three-level facility, which will be one of the anchors of CityCentre.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...3394000^1374812

On a side note, where the hell did Lifetime and LA Fitness come from all of the sudden.

I could swear Bally's and 24 Hour Saturated the market here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Globe Street.com has a "Glimpse of Stories to Come" section. One of this afternoon's "Glimpses" is in Houston: "$500M Mixed-Use Project Gets Under Way"

BLVD Place, perhaps? Houston Pavilions has previously been billed as a $200 million project, so it's not that . . . unless they've got some big surprises for us.

Just found some more information: Looks like it's referring to City Centre (the former location of Town & Country Mall).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Patience, Grasshopper. :-)

The project will include 500,000 square feet of office space; 400,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and entertainment space; a 217-room luxury hotel topped with 16 condominiums; 375 apartments; 250 urban lofts; 40 brownstones and a 140,000-square-foot fitness facility.

CityCentre will be able to boast several "firsts" for the Houston area when it opens in 2008.

Houston-based Valencia Group will build its first hotel in the Bayou City in a joint venture with Midway. Restaurants Eddie V's, Z Tejas and Brio Tuscan Grille will open their first Houston locations in CityCentre.

Minnesota-based Lifetime Fitness is building its first urban concept in the country there -- a three-story, 140,000-square-foot fitness center.

And Dallas-based Studio Movie Grill will build its first ground-up location in Houston featuring first-run films and a full menu.

Houston Business Journal has the scoop.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, it says they started construction last month.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Oh, I heard about this thing. I made a thread on it (it might have been at my Atlanta board's Houston section).

I'll post what I posted over there, here:

City Centre: Houston

masterplan.jpg

This development is where the old Town&Country mall was. Website is here: http://www.citycentrehouston.com/citycentre/index.php

Total Retail Space: 560,000 sf

Total Surface/On-Street Parking: 344 Spaces

Total Garage Parking: 3,577 spacess

siteplan_lg.jpg

Some renderings:

location.jpg

vision.jpg

^^New Residential^^

living.jpg

map.jpg

More:

p_tcaerial3.jpg

p_tcaerial2.jpg

p_tcaerial.jpg

More: Town & Country Redevelopment

Edited by Trae
  • Like 1

Sounds incredible. I'm just confused about the location ( I don't know much of Houston except Downtown area to Sugarland). Where exactly is this going to be located and what is the area like now?? Is the neighborhood surburban like or more urban??

Edited by troyboy
  • Like 1

So in the course of a few weeks we've begun the Park Tower, Houston Pavilions, and City Centre?!? Not to mention BLVD Place which is around the corner. Wow! I think all the developments we've been salivating over are finally kicking off. I can't count that high but there must be several million square feet of development in these 3 projects alone.

• Like 1

It also looks like High Street is at least moving in the direction of getting off the ground in the not too distant future.

Of course, as usual, we just shrug our shoulders at the Med Center activity :) .

It's too bad that the former HISD site in Greenway Plaza is turning out to be so controversial, otherwise you'd really have something to talk about there (especially with the Metropole and the infill near Lakewood Center).

• Like 1

Wow! I think all the developments we've been salivating over are finally kicking off.

Unfortunately, they still can turn out like this, but lets pray that it does not! :angry2:

Costco Fiasco

It also looks like High Street is at least moving in the direction of getting off the ground in the not too distant future.

Of course, as usual, we just shrug our shoulders at the Med Center activity :) .

It's too bad that the former HISD site in Greenway Plaza is turning out to be so controversial, otherwise you'd really have something to talk about there (especially with the Metropole and the infill near Lakewood Center).

Update: Too funny, I just posted the same thing!

• Like 1

So in the course of a few weeks we've begun the Park Tower, Houston Pavilions, and City Centre?!? Not to mention BLVD Place which is around the corner. Wow! I think all the developments we've been salivating over are finally kicking off. I can't count that high but there must be several million square feet of development in these 3 projects alone.

If I'm not mistaken, Memorial City and Astroworld will both have mega-redevelopment projects of their own, too. That and the Downtown Park. Houston's gonna look real nice in 3 years when all five are complete.

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, Memorial City and Astroworld will both have mega-redevelopment projects of their own, too. That and the Downtown Park. Houston's gonna look real nice in 3 years when all five are complete.

Maybe a new light rail line between Memorial City and CityCentre! :rolleyes:

How many blocks will be between the two when both projectsare all fnished? Or will they almost be connected?

Not likely "connected", as the TC development (City Centre) and the Memorial City development are about a 1/2 mile (8-10 blocks roughly) apart geographically. Although, I agree that maybe a limited service trolley (subsidized in part or in whole by the two developments or some shared governing body) could be a winner. If you do that, though, I think you need to charge a fare of some kind from day one. METRO's downtown trolley system was successful for the most part but it was free when introduced--entirely subsidized by METRO/the Feds--but then METRO tried to charge a fare to cover some of the escalating costs and that, along with the opening of METRO Rail, killed the service.

I'd charge a basic $0.25/$0.50 fare at the onset so that it doesn't come as a shock to the system and you'd have some form of revenue coming back to you.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

Since it looks like this is going to be built in phases, how long do they predict until this project is completely finished?

Hopefully not as long as Sugar Land's town center, it looks like they stopped and they still have two empty lots to fill in.

CityCentre

As we were speaking, Nancy Sarnoff has an article in today's Chron. Enjoy. Houston has so much building going on that it is hard to keep up with all the new stuff. Over at the old Allen House is an urban center, CityCentre, Mosaic, 2727 Kirby, the Endeavor highrises ... we haven't even begun to name all the action. houstonfella is happy. :D

Edited by houstonfella