Sheraton-Lincoln Hotel At 711 Polk St.

Disastro

Another interesting development, i was talking to the Doorman and was making a casual comment about the hotel and he winced. He then proceeded to tell me that parking was going to be an absolute nightmare.

When I suggested (somewhat playfully) that they should tack on 5 more floors to the garage, he mentioned that reliant owns the garage! I did NOT know that! Who knew? What in the world are they going to do for parking?

I guess no one has a clue. Anyhoo....Turns out the exterior is starting to decay a bit faster than anyone realized. A couple of small chunks fell from the 4th or 5 floor a couple of days ago (One measuring about 10 inches long and 4 inches thick) and they might have to put something to protect the people walking underneath it. I just happened to talk to a gentleman walking by inspecting said damage and commented that it's STILL not a sure thing. something about making the numbers work.
That strikes me as very unlikely to be true. The people doing this are experienced in the hotel and development businesses; They surely inspected the building thoroughly and crunched the numbers exhaustively before buying the building (and they have already bought the building... the new owners took title earlier this month).
Another interesting development, i was talking to the Doorman and was making a casual comment about the hotel and he winced. He then proceeded to tell me that parking was going to be an absolute nightmare. When I suggested (somewhat playfully) that they should tack on 5 more floors to the garage, he mentioned that reliant owns the garage! I did NOT know that! Who knew? What in the world are they going to do for parking?
Whose doorman? Again, this strikes me as highly improbable. Developers and hotel operator/developers don't generally just walk in and plop down probably seven figures for a building without first inspecting it and knowing whether it includes parking space... Calm down everyone... The bathroom attendant at the Houston Club told me it's a sure thing. Work will begin soon. Edited by Houston19514

That strikes me as very unlikely to be true. The people doing this are experienced in the hotel and development businesses; They surely inspected the building thoroughly and crunched the numbers exhaustively before buying the building (and they have already bought the building... the new owners took title earlier this month).Whose doorman? Again, this strikes me as highly improbable. Developers and hotel operator/developers don't generally just walk in and plop down probably seven figures for a building without first inspecting it and knowing whether it includes parking space... Calm down everyone... The bathroom attendant at the Houston Club told me it's a sure thing. Work will begin soon.

Sorry I wasn't being specific, the Doorman of the HYATT told me that the attached garage was used (purchased) primarily for the Reliant Building.

Believe me, I have more ears on the ground than you give me credit for.

As far as said inspection, I'll be sure to tell the rock he has to go back up on the building since apparently it wasn't supposed to fall.

Is that new? The Sheraton parking was used by the Hyatt for a long time when they owned the building. Maybe Reliant didn't buy the garage, but just contracted out use of the spaces.

I can't believe that parking would be that much of a nightmare. That part of downtown is loaded with parking garages and surface lots. Nobody is going to die if they can't park in the same building as the hotel.

Sorry I wasn't being specific, the Doorman of the HYATT told me that the attached garage was used (purchased) primarily for the Reliant Building.

Believe me, I have more ears on the ground than you give me credit for.

As far as said inspection, I'll be sure to tell the rock he has to go back up on the building since apparently it wasn't supposed to fall.

Do you really think the hotel developers didn't notice the pieces falling off the building before they purchased it?

And again, (and agreeing with Subdude) there is no way the hotel developers purchased the building without having a clue of how they were going to handle parking. No offense, but I think you need to look for some new "ears on the ground." The ones you have now don't seem to be serving you very well.

Edited by Houston19514

Do you really think the hotel developers didn't notice the pieces falling off the building before they purchased it?

And again, (and agreeing with Subdude) there is no way the hotel developers purchased the building without having a clue of how they were going to handle parking. No offense, but I think you need to look for some new "ears on the ground." The ones you have now don't seem to be serving you very well.

Have you heard of home inspectors overlooking bits and pieces? Why yes! you've heard them on this board from other people.

Whether they overlooked it, or it was unexpected (there IS a difference), if they KNEW concrete was falling off the side of the building, do you think that MAYBE they would put up some pedestrian barriers to prevent like, Oh...say a LAWSUIT, or do you think they left the sidewalk open for funsies and open up a "hit the person on the head" pool?

How many times have YOU been surprised after you purchased your home and said, "Wow....that waterheater went suddenly!" or "That fence needs to be replaced."

get over yourself.

Yes, I would have expected that they would have looked closely at the parking situation, but that would be too logical. I've seen bigger screwups before involving bigger screwups.

As far as my "ears" on the ground goes, I could have said "I talked to someone HIGH up the food chain" but I didn't. I said the truth of what my source is. Reasoning for this is that if the freakin' DOORMAN knew about it, it's public knowledge and my revealing it won't get anyone fired. That's why I post things the way I do. There are things I find out that only a few people know and I don't want to cut off my sources. So excuse me if I don't post up sources that are the people the actual movers and shakers.

ricco, we all appreciate your "ears on the ground". Houston19514, i think, is a rationalist (to a fault). but, he could be less abrasive. bachanon politely nudges Houston19514. i wouldn't get too upset over his contradictions. he has good information too.

has anyone discussed how long the renovations are going to take? when should the new hotel be open for business?

Have you heard of home inspectors overlooking bits and pieces? Why yes! you've heard them on this board from other people.Whether they overlooked it, or it was unexpected (there IS a difference), if they KNEW concrete was falling off the side of the building, do you think that MAYBE they would put up some pedestrian barriers to prevent like, Oh...say a LAWSUIT, or do you think they left the sidewalk open for funsies and open up a "hit the person on the head" pool? How many times have YOU been surprised after you purchased your home and said, "Wow....that waterheater went suddenly!" or "That fence needs to be replaced."get over yourself. Yes, I would have expected that they would have looked closely at the parking situation, but that would be too logical. I've seen bigger screwups before involving bigger screwups. As far as my "ears" on the ground goes, I could have said "I talked to someone HIGH up the food chain" but I didn't. I said the truth of what my source is. Reasoning for this is that if the freakin' DOORMAN knew about it, it's public knowledge and my revealing it won't get anyone fired. That's why I post things the way I do. There are things I find out that only a few people know and I don't want to cut off my sources. So excuse me if I don't post up sources that are the people the actual movers and shakers.
We shall see soon enough.
has anyone discussed how long the renovations are going to take? when should the new hotel be open for business?
Mid-2009. Parking will be available at a former K-mart in Humble with shuttle service provided from there. Because, oops, nobody thought about the need for parking for a 400 room hotel ;-)

Just to clear a couple of things up.

The group that purchased the building owns the parking garage below the building. Once construction starts the garage will be closed. Currently the Hyatt and individuals lease out parking in the garage.

As far as the pre-cast falling off the building - Eng. have reviewed and are in the process of reviewing the skin on the building. Some spawling on the pre-cast panels does exist. The owners are working on a plan to mitigate this situation. It just will take a little time.

The hotel is scheduled to open Sept. 09

Edited by DTG

September 2009 seems like a reasonable goal at this point, assuming that they don't come across something unforseen in the current structure that might require serious abatement.

The asbestos has already been abated. The building is just a shell now - frame and concrete floorplates.

• 1 month later...

I had to do a double take on thursday when I saw a crane take away the booth from the parking lot across the street from the future Omni. Didn't think much of it until Friday when I saw that it was closed off. Even the Hyatt bus was parked off to the side (blocking a sidewalk, I must add).

Anyone know about what's going on? DTG? Is this connected to the Omni or has something ELSE slipped uner the radar?

I had to do a double take on thursday when I saw a crane take away the booth from the parking lot across the street from the future Omni. Didn't think much of it until Friday when I saw that it was closed off. Even the Hyatt bus was parked off to the side (blocking a sidewalk, I must add).

Anyone know about what's going on? DTG? Is this connected to the Omni or has something ELSE slipped uner the radar?

The current plan is to close the sidewalk on Polk and one lane of traffic to install a dual cab exterior hoist. We are expecting to have this hoist in place for 6-9 months until we get the interior elevators running. Anticipated start date is Jan-Feb 07.

Also the existing garage will be closed to the public once construction starts.

• 2 months later...
They Hyatt shouldn't complain too loudly. They owned the Sheraton building and sold it when their own redevelopment plan fell through.

Any news on this project? Nothing seems to be moving at the site. Someone posted on this thread a while back that Jan-Feb 07 would be a start date. Maybe they meant 08.

• 1 month later...
That article said that the Sheraton was to be made into a "luxury" hotel? I thought that Sheraton Hotels have always been classified as "luxury." AARP classifies them as "upscale."

No...... Haha, I worked at one for a short stint. Perhaps overseas and some of their resort properties may appear luxurious. Upscale is more appropriate and applies to Hilton, Marriott, Westin, and Sheraton.

But I'm excited about the Omni. They are kinda innovative in the way that they try to appeal to all your senses. Sounds, scent, taste... feel. Etc.

They are going to have a LOT of work though. I parked underground there recently and choose to take the stairwell up to the ground floor (instead of walking up the ramp which is the only way to get down) and when I pushed open the door to enter the abandoned elevator bank with street access there was someone sleeping at my feet!

• 2 weeks later...
That article said that the Sheraton was to be made into a "luxury" hotel? I thought that Sheraton Hotels have always been classified as "luxury." AARP classifies them as "upscale."

"Upscale" is probably the appropriate term for Sherarton - they are very nice, but Starwood has the Westin, W, and St Regis brands for the "luxury" niche

Edited by TxDave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been by a few days ago. If there is work being done, I haven't seen any evidence of it.

The project is still in a holding pattern. They are waiting on Financing. The projected start date is Jan. 09.