Coca-Cola Bottling Plant At 707 Live Oak St.

gnu

might be too late - i just heard that most if it is gone already :(

Well, if we get lucky, please try to grab one. I will even pay you for the trouble, they look kinda bulky.

You know what is really great, is that whoever owned the property had the absolute genius to paint the structure in Coca-Cola colors.

Edited by TJones

Wonder what will replace it?

That looks like a very sound and well cared for property. Would have made really cool lofts or loft-office space. Great location too. Oh well.

It probably WILL become lofts, by people with no foresight or REAL vision of what type of ICON they just destroyed.

Edited by TJones

Guest danax

All I have to say is......ah, forget it. Another one "Isabeled" (I think Maria Isabel deserves to have a new verb coined in her honor):angry2: The Warehouse District is running out of warehouses.

I suppose before we all jump to the conclusion that it was just another greedy ignoramus developer doing this, we might try to find out if Metro had something to do with it, since it's smack dap on the SE BRT line. I doubt it though, as this seems early for eminent domain condemnation.

Guest danax

Thanks, musicman, you've made my day.

I remember passing by and seeing the For Lease sign and wondering who would lease it and for what purpose. Obviously no one did but you wonder why they'd leave the sign up if it had sold.

Thanks, musicman, you've made my day.

I remember passing by and seeing the For Lease sign and wondering who would lease it and for what purpose. Obviously no one did but you wonder why they'd leave the sign up if it had sold.

there were some builder signs i believe on the other side. the for lease sign is probably an artifact of when leggett's moved out. i'm pretty sure i saw sevfiv there and i'll bet there will be pics forthcoming.

there were some builder signs i believe on the other side. the for lease sign is probably an artifact of when leggett's moved out. i'm pretty sure i saw sevfiv there and i'll bet there will be pics forthcoming.

ahh - i knew that was you! :D

yeah, taking its place is "Capitol Oaks Two" - hopefully they aren't the same design as the lovely ones across the way :rolleyes:

legdem004.jpg

legdem001.jpg

legdem007.jpg

legdem002.jpg

legdem005.jpg

legdem003.jpg

Edited by sevfiv

Guest danax
people will buy anything is all i can say.

And especially the popular InTown/Lovett patio homes with the faux historic cobblestone street and front porches <_< .

The building is just another tough loss but the positive is that the sardine suburbia continues to build over there. And, it also might be considered transit oriented development.

check out their news on their website:

Jun/27 - InTown teams up with internationally acclaimed design firm Duany Plater-Zyberk.

Mar/23 - InTown recognized as pioneer in revitalization of Houston Ave.

Dec/15 - InTown makes U.S. history with privately-funded cleaning of Superfund site.

more revitalization to the corner of live oak and capitol!

Somehow I think Duany would be aghast that they had a cool building like the Coke plant and couldn't find an adaptive reuse for it.

heck i think most people would think it would be neat to at least have the plant facade with their boring townhome inside.

boo!

What a loss! That building would have made great loft space. How can a concrete frame warehouse not be a suitable candidate for adaptive re-use?!

I really don't understand the mentality of our local developers and buyers. You would think people who are in the market for lofts would rather live in an old building with a lot of character, than some cheaply built "faux-authentic" version of one...

check out their news on their website:

Jun/27 - InTown teams up with internationally acclaimed design firm Duany Plater-Zyberk.

Somehow I think Duany would be aghast that they had a cool building like the Coke plant and couldn't find an adaptive reuse for it.

heck i think most people would think it would be neat to at least have the plant facade with their boring townhome inside.

boo!

Yeah, I went to the Duany design charrette presentation last night at MFAH. Duany made an ass of himself. He showed up very late, made every effort at every possible opportunity to compliment the developer, Frank Liu, in the most fake and obnoxious way, as though Frank was the only developer in town that did anything right or had any insight at all. Stroking a client's ego in a public setting is pretty typical of a consultant, but most people have the good taste to keep it subtle so that it appears genuine. Duany did not.

Duany started out by explaining New Urbanism. He claims that Houston isn't market-driven because there aren't at least two square miles of a truely urban environment. He pointed to Portland and Toronto as market-driven places--at which point he lost credibility in my eyes for obvious reasons.

The conceptual plans that he presented ranged from uninteresting to unrealistic. What he had proposed for Liu's Fannin South sites had less to do with the sites that he'd been given than with a complete rebuilding of the METRO P&R station and an idea for the City to carve streets throughout the surrounding area and to create a traffic circle out of the Almeda/Bellfort/Holmes flyovers, which also have a four-way freight rail intersection running through it. Duany compared the potential of that public project to DuPont Circle. More lost credibility. Very disappointing.

And especially the popular InTown/Lovett patio homes with the faux historic cobblestone street and front porches <_< .

The building is just another tough loss but the positive is that the sardine suburbia continues to build over there. And, it also might be considered transit oriented development.

Wow, those Lovett patios outhouses are about as plain Jane as one can get. Quite depressing. Just put a TDC sign above the entrance as it resembles tiny prisons. Add a few "Stepford Wives" in them and its complete. :angry2:

Seeing that BEAUTIFUL warehouse with all of the intricate details torn up almost made me cry. Seeing what is replacing it made me want to puke.

Midtown and the Eastside are destined to be the "new" Gulfton in 20 years or the next time we have a bust cycle. The majority of new construction there is cheap cheap cheap. I can't imagine a lot of the fake stucco, suburban siding, and other types of materials will stand up well to the test of time...

And, once it starts going bad, it will turn sketch very quickly. Narrow streets with nothing but garage doors facing it will make for a South Bronx-like street scape if the yuppies leave!

• 2 weeks later...
Seeing that BEAUTIFUL warehouse with all of the intricate details torn up almost made me cry. Seeing what is replacing it made me want to puke.

Midtown and the Eastside are destined to be the "new" Gulfton in 20 years or the next time we have a bust cycle. The majority of new construction there is cheap cheap cheap. I can't imagine a lot of the fake stucco, suburban siding, and other types of materials will stand up well to the test of time...

And, once it starts going bad, it will turn sketch very quickly. Narrow streets with nothing but garage doors facing it will make for a South Bronx-like street scape if the yuppies leave!

That was one big reason we sold our Midtown townhouse and moved to Timbergrove. I looked around at the townhouses and thought "this has the potential to be a mediocre place to live in 15 years". We loved the Midtown location, and in the early days there was a major pioneer spirit amongst the new residents. Once the resales started, it wasn't as good, and we decided to leave.

Midtown, I can see as a new Gulfton if we have a major economic bust at some point beyond the next 10 years. The area east of downtown inside of about York has relatively few apartment complexes, though, and those that are there are pretty well spaced out from one another. South of Mckinney, there aren't any. And it is massive blocks of high-density apartments that create a Gulfton-like risk factor.

With medium-density townhomes and a higher rate of home ownership, there is hope. Surely, there will be some pockets that degenerate into crappy areas (the former Markle Steel site comes to mind), but there is enough of a mix of product that it won't likely be throughout IMO. Also, there are parts of Montrose that better exemplify that "South Bronx-like" streetscape than in the East Downtown warehouse district on account of that the warehouse district tends to have larger parcels of land than do neighborhoods formerly platted for single-family homes. Larger parcels mean that common area driveways on the interior of a development are more common.

Psst...hardi plank is a concrete fiber board. It may not look all that slick, but if properly installed, it'll stand the test of time far better than just about anything else.

Ditto, I always look at new buildings with a "wonder how that will look in 10 or 20 years."

I mean, most of that midtown development is going to look just awful in just a few years I think.

Some of those materials don't do well in our climate...yuk! Hardi-plank is a great product though and does just fine.

Edited by EatSleepMOD