Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

We are back from LA and the auto show was terrific. We went last Friday and so the crowds were light. However, the bigger thrill was randomly running into an Audi test crew with the upcoming R8 electric (the e-tron). We were driving up the PCH to Santa Barbara, and pulled off at a beachside rest-stop just north of Malibu, where they were sitting with the e-tron and a couple of Q7 TDIs. We were only feet away from it, kept from getting closer by the highway patrol. We have a video of it (to highlight its silence at full uphill throttle), which I'll post as soon as I find it.

4190552591_878d70e277_b.jpg

Edited by travelguy_73

We are back from LA and the auto show was terrific. We went last Friday and so the crowds were light. However, the bigger thrill was randomly running into an Audi test crew with the upcoming R8 electric (the e-tron). We were driving up the PCH to Santa Barbara, and pulled off at a beachside rest-stop just north of Malibu, where they were sitting with the e-tron and a couple of Q7 TDIs. We were only feet away from it, kept from getting closer by the highway patrol. We have a video of it (to highlight its silence at full uphill throttle), which I'll post as soon as I find it.

4190552591_878d70e277_b.jpg

Welcome back. :) I really like this, can't wait to see the production version, and if its very similar to the concept form, I would be very excited. It has been said thought that there may be only 1,000 units of this vehicle. :(

2011 GMC Acadia Denali

2011-gmc-acadia-denali-6.jpg

2011-gmc-acadia-denali-4.jpg

2011-gmc-acadia-denali-3.jpg

The 2011 Acadia Denali will hit showroom floors late next year and will be available in both front- and all-wheel drive in seven- or eight-passenger form. The package will include a brace of signature Denali design cues: monotone paint, honeycomb grille, unique front and rear fascias, along with HID headlamps, chrome accents and exhaust tips, and the usual badges. The Acadia Denali will also get special six-spoke 20-inch wheels like the polished jobbies seen above. The model will be available in Quicksilver Metallic, Summit White, Carbon Black, Red Jewel Tintcoat or White Diamond Tricoat.

Inside the Acadia Denali, you'll find all of GMC's top-level bells and whistles: Premium audio systems with XM, perforated leather, heated and cooled seats, mahogany accents, a heads-up display, the Dual SkyScape sunroof system, plus tri-zone automatic climate control, satellite navigation, Bluetooth, OnStar, rear-seat DVD, a rearview camera and even remote starting (in case you find yourself living near either Denali or Acadia!). No pricing has been announced, yet but hopefully we'll get more details at the Detroit Auto Show next month.

http://www.autoblog....enali-for-2011/

Edited by Urbannizer

2010 Detroit Auto Show

It's been a tough year for Detroit. Car sales in the tank, bankruptcies left and right and constant meddling from Washington. What could possibly pull the Big Three out of the muck?

The 2010 Detroit Auto Show is a good start. It's widely considered the biggest and most important auto show in the world. The art of the splashy reveal was perfected at the Detroit auto show and few manufacturers, whether foreign or domestic, miss the chance to show something new.

The 2010 North American International Auto Show, as it's officially called, will feature the usual lineup of major introductions along with a strong emphasis on the emerging electric car segment. A new "Electric Avenue" display area will showcase the latest in alternative-power vehicles right alongside the traditional show stands.

Coverage starts on Monday, January 11.

http://www.insideline.com/auto-shows/detroit/2010/

http://www.naias.com/

This is the Aston Martin Cygnet luxury city-car concept. It's based on the Toyota iQ. I guess Aston Martin saw how the Smart was going for MB and is testing the waters with this concept.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091216/CARNEWS/912169998

http://primary.newspress.co.uk/LINKS/59332ast/59332ast.htm

59332ast+.jpg

59332-a-ast+.jpg

59333-b-ast+.jpg

Edited by JLWM8609

Caught: 2011 Audi A1, and yes thats Justin Timberlake

Audi-A1-02.jpg

Following a teaser video that only showed the upcoming Audi A1 in graffiti form, the premium hatch has been revealed via an Internet leak. The 2011 Audi A1 was caught out in the open while on location with Justin Timberlake for a photo shoot. Audi recently selected Timberlake to be the spokesman for the new A1. Previewed by the Metroproject Quattro and A1 Sportback concepts, the production A1 will take on BMW’s MINI brand. Originally thought to be offered in four-door guise only, the teaser video indicates the A1 will be available as a two-door model.

The A1 is expected to hit the European market shortly after its Geneva debut, but U.S. sales are still in question. However, the latest photos were sourced from a Los Angeles photo shoot, but it remains to be seen if that has any bearing on where the A1 will be sold. Audi has reportedly set a sales target between 100,000 and 120,000 units annually.

http://www.leftlanen...om/audi-a1.html

Edited by Urbannizer

I really wanted wanted to see the 2010 Saab 9-5 on the streets. sad.gif

2010 may be the last Saab ever made. Good riddance to a pathetic, European car maker.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gm-totals-saab-2009-12-18

Destruction derby

GM scraps once-proud Saab

Several top government officials rushed to Trollhattan, home of Saab since its inception in the 1930s, to assure factory workers, suppliers and the community at large that all is not lost, though it's far from clear to anybody right now what can be saved.

Hey Sweeden! Screwballs! Why don't you buy Saab, yourselves?! Because nobody wants it. Not even anyone in Sweeden.

2010 may be the last Saab ever made. Good riddance to a pathetic, European car maker.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gm-totals-saab-2009-12-18

Destruction derby

GM scraps once-proud Saab

Several top government officials rushed to Trollhattan, home of Saab since its inception in the 1930s, to assure factory workers, suppliers and the community at large that all is not lost, though it's far from clear to anybody right now what can be saved.

Hey Sweeden! Screwballs! Why don't you buy Saab, yourselves?! Because nobody wants it. Not even anyone in Sweeden.

What's wrong with Saab? What makes you say they are pathetic?

While GM has just killed a Vehicle Brand, Fiat is adding a new one to Chrysler. RAM- It will be made up of SUV's, CUV's, Pick-Ups and Vans.

(They added the New Chrysler Logo as well.)

Ram-Chrysler.jpg

Following its October announcement of a new stand alone RAM brand, Chrysler is appropriately updating its Auburn Hills, Michigan headquarters. Workers were spotted earlier on Tuesday affixing the new RAM brand logo to Chrysler’s HQ sign.Confirming numerous rumors, Chrysler announced in October that it will split its Dodge lineup into two separate brands: The Dodge RAM division and the Dodge Car division, each with its own president and CEO. The automaker also shuffled its top executives.

http://www.leftlanen...hrysler-hq.html

Edited by Urbannizer

2011 Ford Super Duty11_sd250_014-1253816098.jpg

11_sd250_028.jpg

The new Super Duty debuts with a new look, new diesel engine called "Scorpion" 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8, and an all-new 6.2-liter gas-powered V8 (NOTE: This should be the same 6.2-liter V8 destined for duty in the F-150 SVT Raptor). Ford has still not released power figures for either engine, but the Power Stroke diesel does have the ability to run on B20 biodiesel.

http://www.autoblog....th-two-new-eng/

Edited by Urbannizer

While GM has just killed a Vehicle Brand, Fiat is adding a new one to Chrysler. RAM- It will be made up of SUV's, CUV's, Pick-Ups and Vans.

(They added the New Chrysler Logo as well.)

http://www.leftlanen...hrysler-hq.html

I really don't think creating a Ram brand will help their prospects any. I would question the need for a separate Dodge brand. Of course Fiat mgt. has cooked up the idea that Chrysler can be pushed up-market, but that seems a bit of wishful thinking.

It's a bit much, isn't it? :mellow:

What's wrong with Saab? What makes you say they are pathetic?

Saab, what a weird brand. I've only known three people in my whole life that have owned a Saab. One was a cooky professor in college, another was a gay boyfriend of my sister. His vehicle was always in the shop, and he called it his "Sob" story. The other was a preppy new hire out of A&M. He drove in with a Saab convertible and parked that "girl car" out amongst our Suburbans, Tahoes and F150's. It looked ridiculous. Nobody in construction can drive something like that and be taken seriously.

Saab, what a weird brand. I've only known three people in my whole life that have owned a Saab. One was a cooky professor in college, another was a gay boyfriend of my sister. His vehicle was always in the shop, and he called it his "Sob" story. The other was a preppy new hire out of A&M. He drove in with a Saab convertible and parked that "girl car" out amongst our Suburbans, Tahoes and F150's. It looked ridiculous. Nobody in construction can drive something like that and be taken seriously.

Not manly enough, huh? Actually one of my best friends owned three Saabs in a row, so he was driving one for about 15 years. He eventually switched to an Isuzu, so you can see he has a knack for choosing loser brands. That said, I think for a time Saabs were considered somewhat cool because they were a tad out of the mainstream.

Re: Rebranding the 9-5 as a Buick. Why bother?

Saabs are/were more of a regional car brand. When living in the northeast, I would see Saabs on a regular basis, which I always assumed was because they are FWD vehicles and can handle snow, yet can still give the owner that sense of snobbery for owning a European import. I'm not sure how Saab is a "girl car", but okay.