811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

would the project be a failure otherwise?

I didn't say that, all I said is they didn't mention retail. Somebody on here told me there was going to be retail, and I am personally interested to know whether that is true or not. The Chronicle didn't mention retail, and neither did the official press release.

I don't think retail could make or break this project, but retail could possibly benefit main street. Even with all of the empty retail space, it takes empty space to make something great in the future. If everybody designed their projects to have no retail space, there will be no possibility of a vibrant street in the future. At least with empty space, there is a possibility of it filling up in the future.

I think retail might factor into the LEED certification somehow. The Chronicle mentioned that the Discovery building was going to have retail, as a part of it's LEED certification, or something like that. But until we get some real credible information, it's all speculation. Unless somebody has insider info that I don't know about.

Edited by Jax

I don't know much about demo... are there other ways besides implosion to take down a 11 story building ?

i don't know much about it either, but another option is wrecking ball.

it doesn't seem that there is a whole lot of room for the swing of the crane, line, and ball...

i don't know much about it either, but another option is wrecking ball.

it doesn't seem that there is a whole lot of room for the swing of the crane, line, and ball...

I would imagine implosion would be the way to do it. Another option would be to dismantle the building floor by floor.

This is being done right now on the 40 story Deutsche Bank Building in NYC. The building was severely damaged by the collapse of WTC 2 and tore a 26 story hole in the facade of the building. During the disaster the sprinkler system filled the building with water. After not being inhabited for over two years, black mold grew over everything and on top of that, over 300 human remains were found in and on the building. Therefore the building is being taken down floor by floor, piece by piece. The once 40 story building is now down to 26 floors.

Look back at the Chronicle's main picture of MainPlace. See all that clear glass store front on Main Street? Thats retail. It also has retail back on the corner of Fannin and Rusk, though its not much (think Starbucks or something of that ilk). Total retail SF is roughly 10k.

As for the site...the buildings are not interconnected around Stowers. The Stowers does not touch anything else...there are alleys on all sides. The Montague, which is 12 stories, will be imploded, while the West Building may or may not be imploded.

The photo of Main Street looked like a huge glass lobby entrance to me. I'm glad I may be wrong.

It seems to me that this tower is a win, win situationn regardless of whether it has retail or not. What I mean, is that this tower will house a few thousand workers, which in turn will inject money into the surrounding Main street area. Main already has a number of boarded up retail spaces, so this could help revitalize those locations... At least during the work week.

Look back at the Chronicle's main picture of MainPlace. See all that clear glass store front on Main Street? Thats retail.

No.. that's lobby. Big, overthetop lobby space like every other new skyscraper has.

The only place there might be retail would be the smaller glass area at the base of the garage.. so we're talking half a block along Main maybe.

As for the site...the buildings are not interconnected around Stowers. The Stowers does not touch anything else...there are alleys on all sides. The Montague, which is 12 stories, will be imploded, while the West Building may or may not be imploded.

Beatty-West is extremely close to stowers -

6gt9c36.jpg

and even closer to Bond:

6gjcnlc.jpg

Edited by sevfiv

If I'm not mistaken, this is the block that will be demolished?

Houston7-22-07032.jpg

HoustonDT5-3-07077.jpg

HoustonDT5-3-07081.jpg

On the bottom:

HoustonDT5-3-07090.jpg

Houston7-22-07035.jpg

HoustonDT5-3-07076.jpg

And to the right:

HoustonDT5-3-07080.jpg

And this is what I found on Windows Live Local, the block in the middle:

Houston1.jpg

If so, though I prefer older buildings than new glass skyscrapers, I think this new office tower will be an improvement here.

Edited by Boris

Houston7-22-07032.jpg

Why are there always people hanging out on that corner? Is there a bus stop, or something? I always see people just standing around on this corner, but why?

Houston7-22-07032.jpg

HoustonDT5-3-07077.jpg

HoustonDT5-3-07081.jpg

On the bottom:

HoustonDT5-3-07090.jpg

Houston7-22-07035.jpg

HoustonDT5-3-07076.jpg

And to the right:

HoustonDT5-3-07080.jpg

And this is what I found on Windows Live Local, the block in the middle:

Houston1.jpg

If so, though I prefer older buildings than new glass skyscrapers, I think this new office tower will be an improvement here.

Good lord, what did you do? rent a copter to get these shots?

I'm gone for a day and and there are a ton of posts on this.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the logistics for the construction are going to be a pain on this job, especially with the time frame they have put on themselves.

Deconstruction isn't much of an option with their schedule they put themselves in. I'm sure that if there was absestos in there, they would have taken it into consideration.

They might have the wrecking ball starting on the Rusk/Fannin corner and work their way in. I'm trying to wrap my head around how're they're going to do it with minimal traffic lane closures and intrusion upon Club Quarters...

which reminds me, their Valet is going to be a major pain. The current procedure is for them to park across the street in the lot, drive down Walker, to main, and then to the Rusk entrance.

Once Demo/construction starts, northbound traffic on main gets shut down. So that means they will have to go all the way to travis to circle around. Kinda' makes me feel bad for the valet guys.

then why isnt mainplace in front of one park place? and it still doesnt have a pic and neither does discovery green.

I was the one who updated the page for MainPlace, and it takes a while (up to 2 days) sometimes for the changes to appear on the public version... so maybe later today the info should be updated everywhere.

I also added pages for 6 Houston Center and the new Duncan College at Rice in the process.

When it comes to renderings, I can't upload a scan from the paper at this point since there's probably a better version available which would be released soon enough.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews