City Of Piney Point Buys 1.7 Million Dollar Residence

KatieDidIt

Bought under an assumed name under the radar. Wow, I see a string of law suits headed their way.

Lawsuit? Who needs a lawsuit?

Whatever happened to just voting this mayor and city council out of office? Nobody in this country is elected to anything for life. They serve at the pleasure of the voters who put them in office.

People in Piney Point who're unhappy over this deal need to start circulating a petition calling for a recall election NOW. If they get enough signatures, state law requires the City Council to set a date for the election.

When they get their election, they should vote unanimously to send everybody on that council back to private life, and replace them with people who have a better understanding of the duties and responsibilities of municipal government. Some political careers need to be ended out there.

The first action of the new council should be to cancel the deal to buy that house, and then go looking for some inexpensive office space to rent.

If the citizens of Piney Point just roll over and let the people they ELECTED to office get away with doing this to them THEY DESERVE IT.

I agree with you in spirit and principal, but...

some inexpensive office space to rent

...does not exist at the moment.

Strange as it seems, they might've actually done the right thing from a fiscal standpoint, even if it was underhanded and sneaky.

I agree with you in spirit and principal, but (inexpensive office space) does not exist at the moment.

Where is the Piney Point City Hall located now? What has happened to the seat of Piney Point city government? What is preventing it from continuing to operate where it has always been? And if it is being forced to relocate, for whatever reason, why is it necessary to move city hall into the middle of a very expensive residential area?

I think the news said that their lease was coming up, and the property owner was going to increase it substantially due to the growth of value of the area. I could be 100% wrong though.

Where is the Piney Point City Hall located now? What has happened to the seat of Piney Point city government? What is preventing it from continuing to operate where it has always been? And if it is being forced to relocate, for whatever reason, why is it necessary to move city hall into the middle of a very expensive residential area?

I don't know many particulars; all I'm saying is that the rationale that was offered was reasonable enough. Key words: "...might have done the right thing..."

It was pretty sneaky. Can you imagine having night court, and all those that will be hauled into it, going on right next to your house? I was fairly sure all of Piney Point was zoned residental, other than churchs.

Not only was the lease expiring, the current city hall is not inside the city limits. State law requires some meetings and activities to occur inside the city limits, requiring the city officials to locate meeting space inside city limits for those functions.

I have little sympathy for these residents. This is THEIR city government, not Houston's or Pasadena's. Are they too good to have their own government located within their own city limits? As for purchasing the property secretly, would they have been happier if the transaction was conducted publicly, costing the taxpayers even more money? Sorry, but I don't feel the outrage. Perhaps if I was worth a few hundred million more, I might understand why my own city government should not be located within my own city.

I somewhat agree with Red, and have to add this question: How much crime could there be in Piney-Point Village to justify a night court?

Its probably speeders and DUI's going down Briar Forest. Other than that, there is little to no actual crime.

It would be a few dozen traffic tickets. Real crime would involve an arrest and transportation to the County Jail.

BTW, for those that think this location is tucked away on a quaint cul-de-sac, go to MSN.com and go to the map. Type in 230 Blalock, 77024, and click on the aerial view. Note the monstrosity of a church across the street. It is not as bad as these people are claiming.

Not only was the lease expiring, the current city hall is not inside the city limits. State law requires some meetings and activities to occur inside the city limits, requiring the city officials to locate meeting space inside city limits for those functions.

I have little sympathy for these residents. This is THEIR city government, not Houston's or Pasadena's. Are they too good to have their own government located within their own city limits? As for purchasing the property secretly, would they have been happier if the transaction was conducted publicly, costing the taxpayers even more money? Sorry, but I don't feel the outrage. Perhaps if I was worth a few hundred million more, I might understand why my own city government should not be located within my own city.

Um, Piney Point has no office buildings, nor zoned for them, this is why they lease down the road. If they had been upfront and mentioned that they might have to pursue a residental location (close to a major road) I don't think so many people would be mad. Its the buying under the assumed name with out the tax payers knowing about it that made the residents upset. Wealthy or Poor, any neighborhood would be shocked at this. You are just smug because its a wealthy neighborhood.

Um, Piney Point has no office buildings, nor zoned for them, this is why they lease down the road. If they had been upfront and mentioned that they might have to pursue a residental location (close to a major road) I don't think so many people would be mad. Its the buying under the assumed name with out the tax payers knowing about it that made the residents upset. Wealthy or Poor, any neighborhood would be shocked at this. You are just smug because its a wealthy neighborhood.

No, poor people tend not to really care one way or the other so long as their rents don't increase.

In addition to the mega churches that are around, it is also home to the Kinkaid School. Also, I could have sworn that there were some office buildings on San Felipe very very very close to Farnham Park that if they are not in Piney Point, they must literally sit on the town line with Houston. One of them is on the West side of the Bayou too so the city boundaries must get pretty funky right there...

• 1 month later...
On a brighter note it could always be worse. They could have announced a Fiesta store opening. or what about a Soccer stadium!? :wacko:

There is a Fiesta in the Houston city limits nearby the Memorial Villages.

In addition to the mega churches that are around, it is also home to the Kinkaid School. Also, I could have sworn that there were some office buildings on San Felipe very very very close to Farnham Park that if they are not in Piney Point, they must literally sit on the town line with Houston. One of them is on the West side of the Bayou too so the city boundaries must get pretty funky right there...

Yep, you are correct. Those buildings are just outside the village limits. Churches, schools, single family homes, and oddly enough.. stables are allowed inside Piney Point, no businesses. There are a lot of businesses, townhomes, etc. that sit right on the limits of the villages but you won't find any of these things inside the limits.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone think the Memorial Villages would ever consolidate to make one suburban city? Each village would still have its signage, but they would all be in "Memorial, Texas". This type of thing happened in suburban Los Angeles before, where a whole collection of little villages/communities came together to form Santa Clarita, California.

• The title was changed to City Of Piney Point Buys 1.7 Million Dollar Residence

Archived