Bahai Faith Of Houston At 2419 Fannin St.

gazhomme

There is a Midtown Town hall meeting at the Bahai center on 2419 Fannin St from 7:00pm to 8:30pm.

This is being put together by the Midtown Management District, local business and Carol Alvarado's office. I'm not sure of the official agenda of the meeting, but it would be safe to assume it would be consistent with the agenda of a town hall meeting.

Townhall Meeting info from the Midtown Management District site.

http://www.houstonmidtown.com/midtown.cfm?a=cms,c,2,0

Here is a map to the location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...wloc=A&om=1

There is a Midtown Town hall meeting at the Bahai center on 2419 Fannin St from 7:00pm to 8:30pm.

This is being put together by the Midtown Management District, local business and Carol Alvarado's office. I'm not sure of the official agenda of the meeting, but it would be safe to assume it would be consistent with the agenda of a town hall meeting.

Townhall Meeting info from the Midtown Management District site.

http://www.houstonmidtown.com/midtown.cfm?a=cms,c,2,0

Here is a map to the location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...wloc=A&om=1

Hmm.... wish I had known sooner. Will have to look to the calendar more often for the next one.

Did anyone attend this?

i went for 45 mins with a friend of mine.....SOS..... there were more police there than residents. most of the questions centered around male prostitution, grafitti and the homeless. the police responses were that they are actively pursuing the prostitute problems. the lady from mid town district said it is residents responsibility to report grafitti. one thing that was mentioned was that midtown was patrolled by 2 police substations depending on which side of Louisiana (i think was the dividiing line) you lived on. people were wondering how much the 2 districts worked together. the police said they were but the looks on some of their faces made me think otherwise.

I've never noticed blatant prostitution either, but I guess it exists. Maybe I don't go to the right part of midtown at the right time.

In Montreal, I remember seeing girls walking the streets in certain parts of town who were obviously prostitutes, but I've never noticed anything like that here. Maybe because I walk less here than I did in Montreal, or it's less obvious here. I don't doubt that it exists, it's just that I've never seen it here.

Male prostitution is indeed a problem and has been since 2002.

I drove by it every day for a year until I figured out those were not your normal gang wannabees.

I just thought they had an itch down there. Now I know the offical signal.

It's sick.

Edited by MidtownCoog

I'm glad I've never seen it, and please don't tell me exactly where it is, because I don't want to see it, but I hope it can be cleaned up somehow.

I was just looking at a condo and a townhouse in midtown, and they both seemed really nice, but the biggest thing problem I think is that the closest metro rail station was Downtown Transit Center. I currently live near the Museum District station and I've never had any problems taking the train from there, but walking to the Transit Center station every day might not be a lot of fun.

Edited by Jax

Male prostitution has been a problem in Midtown for years. We moved there in 1998, and were calling HPD almost daily in an effort to get something done. Occasionally there would be progress, but until someone starts taking pictures of the customers and sends notes to their home addresses, the business will carry on. Most of the customers are well to do black males "on the down low" - lots of expensve cars stop to pick up the prostitutes. Some of our former neighbors (we left Midtiwn after having a child and wanting a real yard) confronted the prostitutes and were threatened or told to mind their own business.

Carol Alvorado always struck me as a waste of space. She promised a lot, but nothing ever happened. When we first moved to Midtown, the HPD Captain was Mark Aguirre, who got results, but was so disliked by the street officers that it was like pulling teeth. Attitudes were really bad. After Aguirre was run off, Dwayne Ready beacme Captain. He's a politician in uniform, very personalbe, but not really engaged with the community. I made the suggetion one time to have a patrol car just park near the prostitutes - if there' sno business, they will go away - but was told that it was impractical due to a lack of manpower.

^

Concur Ross. I was speaking with some friends on friday about this and they said that they see black men on the DL daily circling the block. The prostitutes sit at the bus stops, waiting for a customer. If the bus comes, they temporarily leave the bus stop, only to return after the bus leaves.

IMO HPD just doesn't have the manpower to deal with petty crime like this. Petty crime sure does lower quality of life.

so they are using the bus stops as their place of business? CLASSY! (lol)

Carol Alvorado is a joke. S. Jackson is a joke as well (with the exception of racial issues, which she handles very well). I have sent her many emails regarding several things as well as the mayor and it is always the same garbage sent back. I have left messages as well only to receive a response that has nothing to do with my issue.

• The title was changed to Midtown Town Hall Meeting Tonight
  • The title was changed to Bahai Faith Of Houston At 2419 Fannin St.